19 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2015 2:00 PM by bnd683 RSS

Coffee (or Tea) at Marriott Courtyards No More

njl0608 Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Question to Marriott:  Why? Don't understand this decision.

As a platinum member, we cant even get a cup of coffee at Courtyard properties anymore.  Why is that?

All properties have coffee and tea available, especially for platinums through concierge service.

This last time staying at a Courtyard property, my rate included free breakfast.  Well, as it turns out you get only 1 "liquid" with the voucher.  Did you ever go out for breakfast. They pour you a cup of coffee. When your done, they ask you if you would like a refill?  No not courtyard: you get only 1 "liquid,"  Breakfast at full service Marriott you would get a refill.  Please rethink.  It us unfortunate that I will not be stayng at the Courtyard State College anymore and be nickeled and dime over coffee.  BTW, State College happens to have the best, most courteous staff staff.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Coffee (or Tea) at Marriott Courtyards No More
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Last stay at Fort Myers Hotels | Courtyard Fort Myers at I-75 and Gulf Coast in February they still had free coffee in the lobby and you could even have more than one cup also!!

I will also argue that this Courtyard as the best and most courteous staff, they're all magnificent.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

njl0608 Platinum 3 Reviews

IAHFLYR:  Your right Courtyard staffs are all courteous and attentative.  I do especially like this staff

I was told that all courtyards have to remove theire free coffee stations. This one was serving up until last month when they got reported.

One more thing,  a crowded morning meant a line at the Bistro. I waited 15 minutes for my coffee.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Good Morning from the Left Coast,

Now about this coffee situation:

We all are aware (at least 90% of us) - that all (Marriott) labels below the full service properties can be franchises.

Unless we are privy to the franchise agreement, those items and/or services that are not covered by said agreement are at the option of the franchisee.

I'm going to assume that at least 50% (again without the info it is a guess) of Courtyards are franchises.  Consequently comparing one Courtyard's services to another (again,, without the info) is very difficult.

Until Marriott makes the decision to mandate coffee, breakfast, or "free tacos on Tuesdays" to a specific brand we will be  discussing (and, of course complaining) of these inconsistencies into the 22nd century!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Yes njl0608, the decision to charge for each refill is bad business. The only reason a company would do that is to gouge an unsuspecting client. Not a very smart business tactic.

Coffee/Tea has a value. It's been established in the free marketplace for years. When the mass majority of vendors charge for that first cup, they have made about 90% profit..if not more. The cost of the water, coffee, teabag, and condiments is pennies. By charging more for these pennies, after having already made huge profit on the first cup..is shortsighted and has resulted in your decision to avoid the brand. I applaud your astute judgement and join you in staying out of CYs.

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

I also agree with this decision but I have not taken the full boycott position of CY but rather avoid them if at all possible,  Their position on coffee/tea, and no free breakfast for Gold and Platinum have led to this disgruntled customer.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I can see that they may not want to have the coffee sitting out for all to enjoy then they should give gold and platinum a free breakfast voucher

stagmonster Platinum

Agreed.  I no longer stay at Courtyards.

superchief1 Platinum

The real reason that free coffee has been removed is that Millenials prefer soda, energy drinks, or the Starbucks specialty coffees. They complained about others (coffee and tea drinkers) getting their beverages for free, so Courtyard eliminated the free coffee in order to attract more Millenials.

It is condescending that Marriott would support their decisions with such ridiculous claims. As a marketing researcher, I doubt that they have data to back a claim that a majority of guests would choose $2 Starbucks (after 15 wait in line) over complimentary, mediocre coffee in the lobby. If they have any research at all, it is likely a blind taste test between the two coffees, without any consideration of cost or convenience. To make matters worth. the Starbucks served in the Bistro is often burned or old because Starbucks freshness standards are often not maintained. 

fighton Platinum 21 Reviews

I apprecaite merb taking the time to respond, but I really think the removal of free coffee is symptomatic of a larger calculated business decision by Marriott to attempt to drive their elite guests (normally business people with expense accounts) to the full service properties with higher room rates.

Frankly, this works, as I will always choose a full service property with a concierge lounge if the price at a CY is just close enough to make the justification that the food and drink benefits of the concierge lounge outweigh the price differential. However, I think Marriott is in danger of losing on this proposition with the devaluation of elite benefits. Particularly with Platinum benefits now standardized (read - devalued) across the chain with that being EITHER the points or meal credit. I really miss the days when it was points PLUS a platinum arrival gift (which many times was a nice food item) and individual properties had the flexibility to tailor the arrival gifts towards their local market.

I know this issue has been beaten to death in other forums so I apologize for the digression, but again, I think this is symptomatic of a shift in Marriott corporate culture in recent years.

jmauhill Gold 12 Reviews

The fact that CY's are franchised does explain a lot about what I have seen as inconsistencies with free lobby coffee - some have it but most don't now. As a consumer who also works in the food industry, I understand that it's more profitable to sell coffee than to give it away, as well as the fact that there is free coffee packets in your room. That said, I do think it is a bad business practice not to have free carafes of coffee available in the lobby. It's a nice perk that frankly is available at lesser brands (Fairfield Inn, Springhill Suites) under the Marriott banner. Like most travelers I have a choice in where I stay, feeling a bit special - with a $.10 cup of coffee (this includes the cost of the cup which is more than the coffee itself) is a small thing, that is easy to do, which helps keep folks loyal.

loren Silver 2 Reviews

I know I am late to this thread, but really this is why I never have found CourtYards to be good values.  You pay more for a room, only slightly larger than a FairField Inn, but really no different, you pay for breakfast at CY, at FFI it is included.  Coffee at FFI, not at CY.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

There are still a few CY with free coffee in the lobby all day/night long, but few and far between.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Further to my  April 5th comment on this topic I have noticed  early morning complementary coffee service (usually in the lobbies) has been discontinued at full service properties.. 

I have never inquired as to the reason, but have deduced it was prompted by the proliferation of Starbucks locations in many properties that didn't want to compete with this service.

This "service" to those rising early (prior to the lounges opening) as well as early check outs is of minimal expense to the property but considering what Starbucks charges I can understand why they (Starbucks) probably demanded that clause in their lease agreement.

What I can't understand is why the hotel would antagonize  it's guests by not providing a decent cup of coffee at 5:00AM in the morning.  (If the coffee machines placed in the rooms would deliver a decent cup this would alleviate some of the inconvenience.  (another solution would be to have coffee service available prior to full service times in the CL's)

photosports Gold

I'm staying at the Courtyard in Devon, PA my preferred hotel when in this area.  I went down for my cup of coffee this morning and found that you had to pay for your coffee, plus wait while they prepare it.  Luckily, I'm not with my wife so I made coffee in the room, which is not exactly the best . They only provide one regular coffee in the room so if you are 2 in the room one's out of luck.

The only saving grace is that there is a Whole Foods across the street where you can pick up a good cup of java plus very nice pastries, not to mention the great breakfast places nearby.

Kind of silly, but I will be looking for another place to stay when I'm visiting the Mail Line.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

It is silly, photosports.  Coffee is a known value at hotels. The value is "free". When you go out of your way to charge for something that is free, you will tick people off. Ticked off people go elsewhere. It's as much principle as personal. Marriott has made this issue bigger than it had to be.

Here's the biggest shame.... the new Courtyards are actually quite nice. I was forced to stay at the new CY in downtown Syracuse. My client had a special rate at the hotel. It was very nice. If Marriott had not drawn their line in the sand with disingenuous "survey" results, faulty marketing premises, and lousy long line service with limited hours.....I'd gladly stay at the brand. 

The end result of their decision is 25 lost revenue nights per year from yours truly. They do pick up a few, less than five in their other brands, but most of this lost business goes to IHG and Hilton.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

painedplatinum - this whole action to remove the coffee was the infamous "straw that broke the camel's back" that prompted Marriott brand to lose 215+ paid nights a year from my annual spend.

Funny thing - I could barely "tolerate" the free coffee as I am a tough customer to satisfy when it comes to paying for a good cup of java. My taste buds are too fond of the coffee I roast at home (City to City+ roast level for my Ethiopia Zonegediyo Kochere Yirga Cheffe). Thus my choice was simple: free (not the best tasting but FREE) or Starbucks (overly roasted albeit better tasting than the lobby coffee but NOT FREE), I let the money speak - lobby, hands down.

I wonder how the Marriott survey took into account my position - free versus taste?

mybnj Platinum 10 Reviews

I'm probably going against most pov here but I really like the new bistro's in the Courtyards and their food options along with a Starbucks option.  If raising the bar on service meant discontinuing a free coffee I'm ok with that.  I never really placed a value on the 6 oz cup of coffee and the warm milk.   The optics of these "free" coffee stations if not maintained properly also cheapened the look and feel of the courtyards.   Just my pov.

bnd683 Platinum

I agree with the majority opinion here.  To add insult to injury, money spent on food and beverage at Courtyard is not included in the points calculation as it is at full service hotels.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

funny I was at Courtyard at Denver airport and it was early. So bistro was closed but front desk had coffee but you had to pay for it

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...