10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 26, 2014 11:37 AM by ssindc RSS

NYC mother/daughter trip

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We are planning a trip in September 2014 to NYC. I have looked through all the reviews & am no closer to making a decision on a hotel. Some quick facts.....Platinum member, will be staying on points, want to enjoy a couple of shows, as well as shopping, sightseeing, great food, a lounge would be a plus as would a complimentary breakfast. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New York Marriott East Side
New York, New York, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New York Marriott Marquis
New York, New York, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel
New York, New York, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square
New York, New York, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance New York Hotel 57
New York, New York, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel
  • Re: NYC mother/daughter trip
    jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

Guidedog613,

I do not have any experience with NYC lodging as all my NYC trips are for the day only. 

However, there was a thread a few days ago that I think would be helpful to you:

Re: If cost is not an object in NYC, where should I stay?

Best of luck planning

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Hi Guidedog613,

NYC, what a great spot to take a Mom/Daughter trip, I know you'll have an incredible time with all the shows, restaurants, shopping and much more, native New York City folks are some of the most friendly people anywhere.....or at least that's our experience.

The Marriott list is quite extensive as you already know.  A few things to consider is NYC is not that large a spot, intimidating by the masses and buildings to some, but easy to walk, cab or subway to get around.  It might be a good idea to focus on an area you prefer to stay such as Times Square or closer to Central Park, Soho, Upper East Side etc.

We've stayed at both the Renaissance Times Square and Marquis, love the Renaissance so much better as it lacks much of the very busy atmosphere of the Marquis unless you want that while in the city.  Most of the hotels north of Madison Square Garden area will be an easy walk to just about everywhere for Times Square sights and sounds.

Along with the two previous mentioned hotels we've stayed at Times Square Hotels | The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection® which was a very nice hotel however; we ended up with a smaller room that was actually too small for two people, but might be worth exploring if you were to be guaranteed a good size room.  It's certainly close to everything Times Square.

We have reservations at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square: New York Business Hotels later this year, have never stayed there and selected it because it has mini-refrigerators so we can buy some vino and keep it cold in the room rather than pay crazy prices in the lounge, but it also has a lounge as most other Courtyards in the city will.  Not many indicated the rooms with refrigerators, but then again getting that good glass of wine for $18 is part of being in NYC.  

Dining, WOW, where to start as there are so many wonderful places just to walk in and gather the aroma of the food and go from there. 

Family Style Italian Restaurant NYC | Italian Dining & Cuisine Large Portions

Sardi's Restaurant

CHIN CHIN Restaurant New York

http://www.valbellarestaurants.com/

Gyu-Kaku - Japanese BBQ Dining : New York : Times Square

Tamarind Restaurants

Coppola's Restaurant I New York

We have eaten at these places and returned to find them just as good or better the next time and next.

Don't forget to look at Off-Broadway Shows as well, there are great theaters all over the city.

You will get so many ideas from the well traveled and experienced Insiders you could write a book.  Enjoy and keep us updated on where you decide to stay and such.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Hey IAHFLYR

Let me know when you guys are coming to town.  If you are into wine, a trip out east on the island would make a great day trip, there's a ton of wineries out here.  Also some fantastic places to eat.  As I mentioned below, unless you are fixed on the courtyard, have a look at the Brooklyn Bridge full service.  Its really a great property, just a few mins outside of lower Manhattan but some great dining in the area. 

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

zukracer,

Love wine.... it's part of my prescribed "meds"!!

Will actually be in the city a couple of times this year however; the first trip I will be only there for an afternoon and evening then flying out while the wife has a convention the rest of the week.  Second trip will be to see the hometown boy, Billy Joel at MSG so we want to stay close enough to walk to the show and such, but I've heard good things about the Brooklyn property so ya never know!  Thanks much for the tip and as time approaches I'll get with ya.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

guidedog

sometimes it helps if we know where you would normally stay to help guide you where to stay in nyc.  which marriott properties do yu frequent now?

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Guidedog613

As others have said you probably want to look for something that is semi local to the area(s) you want to visit.  The public transport system is great but can be crazy near rush hour.  If you want to stay in the heart of it all, the 3 properties you called out are great.  The Marquis is a bit crazy as noted above but does have a nice lounge.  I'd ask for a corner room or bigger for two people, some of the rooms are a bit small.  Also some room's don't have the amazing views you might think they should.  The Ren in Times Square is nice too but the issue I have with both is you are in the heart of tourist-ville.  There's really just so much aimed at tourists there, its great to visit but everything right in that area is even more expensive to catch tourists. 

How old is your daughter?  I ask because if she's young enough to be into the American Girl dolls, they have some cool activities for mom/daughter days from time to time and that store is near the East Side full service property.  My wife and oldest daughter stayed there and loved it when they went to the city.  They found it easy to get around to shows, Time Square, the park, museums, etc and spent some time doing a mommy & me event at AG.

If you want something just outside of the crazy bustle of Manhattan, check out the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott (Brooklyn Hotels | New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge Hotel).  Its an easy walk across the bridge to the city or there's a subway stop just a block or so away that takes you straight up into midtown.  Perhaps not "as crazy" on points as other ones in Manhattan since its a Cat7.  Its a very nice property, the lounge is fantastic with great city views and the bridge.  Also some more reasonably priced food options, not to mention that area of Brooklyn is certainly full of places to eat that make top honors lists.

I'm semi local, living on Long Island so if there's some information I can help with let me know.  I'm through the city or at least the airports weekly, can always pull some of the tourist stuff for you if you want.

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

My daughter is 30 & I will be turning 60, since our birthdays are a couple of weeks apart we usually go away to celebrate just the two of us. We want to be able to go to a show (already have the list made) then be able to walk back to our hotel for a night cap. We were in the city for a similar trip a few years ago and stayed in Chelsea, this time we would like to be a little closer to the hustle & bustle.

We stay at all brands of Marriott, depends on who is coming & what we are doing. Love to have a CL for the convenience. My dilemna seems to be this.....is the Marquis just soooo big that it is insanity. Does the  Ren have a lounge, is that a saner option.  The property with the outdoor patio as part of  the CL looks good as well.

We will do some sightseeing...Statue of Liberty(was closed the last time we were here), a lot of walking, shopping and shows. My daughter is full of vim and vigor and for the 5 nights that we are here I can keep up with her (I'll collapse when I get back home) .

you have all given me some food for thought & hopefully  in the next week I will be able to finally make a choice.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Guidedog613,

zukracer, is so right, avoid the "Insanity"!

The Marriott at Times Square is shown in the "Dictionary" next to the word "Insanity"!  Stay at another Marriott, and visit there and you will see the truth.

There are so many other Marriott properties to enjoy, The Ren., CY Times Square South, etc!

Enjoy, and let us know what you decide, and how it goes!

Good luck!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

The Time Square Renaissance has one of the coolest, most popular bar/lounges around (but I don't know if it meets your "sanity" standard) - if you do want to go, be sure to try to get a reservation - View from bar/restaurant

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Dunno if this will help, but my advice on NYC is always:

• check frequently
    • be flexible, and
    • be willing to jettison your initial reservation when better rates pop up.  That's really important - more on that below....

• In addition, you've got to prioritize - unless you're willing to drop big bucks, you cannot have it all in NYC.  So, again, it really matters what you want
      • size? how important is a large room? some of the best properties offer very small (but very nice) rooms - our favorite along those lines is the Renaissance 57, but also consider the Marriott East Side, which we really enjoy (which also has some very large rooms, but the small rooms are the bargains)
      • how important is location?  and what do you want to be close to?  there is a reason that the Marquis and the Renaissance Times Square are wildly popular!
      • how important is price?
      • one other wild card - frequently, in my travels, free breakfast is something I consider in comparing prices.  But, in NYC, we almost never eat hotel breakfast - we typically enjoy breakfast at Ellens Stardust Diner | Home of the Singing Waitstaff  - it's a family tradition, and we return day after day - heck, they've even got (very) good gluten free options these days)...  If you want a good breakfast option, the Times Square Residence Inn is very popular, but has become much more expensive in recent years...

There are many, many good properties in NYC.  Prices fluctuate wildly.  If you're patient, sometimes, you'll get killer rates at the wildly popular properties.  Sometimes it's just not gonna happen....  Here's a lengthy thread that emphasize this point: Re: NYC - Market Pricing

Location Brand Hotel
    New York, New York, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square
    New York, New York, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance New York Hotel 57

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...