13 Replies Latest reply: Jun 6, 2015 4:57 AM by brightlybob RSS

Is it just me or don't Marriott exclusive bonus points post automatically?

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Stupid question because I'm sure I know the answer...

I would be right in saying when I book a Marriott Rewards exclusive offer that includes bonus points they should post automatically, right?

I don't book these rates very often, in fact I've only done so twice, once last Autumn at the Marriott Worsley Park (2,500 bonus points) and once in March at the Autograph Glasshouse Edinburgh (10,000 bonus points). Both posted the normal points, neither posted the bonuses. Last year I found it the devils own job to get the bonus points from Worsley Park credited and eventually after 3 or 4 phone calls over a month MR simply posted the points as a "goodwill adjustment" which is irritating to be honest as it makes out I was pursing something I wasn't entitled to and exasperatedly Marriott threw me a bone. So now following the Glasshouse stay I'm contemplating the "ordeal-by-customer-services" experience all over again.

So to my question, I do remember when staying at an IHG hotel on a similar bonus points rate I was given a scratchcard, with a URL, scratched the panel which revealed a code to enter at the URL causing the bonus to be credited to my account. So has anyone previously booked these rates and if so, did they claim their bonus points in some way, rather than having the hotel credit them? Is that why I'm scoring a 100% failure rate here?

Or is it just because I don't floss

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Is it just me or don't Marriott exclusive bonus points post automatically?
    erc Platinum

Brightly

You have highlighted the current state of affairs of rewards travel, when consistent SOPs are loosened (and again, I'm not necessarily opposed to this - it can lead to some superb service) and we must play each stay as if it was one of the thousands of independent Best Western properties.

I have had exactly what you've described above;

I have had a reservation where the bonus was initially 3,000 points - occupancy grew and the bonus for new reservations was dropped to 2,000 points (my e-mail showed the original figure, my Marriott.com resv. showed the current 2,000)

I have had full service properties not credit my Platinum bonus (customer service does after a call)

I have had a Renaissance (my favorite brand) try to tell me I didn't receive Rewards points (meaning any) because I had such a good rate (4 e-mails later, I got them)

and on and on.  Mills Lane the Hall of Fame Boxing Referee said it best when he advised world class boxers before every bout, "Protect yourself at all times".  Even though we shouldn't have to, shame on us if we don't double check - everything. When it comes to the lodging game as in many other places, being right is overrated.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Is it just me or don't Marriott exclusive bonus points post automatically?

Thanks for your reply, illuminating, if not particularly encouraging...

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I agree with erc.  I have never booked a reservation with bonus points, so can't speak for that.  But I can speak for errors on points in general.  I have had more than one instance of a hotel getting the points wrong.  Always short, never over - strange that.    I booked 2 rooms at a UK hotel last year, one for our friends, and one for us.  I knew I would only get elite nights for one booking, but should get the points for both.  When the points were credited to my account, neither the elite nights or the points made any sense at all.  I contacted the hotel, who said they would put it right.  Their resulting "correction" simply made it worse.  So I contacted Marriott Rewards.  It was a mystery to them as well, so they scrubbed the whole lot and started from scratch.  Result!

The moral of each of the posts on this thread is, as erc rightly says, Make Sure You Check!

jessc Silver 1 Reviews

Sometimes at takes 3 to 4 days to show up.

jessc Silver 1 Reviews

Sometimes at takes 3 to 4 days to show up.

Yeah, the normal points showed up within a couple of days, but as I've never had bonus points show up correctly I've no idea if they post contemporaneously, later or as an integral part of the posting. It really is a big Marriott fail.

My actual stay was 30th March. I have now begun my "ordeal by customer services" contacting the hotel directly this morning and was promised a callback in the afternoon.

Entirely predictably the callback failed to appear... *sigh*

So, another call to the hotel. The receptionist remembers my call yesterday and says she passed it on but will now transfer me... This time my email is taken with a promise it will be looked into and dealt with before the end of the day.

It's a hassle but it's true to say both have been very helpful and are aware of the scheme and the promo, so although not holding my breath, perhaps this will end nicely after all...

Well, well.

Sometimes you go to the dentist and they tell you all the pain is in fact a small abscess, & walk out with 5 days antibiotics. Unexpectedly simple and painless!

And so it turned out here. The hotel advised these bonuses should post separately from the standard points, apologised and the credit came through last night.

So the point bonus rates are supposed to post separately and the bonus points do post somewhat later than the normal points. Allow up to 14 days after the stay...

sash19 Platinum 1 Reviews

About two weeks ago I did a bonus point reservation at a Residence Inn and both my rewards, elite bonus and special bonus points all posted at the same time. Seems once you don't get what should be automatic-you spend way too much time trying to correct their error!  I spent 3 weeks cleaning up a rewarding event that didn't credit me properly. Good luck!

janniro Silver

I have a similar, although much less serious, problem.  I stayed at the Cardiff Marriott and was informed if I spent more than £25 in the restaurant I would be given an extra 500 points for my stay.  I was not given the points and despite phone calls and promises that the matter would be looked into I have heard nothing.  The cost of phone calls is more than the value of the points so I have given up.  I guess the hotel never had any intention of giving me the 500 extra points.     

bsk Platinum

Most issues are resolved quickly with a call to the Elite Line, rarely, they have had to call me back, and that was with Extended Stay. Be positive, articulate and firm.

I started this thread a year ago! Better late than never, eh bsk

MInd you, I've just had 2 more experiences of the 10,000 point bonus offers. One was the true definition of "ordeal by customer services" and took a month to resolve, but I eventually received my 10,000 points, plus another 2 further 5,000 point credits for my continuing troubles, and the other saw the 10,000 bonus hit my account on the day of checkout!

Oh, and here's a "correct" for your 100% right answer. Polite, but firm, persistence works every time!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...