11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2014 5:45 PM by jerryl RSS

Identify theft

californian Platinum 37 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

The Washington Post reports hotels are a fertile ground for identity theft rings and credit card theft rings. You have a situation where there is frequent turnover at hotels and weak background checks on employees. Plus, there are so many transactions happening and so much info being given by travelers.

It all adds up to hotels becoming a new weak point in our nation's ability to stop identity theft and credit card theft.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Identify theft
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

californian,

Great information and report!

Had no idea of the magnitude of this problem, nor the role that hotel's played in this problem.

Thanks for sharing the information!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Thanks for the information Californian. 

This certainly gives me even more reason to NOT leave my room key in the room when I check-out as that would seem to be a simple method of gaining access to many things by these thieves.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

We are at risk every time we use a card, that's for sure. Fraud protection works but at the cost of getting new cards all the time if are  victims.

I only use my Marriott card at Marriott hotels.  Some time ago, I started to get charges on the card that were not mine.  It had to be a Marriott employee that took my information and used it.  I had to have the card cancelled and get a new one. 

Too bad.  We can't be sure that everyone is being honest can we?

Unfortunately not.  I never did report this to the hotel and now realize that I should have. 

The few times that I have been victimized I worked with the card issuers and in one instance the local police to provide some more umph to the investigation.

We need to be vigilant that is for sure!

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Unfortunately, hospitals are another fertile ground for identity theft.  Though credit card information may be lacking, all other pertinent information is available for the taking.  Due to the wealth of personal information that must be provided to the hospital, full blown identity theft becomes an all to real possibility.

That makes sense.  You need to include doctors offices, dental offices, etc. too.

How about clerks working for credit card companies.  I call in and to verify who I am, at times I need to give my social security number.  It bothers me that all clerks have access to my personal information.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

its everywhere restaurants are big any place that takes your card increases your vulnerability . I have had my AX card number taken twice  of course they reimburse you but if you have other bills tied to your card you have to change them all. I check my card balances every day on line

I saver all my receipts till I see the charge on my statement.  If there is a left over charge, I look into it farther.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...