15 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2014 11:33 PM by jack613 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

any ideas for vacation on the shore of lake erie?

jack613 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

what is there to do in either sandusky,ohio or geneva on the lake,ohio(something to do on the shores of lake erie). we have family nearby that we would also like to visit. 2)i can't seem to find any nice marriotts in the area?  any suggestions on the attractions and accommodations would be greatly appreciated!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: any ideas for vacation on the shore of lake erie?
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Cedar Point - amusement park.  Used to be nice but who knows now.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Consider a trip by the Jet-Express ferry to Put-in-Bay. Easy access from both Port Clinton and Sandusky. Daily service begins  around Memorial day with weekend service starting in early May. Cedar Point is certainly the main attraction in Sandusky, but much of the Lake Erie shore is geared toward outdoor summer activities.

The only Marriott property in Sandusky is a FFI. Next closest will probably be something in Clevaland (especially if you want to include Geneva-on-the-Lake). You might consisder either the Renaissance or Downtown Marriott in Cleveland (category 5 and 6 respectively). Both are right downtown and not too far from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

jack613 Silver

only a fairfeild inn nearby? dowtown cleaveland does have nice hotels but i am not sure if it is too far. i appreciate the info about the ferry and will definitely find out about it. thanks!!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Downtown Cleveland is just about equal distance going east to Geneva and west to Sandusky.  The Cleveland Renaissance is a very nice hotel last time we stayed there maybe four years ago.  Both downtown locations are fairly to access I-90 from and get on your way. 

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

If you stay in Cleveland or get to stop there I would recommend two stops in Cleveland's Little Italy neighborhood:

Presti's Bakery and Mama Santa's - some of the best baked goods and one of the best pizzas I have had respectively.

Cleveland's West Side Market is also worth a visit if time allows.

If you are into baseball the Cleveland area has two minor league baseball teams that you won't break the bank going to see - Lake Erie Crushers and Lake County Captains.  Additionally, if you end up further West, the Toldeo Mud Hens have a great stadium to watch a ballgame.

jack613 Silver

those minor leauge baseball games are a great idea.i love sports and watching a game on a summer afternoon or evening sounds like fun!

jack613 Silver

i see on the map what you are saying that cleveland is in between the two locations. if you had to decide on one of them which would you choose?  the water,beautiful scenery,boat rides are the attraction for me to relax and enjoy!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Here is a resource you might find helpful.

Lake Erie Vacation │ Discover Ohio’s Lake Erie Shores & Islands

If you really want water, scenery, and boats, I'd center on Port Clinton and stay at the FFI in Sandusky. Not that you couldn't do the same from Cleveland, but you'll likely have to drive a bit first. The Lake Erie Islands cater specifically to tourism and the center of the action in Port Clinton.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you end up doing.

Message was edited by: bejacob (corrected hyperlink)

jack613 Silver

thanks for the link!! i appreciate it!.  i am not sure about where to stay. on one hand i want to be close by and not have to drive quite a distance to the attractions and on the other hand i want to take advantage of a memorable vacation with my wife without the kids.   i want to stay in a nice place (of course marriottt)     

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Last time we were at the FFI Sandusky, two years ago, I would rank it as above average.

jack613 Silver

what did you do when you went there?  was it really above average(the FFI)? because we have family in the area,it is our only oppurtunity to have someone who we trust watch our two little ones and for me to get away with my wife in the summer.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

We were just passing through and the FFI was above average in the FFI category.  The only experience I've had around Lake Erie is Cedar Point (more for kids, but still worthwhile) and an evening dinner cruise on the Lake from Buffalo, and there may be similar cruises out of Sandusky.  Sorry I cannot be of more help but have not been in the area for a number of years.  I'm sure you'll  have a positive experience.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

I have to agree with californian, Cedar Point amusement park is worth a visit.  I have not been there in years, but at one time they had a world class roller coaster - The Blue Streak.

goerlitz Gold

Not a Marriott location , but the Maumee Bay Lodge & Conference Center at 1750 State Park rd., #2, Oregon, OH  43618 419-836-1466 maumeebaystateparklodge.com is on Lake Erie, just east of Toledo near Sandusky is a good choice.  I grew up in Oregon a million years ago when Cedar Point was a tiny food stand and beach.  Last time I was there it was terrific (yes, the roller coaster is terrifying!).  Put-in-Bay is great too. 

jack613 Silver

i looked at their website,map and did a little research. it looks nice and sounds intriguing. however, it is 2 hours away from cleveland and would not work out for us. thank you for the suggestion!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...