7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2014 10:34 PM by weedx RSS

New Autograph Collection Property Opens in Canada

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Recent talk in the Re: Dining at Marriott thread about Portsmouth NH Hotels | Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa reminded me of another similar property that I had noticed a few months ago that was to open soon, The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection®: St Andrews Unique Hotels

It looks like this new Autograph Collection property just opened last week with coverage from two Canadian news outlets:

http://www.financialpost.com/markets/news/Landmark+Algonquin+Resort+Welcomes+First+Guest+Following+Expansive/9640436/story.html

http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/1194806-grande-dame-algonquin-reopens-doors

Anyone planning a trip here anytime soon?  Being that it just opened, there is nothing on MRI Reviews or TripAdvisor, but I may add this property as part of a fall foliage trip this year. 

• Re: New Autograph Collection Property Opens in Canada
    madmax Gold 7 Reviews

ooh looks very nice...and a category 5. Nice. I didn't see it listed on the 5 to 6 category for April so I am assuming it won't go up till next year since it just opened. I think this would be a great place to add to my bucket list trip to Niagra Falls and whatever else I can put in in 3-5 days. It's too far to the Falls so I would have to stay elsewhere for that but close enough I could do both. I would think this area would be great for Fall Foliage addition jakeal

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

weedx Platinum

I'm staying here Sunday night weather permitting on the way back to Maine. Have been looking forward to staying here since it was announced since there are no Marriott properties in St. John. I'm a gold member will report here on my stay

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

Thanks weedx.  Looking forward to reading about it.

timostrem Member

Good morning weedx!

I am sorry I missed you while you were here. I understand there were a few challenges and hope our team recovered well. We are still working out a few details as we prepare for a full property opening in June and appreciate your understanding. Don't hesitate to let me know if I can ever be of service.

All the best, Tim Ostrem, General Manager

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

timostrem,

It is great to see a property GM on here responding to comments.  Best of luck with the new property and I look forward to trying to fit a visit into my fall 2014 travel plans. 

weedx Platinum

I realized I hadn't completed my post about this property in March! Review a little late but still relevant

I stayed here with my family and kids around Mar 30 2014, on our way from Nova Scotia to the USA. This hotel had been open barely two weeks at this point. The nasty Atlantic winter of 2014 stuck again that day and we were one of only a handful of guests at the hotel that night, we arrived fairly late in very stormy conditions!

Our stay was excellent. - for us this time, our usual overnight stopover after the St. John ferry on our way between Nova Scotia and Montreal via the US. I have been anticipating the Algonquin re-opening as a Marriott property since they announced the takeover. I am a platinum elite so I was very happy to see another Marriott in NB. The Algonquin is a super way to unwind after the ferry instead of those (other unnamed bland) chain hotels in St. John. No comparison whatsoever.

This was my first time to St Andrews, and I look forward to returning. The property is excellent, larger than life, and lives up to its hype. We were granted (and much appreciated!) a splendid 1br Exec Suite overlooking the water and the main building, with enough room and seating to host a party! Judging by what I have seen, any one of the rooms in house would be an excellent pick with various unique views and layouts.

The service staff was extremely attentive and responsive and provided very personalized service. Even though we were there on a stormy Sunday night in the off season, the skeleton staff crew made the best of it and ensured our needs were met.

We missed out on dinner, arriving late - but we did have room service breakfast - which was excellent. I appreciated the menu selections, short menu, simple, local fare quality ingredients and a very reasonable price. The corned beef hash and the Banana oatmeal were tasty!.  This is not your ordinary Marriott foodservice.  I look forward to the breakfast and dinner in the restaurant next time we're there.

As per any full service Marriott - beds are super, finishings are modern, and room is 100% perfect. Attention to detail in every way. - love the custom room keys and bathroom soaps. You would never know you were in a 100 year old (previously) Fairmont resort, yet it retained all of its original character. 5-star all the way, this one stands out and is worth the trip.

Parking is free and easy, and the wifi was free (and fast). The only thing to watch for is the 3 day cancellation policy. I understand the reasoning for this policy but for us it leads to only using same day bookings due to flexible travel dates with kids, and the weather. (especially in winter).

The pool/4 story waterslide is awesome. The kids are excited about coming back!  I would imagine the vibe at this property during the warmer months is very happening, with a lot of outdoor space, firepits, bar / multiple patios  / bikes and golf if you're into that. Two nights here is a must. One night is also good due to its proximity to other areas of NB and Maine.

I look forward to returning again!  If all lines up, and I don't end up on the Nova Star instead of the St.John ferry, we'll see you again tomorrow night!.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...