53 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2014 4:39 PM by ks77 RSS

Where Do You Buy Groceries?

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just ran across the ranking of Supermarkets Wegmans tops supermarket survey; Wal-Mart ranks last and it got me curious (imagine that) where our Insiders buy their groceries?

We shop first at HEB, Texas based store followed by Trader Joe's a distant second.  We had a very upscale Hubble and Hudson Market where you could find exceptional lamb and beef, but they recently closed in favor of expanding their attached Bistro so we're back to using the two previously mentioned spots.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Where Do You Buy Groceries?
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Wegmans is definitely the largest and nicest grocery store chain I have ever seen.  There are quite a few of them in the Northern VA market and eventually one will be coming to my neck of the woods in Charlottesville.  Whenever I'm in the Northern VA area I'll stop in and go by their bakery and pick up some "Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies".  They are the hands down best cookies I've had anywhere. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

You keep pushing the sweets button. First those cup cakes you referred to in SoCal and got kharada46 drooling over and now chocolate chip cookies, I'm going to have to start liking sweets more it appears.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Ultimate chocolate cookies huh?  That does sound drool worth...

IAHFLYR, at home I shop all over for my groceries.  Depends what I need.  Most often I find myself at Marukai Wholesale Market for Japanese ingredients and certain staples like boneless skin-on chicken thighs.  I also frequent the local Safeway, Times Supermarket (local chain), Foodland (local chain) and Whole Foods Market.  When I lived near one, I used to frequent Don Quijote (Japanese chain) a lot for just about everything.  Once in a while I'll go to Nijiya for Japanese things Marukai doesn't carry, and of course, Costco for things that I use a lot of like onions haha. 

By the way, if you're ever in Hawaii and feel the need to explore an enormous collection of sake, look no further than Marukai's main Dillingham location.  Tons of sake and good prices.  Great to-go food too like this:

530845_10200267830159984_2077368397_n.jpg

mmm... Chinese buns with hoisin + green onion + crispy roasted pork belly?!  I can feel my arteries clogging now!  If you prefer, a duck version is also available.  Or other delicacies such as sushi, noodles, karaage chicken, etc. 

Of course Foodland is known for their great poke & poke bowls as quick too go meals.  I don't care for the poke bowls, though, as they just dump the poke on the hot rice, which makes it partially cook.  And warm poke... kind of weird. 

Then Times has their plate lunches that people seem to like.  Ranging from grilled steak to turkey with all the fixings! 

Times Supermarket on Maui we've shopped at when we have been staying at either the Ritz or the Marriott Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Tower with a kitchen.  They always seemed to have a nice produce section and good wines to select from, plus it's just a few more steps to the local seafood market to get butterfish to put in the grill!

Those Chinese Buns do look too good to pass up, but I think I'd go for the sushi instead.

Yup, Times does have some of the best quality produce around... except for the one that I often go to in downtown Honolulu!  For some reason this one doesn't have that great produce compared to the other locations... They do have a nice new seafood counter now, but it's hard to beat Whole Foods in that area. 

The Chinese Buns are too good to pass up!  Better than the sushi IMHO  

ansaa Member

I've never heard of Wegmans, IAHFLYR. I'll have to keep a look out for an opening here. A personal favorite of mine is a Chicago based chain called Mariano's. The chocolate chip cookies from there might give Wegmans' cookies a run for their money!

Is Whole Foods not considered a grocery store? Or perhaps that list was just for supermarkets? I did not see it anywhere on the list, but I do frequent Whole Foods often.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Trader Joe's is hands down my favorite.  I find Whole Foods to be over priced, however I will happily make an exception for the Whole Foods Market located in Newport Fashion Island (Marriott's Newport Coast Villas).  That place is utterly amazing.

WholeFoodsNFI.jpg

An unlikely place that I have begun purchasing certain items is - Target!  Their bread (my fam loves Oroweat Country Potato Bread) and cheese prices (Dubliner Irish Ceddar and Le Gruyere) are better than the local grocery store (and sometimes even their extra lean ground beef), and some of the items that they sell under their own brand - Market Pantry and Archer Farms - are actually superior, yet less expensive.  An example would be their whole wheat dried pasta.  The ingredients and nutritional values are actually better than the national brands.

They just broke ground for our Whole Foods here in the "Hometown", not that I'll be doing any shopping there as we're HEB kids.

Officials break ground on Whole Foods in The Woodlands - Your Houston News: News

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I actually go to Whole Foods for lunch quite often. It can absolutely get pricey though. For certain items they are the best, but if you are looking for your usual brands they won't carry them. In some cases organic produce or gluten free foods are worth the money but not always.

I'd go there and drink all the wines!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Niccceeeeee

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

We shop at Publix and Trader Joe's, and I'm happy to see they both ranked highly in the survey. Publix is a Southeastern chain headquartered in Florida, with stores in 5 states.

Growing up my Mom always shopped at Publix, they were always very clean and had great produce.

ansaa, I would consider Whole Foods to be a supermarket and not sure why they didn't make the list unless I missed them.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

We go out of our way to shop at Wegman's.  It is a Rochestery, NY based chain with a market concept that is great!  Typically a trip to Wegman's always includes a meal at the Market Cafe or at least some baked goods from the bakery.  Some stores even have pub's where you can get some medicinals.  See: The Pub | Wegmans 

vaboywnder - I did not realize until I looked on their website that the Charlottesville location is on the books, just TBD.  My in-laws are in Richmond and I keep wishing they would open one up there. 

We also have some great farm stands in central PA to get fruit and vegetables so we are lucky in that regard.

Yes it is official.  Wegmans is suppose to be coming to Charlottesville.  However the new shopping area that it is supposed to be located in as far as I know has not started construction so it may be a while before we get an opening.  Fortunately I'm able to make it to the Gainesville location a few times a year.

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

Yes!  The Gainesville location, vaboywnder!  That's the closest one to me.  When we lost our power during/following the hurricane we sat upstairs and made use of their free wifi  to find out what was going on, as they obviously had some sort of backup power system.

Have you tried the Whole Foods in Fairfax?

misgee,

The Gainesville location is very nice...just wish it was closer by!     I haven't been to the Whole Foods in Fairfax but we also have a nice new Whole Foods in Charlottesville.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

vaboywnder,

Was recently visiting my in-laws in Richmond and heard that there are two Wegman's opening there in the future.  One on the Southside (Chesterfield) and the other in the West End (Short Pump).

Wegmans Confirms Plans to Build Two Stores Near Richmond, VA  | Wegmans

jakeal,

Wow...that's great news!  Short Pump is not too far away from me.  As far as I know there has been no established time line for the construction of the future Charlottesville location and the shopping center that it will be part of.  So the Richmond locations could happen before Charlottesville.

Thanks for sharing!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I lived on the "Southside" for 13 years and we primarily shopped at Food Lion but occasionally would go to Ukrop's. Ukrop's had a great prepared food section and a very clean and overall nice store. Customers could have their groceries wheeled to their car and loaded by staff if they requested it.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

no Wegmans, no Publix, no Trader Joes so my choice is Crest Foods. They have a great fresh meat selection and deli. The pricing is better than most "grocery stores" and they have a pretty good selection of brands.

When in a hurry and not buying meat, I do alot of Wal Mart shopping on the way home from work

btw, love Sprouts but not conveniently located so I don't go there often, but love their natural food selections.

I was so happy when we relocated to NoVA and discovered there was a Wegmans down the road.  When I lived in Southern Ontario I was always shopping at the Buffalo area Wegmans so I was very familiar with it.  When I lived in FL there was only Publix and Albertsons in my town so it was a bit of a disappointment to say the least.

In FL I would frequent Fresh Market and sometimes venture farther to Whole Foods.  They were both a bit of a distance for me, though.

Here in NoVA I also frequent Whole Foods, but it is a bit of a drive.  It is also off one of the main arteries into/out of DC so it has to be a very conscious decision on when I go so I don't get caught in rush hour.

The Wegmans here has an amazing Bistro with fantastic food.  (In addition to their buffet area.)  They serve beer and wine and no tipping is allowed.  You are also welcome to pick up a beverage of your choice from the grocery area and they will open and serve it if you don't want what's on the menu.  My husband eats there, a lot, when I am out of town.  He says it's the closest he's found to my cooking. 

I gotta find me a Wegmans after reading that missgee, I like the idea of having a glass of wine even better if you are able to wander the market with it in hand.   Sad to say I don't think Wegmans has hit the Texas market yet.

I took sushi classes there.  It was fun.  They also have wine classes, and lots of wine tastings.  Did I mention I love Wegmans?

IAHFLYR,

If your ever have a really long lay over in Dulles there is one nearby.

Oh!  I should mention that the Whole Foods in my area has an amazing Marché-type area, for those familiar with that concept.  The different bars are seafood, smoked/bbq, Japanese, Italian, Indian, etc etc etc.  They also have a wine tasting room and a beer bar.  Oh!  And they also have a giant sports bar!  On weekends they have awesome bands playing by the seafood bar.  It's definitely an outing whenever you go there.

Sounds like a wonderful experience to shop there or just eat/drink there. 

My son makes sushi from time to time, but it is certainly nothing he was taught just sort of watch and learn type thing.  It's pretty good, but I'd rather sit and watch a Sushi Chef make it!

I learned so much.  The chef who taught us was trained at the premier school for it in Japan.  Now I can send my food back knowledgeably.  lol

Or you can send it over to my spot at the sushi bar and I'll eat it!

That's awesome missgee!  And here I thought are's was great with the bakery, pizzeria, burgers/wraps and sushi area.  Oh, the fishmongers will also cook your fish for you, but I prefer to do that on my own...

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Hy-Vee and Walmart

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Here we have Market Basket (a Massachusetts chain), Hannaford and Shaw's.  By far Market Basket has the best prices, and recently began offering 4% off on all purchases excluding some items (liquor, milk, etc.).   There is a Wal-Mart but I'm not too fond of them or their wilted produce.

I have, however, been to a Wegman's in PA and fell in love with it!  The olive bar was just one example of how wonderful an experience it was.  I now proudly bring my Wegman's reusable shopping bags to Market Basket. 

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I always look forward to summers in New Hampshire and visits to market Basket. Never can figure out how their prices are so much lower. Enjoy getting lobster and steamers

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

we are all over the map.  Target gets some of our business, so does Publix, same with BiLo, whole foods, and Harris-Teeter. 

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Wegmans and Giant - in the western suburbs of Philadelphia.

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

Primarily Costco and WinCo Foods.

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

Wegmans is the best!  They have anything and everything and everyone is very friendly.  I live in Rochester, NY And there are many all around us since its based in here. If you come to Rochester, check out the store in Pittsford. It's the flagship store and one of the biggest.  There's a restaurant attached to it called the Food Bar And across the street is an upscale restaurant owned by Wegmans called Next Door.

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

Also at the Pittsford Store and maybe other stores, Wegmans will do your shopping for you all you just have to pull up your car, hand over your credit card and someone will put your groceries in your car for you!  Great service!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

As stated by many, I also shop at Wegman's, We go there roughly 50% of the time and ShopRite the other 50%. I have to say from a store perspective Wegman's they are always clean, usually well stocked, and checkout is great since they cashier bags as they scan so there is no "missing bagger" and you never have to bag it yourself. They also do the small credit if you bring your own bags. They have a great prepared foods area, a great cheese section with staff to help, and decent bakery. The only downsides are that their produce is usually good but can be hit or miss sometimes, and that the selection of items in the regular aisles can be limited (probably due to store size constraints) so if you specifically want a certain brand of BBQ sauce or a certain brand of pasta, they may not carry it. Their prices are also on the higher side. For me though the extra couple bucks are worth it.

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

Wow!  Wegmans in the Rochester area doesn't give you a small credit if your bring your own bags!  Which area is your Wegmans in ks77?  Just curious!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Woodbridge, NJ....at least I thought they did...I don't usually bring them...(mostly becuase I forget before leaving the house) ...but I thought they did...

I'd guess we probably have more cloth bags from HEB than most of their stores, like you ks77 just forget to bring them.  Maybe they should have a spot in the cars or near the bikes in the garage!

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

Maybe they do if another store in the area does it??  Competition!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Im in the UK, so this will really screw up the stats.

although we don't have WalMart, it does own ASDA, the UKs number 2 chain.

i Shop mainly at TESCO, sometimes at Waitrose plus my village Co-Op.

Co-ops are great.  Both of my daughters belong to ones, each where they live, called Bountiful Baskets.

Up in Backwardsville where I live, we shop at Costco for our fish (and sometimes Trader Joe's).  I will now start shopping for Top Sirloin at Costco as well (we Q'ed some from there this weekend past and it was excellent.)  I also shop at Target (good prices on cheese and also in the pasta, sauce, oil and salad dressing aisle).  Also Von's.  Love all of the Farmer's Markets that are starting up now at this time of year.

There is a truly awesome Whole Foods at Fashion Island in Newport Beach if anyone is ever down there.  Also a Trader Joe's at Crystal Cove Shopping Center.  There is a spice store called Savory in the shopping area on the corner of Mac Arthur and PCH (where Jack's Surfboard Shop is).  I love that store.

KatieC Member

Publix is the BEST! I am biased because it was my first job during my high school years but they truly do a great job. It has a cult following. I miss it so much now that I am back in the Northeast, but they have stores as far north as South Carolina now so hopefully they will make it to Connecticut soon.

They are known for their exceptional subs...which is why my first stop after landing at MCO or PBI is the nearest Publix. And I know the best sandwich topic probably warrants a new thread!

Publix subs.jpeg

Publix was my Grandparents favorite as they lived in Orlando.  As a kid (I still am) each time we'd visit them we had to go to Publix with Grandma!  Great memories and thanks for the sub!

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

HEB is a great Texas based chain.

We love our HEB don't we!!!   Thank Herbert E.

KatieC Member

One of the first Publix stores ever is in Orlando (East Colonial and Shine in Downtown). It's still got that classic look and it's small. Fun fact: the stores are numbered in the order in which they opened.

They went to a store on Colonial as well, but the one the frequented most was on 17/92.

My current list includes:

Marukai Wholesale Market (tons of Asian food & cheap, high-quality meat)

Safeway

Costco

Foodland (currently earn 200 HawaiianMiles for every $250 spent; no credit card needed)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...