6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2014 6:23 PM by kk_z1 RSS

How Long is it Acceptable for an EMail to be Answered?

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi Everyone,

I am getting so fed up with Marriott West India Quay.  It is one of our favourite hotels, but this is getting so frustrating it may end up as one of our least favourite!

I have booked 5 nights later in the year on marriott Reward Points.  But I don't want a standard room, I want to upgrade to a Studio Suite.  So I made the points booking on line, then sent this EMail to the hotel at 8am on 20th March.

"I have made a rewards points reservation for 5 nights from **.

Can you please tell me how much I would need to pay in cash, and how many Rewards points, to upgrade the reservation to a Studio Suite.

Thankyou."

It took until 8:50 pm on 21st March (i.e. over 36 hours) to receive the following reply.

"Thank you for contacting our Sales team.

The cost of upgrading your reservation to a Studio suite is £** per night. We unfortunately do not offer upgrades using rewards points.

Should you wish to reserve the Studio suite, please could you kindly let me know and I will update your reservation.

We look forward to welcoming you to our hotel and please feel free to contact me should I be of any further assistance."

The next morning, 22nd March at 7:20 am, I responded "Thankyou for the information.  I am happy at the upgrade rate of £**, and so would like to upgrade my reservation to a Studio Suite.  High floor if possible please.  Last time we were staying with you, I believe our Studio Suite was on 6th floor, and it was lovely.

My Marriott Rewards number is **, and my reservation number is **.  If you could update that reservation to a Studio Suite and confirm to me that it has been done, I would be very grateful."

As I had no response by this afternoon, 23 March, at 16:15, - i.e 80 hours since I first contacted them, I telephoned to ask what on earth was going on, and said I expected a response within 30 minutes.  That time has been and gone and I have heard nothing.

How long does anyone else think is reasonable please?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How Long is it Acceptable for an EMail to be Answered?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I look at email reply time just like most of my other thoughts, in a very different light than most!!

I don't expect if I send a message to one person at a hotel to get a reply within two days as who knows what their schedule is and if they are off for a few days or on vacation.  I never would reply to work emails if I was off, let alone on vacation and I expect others to work off that same philosophy so I'm not disappointed when they don't reply right away.

What I've found that works best for me when I desire a faster response is to call the hotel and speak with the appropriate person, ask for their email address and that of a co-worker in order to follow up the call with an email trail to them both.

To answer your question, I would expect a reply by the third day.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Iahflyer, sorry, but I probably did not make myself clear enough.  I did not send an email to a particular person at the hotel.  It was to the hotel in general.  So to me, they should have answered by now.

Incidentally, despite their promise over 2 hours ago to respond within 30 minutes  they have not done so.  I don't call this 5 star hotel service.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Replying, in my humble(?) opinion, is determined by the message - many of the avalanche of mail I receive needs to be attended to immediately.

When I come across the request for a decision (like someone chasing me for money) I utilize the age old excuse - "it accidently went to spam and it didn't see it" !!!!!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I get hundreds of emails daily, I suspect many people do.  I would like to think that my goal of getting back to people within 24-48 hours, depending on how I have prioritized the correspondence, is met most of the time.  However, in time of need, I also fall back on misterchk's method of pleading I never saw the email.  

They can't say they never saw it!  I checked the box for a return receipt, so I know exactly when they read it!  I am very disillusioned with the hotel, as I still have heard nothing.

kk_z1 Gold 13 Reviews

Generally, I try and avoid sending emails unless I really disliked the unprofessional behavior/attitude of the property management. I have observed and found that the emails (even when sent to a specific property) fall on deaf ears.

For reservation related questions/changes/concerns, I always call up the Marriott Reservations line and speak live (makes life much more easier and I can voice my concerns in a humble manner).

Note that you may get a response sometime in future (maybe after your visit has ended). This is what generally happens with my emails queries/web requests (i.e. the issue gets resolved and a couple of days later I get replies notifying me that "our records indicate that issue is resolved" - there is no SLA with regards to email responses, even if there is an SLA, someone is doing a bad job and not meeting it)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...