4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2014 8:35 AM by profchiara RSS

French Riviera - Quick, Easy, Delicious Dessert

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

I never wrote anything about my time in Nice because it was truly just a vacation where I lounged by the Hyatt Regency Palais de la Méditeranée Hotel, walked on the Promenade des Anglais, and had good meals.  My best meal was at Boccacio, recommended by the hotel, but I had a great dessert at La Maison de Marie that I thought I would share for those of you who like alcoholic beverages and dessert.  (Normally I don't like dessert and my only alcoholic beverage is red wine, but I made an exception, which I have since replicated.)  This restaurant on the nearby rue de Massena, had a series of coupes (sorbet) with an alcohol base.  I chose the Calvados with apple sorbet.  It came in a large glass with the Calvados (about an ounce) on the bottom, and the apple sorbet on the top with a straw.  It was really, really good.

I've since made the same (without the straw) with Cognac and peach sorbet on top.  I think you need a sorbet rather than regular ice cream because it would change the consistency in the wrong way.  I am nowhere near any place I could buy Calvados, so Cognac was the only choice.  But I can imagine doing other liqueurs on the bottom (limoncello topped by lemon sorbet -- maybe a bit much!) or cassis topped by strawberry sorbet.

Anyway, it was one of the few desserts I have every enjoyed.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: French Riviera - Quick, Easy, Delicious Dessert
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Prof

Now my sweet tooth is shouting at me to get a dessert……  .  Thanks for sharing.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

professor,

Wonderful story and a great sounding experience!

Keep them coming!  Agree with shoeman1000!

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

Prof

thanks for sharing and we can not wait to start experimenting

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi all,

I think the possibilities are limitless depending on your tastes.  I think that if you can't get Calvados and try that version, cognac or brandy is the best base since it will absorb but not clash with any sort of sorbet you decide on.  I'm going to see today if I can get some mango sorbet .

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...