3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2014 1:40 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Son attending Notre Dame London - Trafalgar Sq - best place to stay on points?

domer16 Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

For the Fall semester, My son will be attending Notre dame in London, which  is located by Trafalgar Sq.  I am hoping to go visit  him and stay on points. Any suggestions on where to say while in London. He  will be staying at  Suffolk place.   Also so thinking  either  1 traveling to Paris or 2  taking a  cruise  from South Hampton or 3. a  river  cruise.  Any suggestions.  Thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Son attending Notre Dame London - Trafalgar Sq - best place to stay on points?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

domer16,

Would suggest County Hall Marriott!

You can walk to Trafalgar Sq., it is a good walk but a nice one.  Book early and enjoy the wonders of London.

You can take the Eurostar to Paris, and it is very special.  If you do consider the St. Pancras Ren., it is another wonderful location with great access to The Tube and all points in London.

You can get a wonderful "River Cruise" by taking  "The Big Red Bus" around London!

Good luck, and let us know how fellow MRI can help provide information to help with your trip!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Son attending Notre Dame London - Trafalgar Sq - best place to stay on points?
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Marriott really doesn't have anything within easy walking distance. I do know Suffolk Place is only a quick walk from Leicester Square and so if you've any Radisson points you could stay at the Radisson Edwardian on Leicester Square. I stayed there a few years ago, it's a great hotel.

If it has to be Marriotts then since you'll be using the tube (subway) being close isn't a problem. Suffolk place is pretty equidistant from 3 tube stations, Charing cross, Piccadilly Circus and Leicester Square. What you're looking for now is ease of travel, to get to any of these stations without having to change.

These 3 stations are between them served by the Bakerloo, Northern and Picadilly lines. London Marriotts on these lines are the Renaissance St Pancras, County Hall, The Edition and the JW. County Hall is the closest geographically, probably a 30 min walk.

The most closely situated Marriott to any of the above tube lines is undoubtably the St Pancras Renaissance as it sits directly on top of St Pancras tube station which is on the Picadilly line. I don't think anyone would call that hotel particularly central though. The rooms are pretty standard but the exec lounge (club) is spectacularly good, though only Plats get entry (the hotel has a special exemption for that). All other UK Marriotts with lounges follow the standard automatic entry for Plat and Gold rule. The County Hall Marriott is geographically the closest to Suffolk Place and very close to Waterloo tube which is on the Northern line. The London Edition is near Tottenham Court Road, on the Northern Line. The closest tube to the JW isn't on any of these lines, but Hyde Park corner is pretty close and is on the Picadilly line. Both the JW and County hall have exec lounges, JW is next to Hyde Park, County Hall is next to the London eye (wheel) opposite parliament. All 4 hotels are Cat9's at 45k night, 180k for 5.

A little left of field choice would be the Kensington Marriott. It's close to Gloucester Road tube on the Picadilly line and near to London's famous museums. It's also only a Cat7, 35k points night, 140k for 5 nights. Another choice, but really is out of the action would be the Marriott Maida Vale which is on the Bakerloo line and is our cheapest Cat6, 30k points night, 120k for 5. Both have exec lounges.

Paris is really easy to get to from London. Just use the Eurostar train, it takes you straight from St Pancras station and delivers you into Gare D'Nord in Paris. It couldn't be more convenient. Book early and it's cheap, £70 return, and about £150 first class. Obviously the St Pancras Ren is the most convenient for the journey, but I wouldn't let that cloud your judgment over where you'll spend most of the time in London. For a short weekend in Paris the Marriott Champs Élysées is the most obvious choice, another Cat9 I'm afraid.

For a cruise from Southampton, take the train from London Waterloo, it's a little over an hours journey. There's no Marriott in Southampton, the nearest one is a country club at Shedfield, the Meon Valley, several miles outside the port. As for river cruises, as far as I'm aware there's no overnight river cruises down the Thames, they're all tourist 1 hour jobs. Of course many 2-7 night river cruises run on the continent down the Rhine and Danube.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

brightlybob,

Great report!

Love the details!

Would recommend domer16, (Or anyone else), check previous posts out on London that are on this MRI site!

There are many "Great tips" on The Eurostar, London sights, etc.

You point about getting from Southampton to Waterloo is invaluable for those "Cruising" to/from Southampton!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...