I've gone through the reading material as well as tons of pages online and seem to be confused about the following...any help is GREATLY appreciated as I am new to the program and want to make sure I get the absolute best out of it.
*Car received March 2014. Have already spent the $1000+ for the bonus. Have achieved Silver Status
1) Can I ever drop below my Silver Status? Say I don't stay anywhere all year will I start back from scratch?
2) I understand we are given 15 bonus points per year (from date of initiation), do those 15 accumulate year after year or are they reset?
3) Aside from this blog where can I find the most up-to-date resources, discounts and promotions?
- I'm on the Marriott newsletter and this website (which I will now be monitoring more closely).
4) I currently have 60k unused lifetime limes on milageplus. Is it wise to transfer the to Marriott points instead? Or just leave them as is?
Just wanted to run these past you fine folks before I called and harassed the extra busy folks at their concierge.
Hi zeeshan66 and welcome to the insiders site. You will find many helpful tips from people who travel just like you and want to get the best bang for their buck so to speak. We all like to share what information we can to enhance everyone's travel. We also like to jaw a bit too so you will find some very different topics that aren't necessarily related to hotel stays as we get to know each other.
Now to answer some of your questions:
1) yes you can drop status from year to year depending upon your nights stayed which include your 15 bonus nights from your credit card. However, with that said, the Rewards program will drop only one level per year, in other words, if you are platinum, you will only drop to Gold, not all the way back down the totem pole to starting all over. However, if you are only Silver, you will have to gain that status again the following year by staying 25 nights which would include your 15 free with cc.
2) the bonus points do not accumulate from year to year. They are only good for the year they are earned by the time of year you signed up for the card.
3) You are correct that the newsletter is also a good place for tips along with the Marriott site all together. However, imo you won't get any better information regarding Marriott rewards, hotels and food joints than right here on the MRI site.
4) this is strictly up to you and only you and how you travel. If you feel you will use the miles then I would suggest leaving them in your MP acct. as miles are harder to achieve than Marriott points. Of course, again, this is just my opinion from my travel experiences. Now, with that said, again I will contradict myself and say that I transferred my miles as fast as I could when it was available to do so. I only had 6700 or so miles and knew I would more than likely not fly with United before they expired.
I hope some of this helps you understand the basics a little better. I know many more great helpers will chime in as the day goes by.
Hello zeeshan66 -
Welcome to the Marriott Rewards Insiders family, we are happy to have you here! I see that madmax has already answered your questions, but I thought I would chime in as well.
1. Rewards members who have the Marriott Rewards credit card are automatically given Silver Elite status, regardless of the number of nights stayed.
2. If you are referring to bonus nights, instead of points, these are reset every year.
3. The blog is a great source to get information. The newsletter and even the Marriott Rewards Insiders community are also wonderful ways to keep up with the most recent information.
4. Mileage question--If the points are with United, it would be a good idea. Currently, they are available to transfer at 1:1 ratio. Not all airlines are available at that ratio, so as stated this is ultimately dependent on what your goal is.
As always, feel free to contact Marriott Rewards agents a directly. They are delighted to help with mileage transfers and explanation of benefits. Either via phone: 800-450-4442 or email: email@example.com.
Thank you all for your VERY helpful replies!
Just to clarify...as long as Ieave my Marriott credit card I will always hold a minimum status of silver?
some new questions
1) whats the difference between certificates and points? When I purchase items on my Marriott credit card do they automatically become points or go towards certificates? I haven't seen any points reflected when I sign onto the rewards website.
ansaa - I appreciate the contact info I like interacting with the community at first if I get any more insightful questions i'll be sure to make use of the Marriott agents.
Certificates have an expiry date (usually about 6 months) and are good for one night's stay at a property at the level stated. Points are accumulative and won't expire. You need varying amounts of points for different properties and on different dates.
Credit card points will be posted to your MR account monthly.
Is there any sort of promo's currently happening like the "Platinum challenge" i.e. http://boardingarea.com/frequentmiler/2013/07/19/hacking-your-way-to-marriott-platinum-and-united-silver-status/
Hi zeeshan66 - Every member is offered different promotions. We would encourage you to call your local Marriott Rewards team to learn about any promotions. The local office can be reached at the following: Marriott Rewards Phone Number and Customer Service Information.
tons of help as always! I'll give them a call today. I've also updated my preferences in my profile :O)
How long does it take for points accumulated on my card to be reflected on the website I've spent about $600 over the mandated $1000 but do not see a single point on my account.
The monthly credit card points usually show up on your MR account a day or two after you get your statement. As for the bonus points after reaching the $1000 threshold, those will probably show up at the same time as other points from that statement period. For example, if you needed to spend $1000 in the first three months to earn the bonus and you crossed that level during the 2nd month, you should see the bonus (along with any other points earned) a few days after your 2nd statement is processed.
Hope that wasn't too confusing.