7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2014 6:39 AM by erc RSS

Redonkulous Parking Fees and Marriott Pompano Beach!!

robschafer80 Member
Currently Being Moderated

Taking a poll.....

How many of you feel parking fees have gotten simply out of hand?  I have a new word for them....REDONKULOUS!!

I'm headed to the Marriott Pompano Beach Resort and Spa. Too late, the reservation is cast.  I found a decent rate, but then asked about parking fees.  YGBSM!  $26.50 a day for valet only parking?  This is such robbery.   Let's assume I use the advertised room rate of $174 a nite.  When I add the parking fee, my room rate is now over $200 a night!   It's 15% more for the privilege of parking my car!  I went to the web site for the resort and parking is not even mentioned until you dig way down....

Be sure to click on "hotel details".  On the next page, you will find:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/fact-sheet/travel/fllpm-fort-lauderdale-marriott-pompano-beach-resort-and-spa/

So yes, the advertised rate on the hotel web site is $25.  But if you call, you can get the non-advertised bargain rate of $26.50.  Let's add some further insult.  I'm not even afforded the option of saving some tip money - I have to have the valet park my car.

Maybe if enough rant to corporate about this it will change.  I see minimal value in valet ONLY parking and certainly not $26.50 A DAY!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Redonkulous Parking Fees and Marriott Pompano Beach!!
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Yikes!  That is an unpleasant surprise... It is always good to check the fine details of the property for parking rates, resort fees, etc. 

For what it's worth, that isn't too bad.  Here in Hawaii, a lot of the properties are eternally over $200/night along with parking that runs $25+/night for self-parking.  Either way, it's an unfortunate situation

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

The parking rates are listed under "Room Details" and located on the right side of the page.  The will show valet or self parking if available.

The $26/night isn't too bad when you compare it with $48-$50 in places like Seattle or San Francisco, but I agree the rates are out of control....maybe even on the side of "REDONKULOUS".

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Redeekulus, for sure.  What do you get for that other than the privilege of seeing your car disappear in  the hands a complete stranger?

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Parking Fees has always been a pet peeve of mine.  Parking should be included in the room rate and each room should be alotted at least one parking space.  I noticed the Residence Inn next door to the Marriott in Pompano Beach charges $19 a day.

Let us know what you think of the Pompano Beach Marriott.  I've heard mixed reviews about the property.

erc Platinum

As you've noted and others above have agreed, parking is no longer a minor detail, and unfortunately appears to be here to stay. Parking expenses now become part of the decision making in booking a room. I often check the area I'm interested in, go to the property that appears to be the best value (price vs. meeting my interests) and then immediately (as a Plat) go to the superb FlyerTalk thread maintained by skiadcock  MASTER THREAD: Domestic & International Executive Lounges Open/Closed on Weekends - FlyerTalk Forums  to check on breakfast during weekends and then promptly go to Maps and Transportation on the Marriott.com site to check on parking.

There have been several examples where two breakfasts, if having to be purchased, and parking would actually approach the room rate (granted, a  good room rate deal, secured by early booking). The most recent example was a stay at the Renaissance Dupont Circle where I had a $79 pre-paid rate; two breakfasts would have been over $30 and the no other option valet parking $49.

Look how we've been trained by the industry to enjoy the thrill of complimentary! parking at places like the Marriott's Grand Chateau (and I was thrilled - five night stay = real bucks) in Vegas. That's why Insiders is so important; as some costs become locked in as fixed lodging costs, we seek value in other aspects of the trip, often suggested by Insiders. Welcome to the forum robschafer80  stick around and share more of your observations.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...