8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2014 9:50 AM by iahflyr RSS

Foreign Transaction Fee - Marriott Grand Cayman ?

ssever Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I just read this on Trip Advisor, has anyone experienced this while traveling overseas at a Marriott, and better yet, specifically at the Grand Cayman Marriott? I reached out to my credit card company (happens to be Marriott Rewards visa through Chase) and they advise that they do not charge anything additional, that the hotel will charge in cayman island $ but that the 3% transaction fee that is standard, used for the conversion to US, and typically charged to the credit card user by the credit card company, is not charged if your card waives that, which mine does.  However, this review below states something different, that the Marriott itself has added a charge and it's noted on the hotel bill that it will be assessed...whereas this individual used the card at numerous other island locations without an additional charge coming up on their credit card bill.

POSTING FROM TRIPADVISOR APRIL 2014 RE: FOREIGN TRANSACTION FEE AT MARRIOTT GRAND CAYMAN:

"When I returned home and got my American Express bill, the amounts didn't match and I was charged a Foreign Transaction fee. The hotel said they charge in Cayman dollars and the exchange rate applied by the credit card company was probably different...and the Foreign Transaction fee is levied on a percentage of the total bill by the credit card company because the charge is in Cayman dollars. What is interesting to me is that I was on the island for TWO WEEKS and used charge cards all over the island - at restaurants, activities and the Westin (where we happily spent the rest of our trip) and NO other establishment ran the charge in Cayman dollars and I incurred NO OTHER Foreign Transaction fees, except the Marriott. The Marriott says this is listed on your bill when you check out and, in fairness, after they pointed it out, I could see that it is...but I would venture to guess that I am not alone in not noticing this. I find it very disappointing that the Marriott would choose to process charges on credit cards in a way that costs their customers more money on their charge card bills after they return home, when there are obviously ways to process the charges in US dollars that do not incur these extra fees."

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Foreign Transaction Fee - Marriott Grand Cayman ?
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I just checked my hotel invoice versus what showed up on the Chase Visa statement... no fee here.  Stayed 3/2-3/9

I wonder if the writer was charged because he used AMEX?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ssever Gold

Thanks for the quick response!  It just seemed odd that he wasn't charged the extra fees on his credit card statement for all the other establishments he frequented using his card, just the Marriott. So perhaps it is simply a Marriott / AmEx related thing. Glad to know that your statement didn't show any additional charges!  I've enjoyed some of your other postings, we leave on Saturday for the Marriott Grand Cayman - woo hoo!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Same for me last year, Marriott card and no fee was applied to my Cayman stay.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

I think the TA poster should review their receipts for the other charges where there was no FTF.  Could well be they were charged in USD due to dynamic currency conversion and incurred more fees than just the FTF.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

From what I learned, when in another country ask to be charged in their currency.  Then use your Marriott card and there is no fee.  The like to charge in US dollars because they get a more favorable exchange fee.  In some hotels, including the Sydney Marriott 'Circular Key, they charge 1 1/2% fee to use your credit card.  Others may charge more.  Perhaps this fee was mistaken for an exchange fee.

ssever Gold

Thank you all for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...