21 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2014 4:04 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Segments

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

senior center.jpgDon;t forget us old folks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Segments
    NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

You rang?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Are you an old folk?

I'm certainly not a spring chicken but who else is the message for intended for? Or are you just trying to underscore your earlier comment?

Some of us were pre-Boomer Michelle and we are proud of it,  so please count us in when discussing the world of hospitality

I was hoping that Michelle12 or whatever her name is these days would respond to the fact that Marriott is concentrating on Millenials, perhaps at the expense of us old geezers.  And I forgot why I was, but that's old age creeping in I suppose. No I did not call, and if I did I did not mean to.

Sorry, and it's time for my nappie!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I suppose it does make sense for Marriott to make a play for Millennials in the hopes of making them life-long customers. I agree, however, that is should not come at the expense of the current segments of loyal customers.

I seem to recall reading that Millennials are as a group not particularly brand loyal so it may be difficult to capture and keep them. The best strategy would seem to be trying to keep current MR members coming back while trying to get the younger generation to at least consider the benefits of joining a loyalty program. One problem companies face is that many young folks will join any and all loyalty programs and still jump around based on what seems to be the deal of the week.

Of course if I knew how to get people to only join one loyalty program and stick with it, I'd sell it the highest bidder and spend the next 50 years traveling the country and the world.

For what it's worth, I have just one hotel loyalty membership and two frequent flyer ones.

Well said, and I thinl many of us are inertia loyalists: we stay with a program because we feel we are invested in that program. And, when the program becomes less advantageous there is a tendency to stay with it, even with devalued benefits.  Marriott Rewards is in some ways better than before but in many ways it is worse, for me at least,  Thus, I stay for the remainder of my traveling life, only because it is familiar, I like some of the perks, and I am used to the Marriott way. Would I stay under any and all circumstances? Nope, there is a limit to my ability to see a program become unattractive. I am far from that point right now,

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

"inertia loyalists"  sounds like the name of supporters of the Argentinian President…….. .  "today, Inertia loyalists stormed the steps of the Buenes Aires JW Marriott demanding free breakfasts for Gold and Platinum members"…more news at nine!

Well  shoe-person I  can always count on you to add color to the discussion. Maybe if you think about it, you'll see that inertia is a law of physics that cannot be changed,  Like the rationale for staying with a program that gives you less every year.  (Hint: all of them do).

Now I have to detail the Bentley so ciao for now.

erc Platinum

I'm not so certain that "old" folks are ignored, but I am growing more and more confident that Insiders might be, in comparison to other social media forums. Take a look at a recent interaction (and this happens weekly, if not daily) on Marriott Rewards Facebook;

Not that any of us are requesting the 'warm fuzzy' of a personal phone call, but how many times have we had this exact discussion on Insiders? What possibly could the social media rep say other than the Salt team response of "we value your input, we hear you, and we'll pass it on to THE TEAM"?  (ol' John B. better not get a special deal).

Fascinating stuff, indeed, let's keep an eye out for John B's post phone call update reply.

John B
                    I am very disappointed in the Marriott Rewards Visa Signature cards annual free night.  There should be exceptions to the category qualifications when booking in a city that does not have any hotels between categories 1 to 5.  For example, NYC does not have a hotel under category 6 so I cannot use the certificate.  Under those situations, Marriott should give their loyal members access to a higher category.  Hilton and IHG have done that for loyalty clients.
                    Marriott Rewards John- We'd like to hear more about this. Could you send us a private message that includes your rewards number and the best way to reach you?
                    March 27 at 2:08pm

Heidi B Interesting point since I just got this card this month and saw the same issue
                    • John B They are going to personally call me to discuss.  I will let you know.

Was that the Sloop John B?

Sure, fair concerns. There is a lot of noise on the subject of millennials these days, but as I've stated before, "there’s an abundance of choices out there and we of course want our share of your repeat business - millennials,  gen x-ers, boomers or seniors included". So as Michelle said, "My Boomer and Gen X Loves ~ we know who brought us to the dance and we study you too!'

I was hoping that Michelle12 or whatever her name is these days would respond to the fact that Marriott is concentrating on Millenials, perhaps at the expense of us old geezers.  And I forgot why I was, but that's old age creeping in I suppose. No I did not call, and if I did I did not mean to.

Tradeoffs do often come with change, but if you cut through the noise, what we're really talking about is increased service and technology. For instance the new M Club Lounge at the San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront is on the first floor for better access to the kitchen (think better and fresher food - something everyone can enjoy!).

As long as you keep the light on for us, we're good!

erc Platinum

And on top of that good feeling - Sloop John B, as of today, hasn't received a call from Sheriff Stone on Facebook and boy is he irritated . Come on over to Insiders Sloop, Andy answers!

We all wait for out ship to sail ERC, everyone one of us

"our" not"out"--sorry.  Too mich medicine in the cabinet.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

With my "Luck"?  When my ship "Comes In", I will probably be at the "Airport"! 

If that's not true, "I'll wind up on "Gilligan's Island"!

My ship came in but it sunk at the dock.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

anadyr,

That is a great line!

Thanks so much for sharing.  Wish I could  send some of this rain here to ya!  It's not pretty!

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Oh, anadyr, you realize that a nappie is a diaper in British English? 

I should have said nappy, but my fingers froze up.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Love it!  I need all the help I can get these days.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...