20 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2015 9:29 PM by ssindc RSS

Community Manager Blogs

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just opened the blog page to find 29 blogs in a row posted by NathalieF, most of which have little or no views or comments listed.  I attempted to bring my first blog to the front page only to find it get shoved back down into the 30th spot for the moment. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but in my mind these blogs that are being put up getting to be much like the hotel review issues and take the real travel blogs and personal experiences into the depths of the sea never to be seen again.  If they want us to share our experiences then STOP this type of blogging from occurring or get another place for them to be located.

Any other Insiders such as our famous bloggers the likes of pluto77, painedplatinum, kharada46, anadyr, profchiara, ssindc, bejacob and others (sorry if I l missed anyone) with me on this or am I just cranky on this Monday?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Community Manager Blogs
    NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Good morning and please pardon the dust while I make some tweaks. You're right that when browsing content and filtering by blogs, the default order is latest activity (and I'm currently making tweaks). if you're looking for recently created blogs, you can sort by date created. Stay tuned for more details.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I don't see that that's entirely true.  The date has been changed on a lot of categories so that the old original posts get new dates and the ones who answer are still at the bottom.

And I am constantly biting at the "More like this" that are old as the hills but with no warning that those posts are 4 or 5 years old at times and I feel like a fool posting to some that seem to be current but aren't.

Any way to put a true time stamp on those "More like this" so we aren't replying to someone from years ago?  It would be so helpful to me and probably to others.

Okay - I'm all done and apologize for the impact. I know that better surfacing member blogs has been a point point we'd like to address in the coming months.

Thanks "Boss", I know I appreciate it and anything that makes it simple I'm all for happening.  Only issue with a filter is you have to know what you're filtering as I see it.  So if I filter by date using a one week period from 3/24-3/31 wouldn't I still end up with all you posted contained within those dates? 

Thanks for the feedback.

I still find nothing but your blogs clogging the joint up, yet write that "you're finished"????  Change it back please as filters don't help with this issue as yours are still routing the water over the dam.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

NathalieF

I have a suggestion for the changed dates for posting.  When the date is changed to keep it in the forefront, just put the original date in the original title so we can see what's actually happening with it.

Is that possible, because I don't see why it wouldn't be?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

You've struck gold here.  WE are underwater here Blog wise.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

And I was just getting ready to post about my recent trip in North Carolina.

I guess it's good that I waited until after all this activity or my post would have been sunk.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

And my Bentley GTC driving experience last week, which contains plenty of juicy details, can wait for a day or two. I suppose.

My apologies again for the impact of my brief house keeping this morning. All of the blog posts had previously existed in the community so they weren't spam or anything like that - we just centralized their placement. Unfortunately, while browsing recent content at the site-wide level, these posts appear as recently active as a result of my house keeping this morning. No further blog posts are being moved or adjusted so there should be no further impact to recent activity.

If anyone is looking for something in particular that you're having trouble with, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. The good news is that the recent activity within any of the actual forums is not impacted by these blogs (accessible via the top navigation and dropdown menus).

I appreciate everyone's passion

If you sort by date (descending) you actually do find some "real" blogs.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

I say "OFF WITH HIS HEAD!" insiders

I love the word you used, "passion". That's a good one andy

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

It is annoying, which doesn't necessarily mean that you're not cranky (me, I'm never cranky .)

Me cranky, I can't believe I actually put that down before playing golf........now I'm really CRANKY!!!!

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

NathalieF

While we are on the topic of blogs I would like to bring up a post from earlier this month (Exposure within the community for personal blogs)

Currently, when someone comments on a blog post the main page still shows the blog author as the last author and their original post as the latest activity.  Is there a way to fix this so that the latest author is the last MRI to comment on the blog and the latest activity time would be when they commented?

We have some great bloggers, but their blogs are ending up buried within hours of posting because the system is not taking into account the comments that have been made to the blog post.

Thanks for considering this suggestion.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Well, of course you're cranky, but that's besides the point.  Now, there have been many many post over the last few years about the lost treasure..aka the Blogs. Even if you can find them, you have to hunt by recently viewed to find them. Not sure what the answer is, but there is no doubt some of the best work and experiences getting dumped into the black hole.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

IAHFLYR, I'm with you buddy!  I guess it's good I've been slacking lately

doncourts Platinum

I get the terrible feeling that this site is run by Marriott and that little of substance will ever be allowed to surface.

702rugbyref Platinum

It is constantly monitored...constantly. Although several of the managers are helpful and wanting to help and address issues.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Yeah, IAHFLYR, I hear you - and you make a valid point...

Having said that, I've never transitioned from "discussions," which I continue to generate from time to time, to "blogs," which, for whatever reason, I haven't generated. 

Ultimately, I think we all need to recognize that this e-platform (1) is Marriott's toy, and they can use it, evolve it, and/or control it as they see fit; and (2) the initial platform has some serious technical limitations, and there's no reason to think that Marriott is going to make a massive investment to restructure its functionality and, even if they did, it wouldn't please everyone.

On the first topic, here's my two cents:  I learned my lesson on the hotel reviews - I was one of the folks that created dozens of them, - many lengthy and substantive - and that content was lost in the transition.  (It was also the content that I found most useful on this travel site.)  We can (1) suggest alternatives for the future, (2) cry over spilled milk, (3)  leave the forum and spend our time - and seek information - elsewhere, or (4) we can work/live with what we have, warts and all.

I think what many of have learned is that the most valuable function on this site is the ability to follow the folks who post informative, substantive, and interesting content - or at least the content that we most want to see.  Alas, relying on the main/home page or the search function alone leads to disappointing results....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...