19 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2014 10:03 AM by tommo781 RSS

Need for Consistent Approach

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have just had a rather difficult experience when trying to upgrade a points reservation.  All I wanted was to book a 5 night stay on points, then upgrade it to a better room using points or cash.  Not an unreasonable request you would think.  But, when making the reservation I could find no facility to upgrade on the reservation page on the screen.  I ended up having to contact Marriott Rewards, who directed me to the hotel.  After a lot of messing around, and several phone calls and emails, I was eventually given a price for the upgrade and told there was no option at that hotel to upgrade using points.  I did get my reservation sorted out after several days, but my questions are as follows.

1. As Marriott say that some hotels offer points upgrades, why cannot ALL hotels offer points upgrades at the time of booking?

2. As I can choose points/cash for a normal points redemption reservation, why isn't the facility there on the booking screen for points/cash upgrades as well?

3. I totally understand that points redemptions are for the lowest room category, but I know I am not alone in wanting to ensure that I secure a higher category room at the same time as booking.  I am quite prepared to pay, so why does Marriott make this so difficult?

Josh hasn't replied as he promised to a similar question on another thread.  Can Marriott please give me a proper explanation now?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Need for Consistent Approach
    madmax Gold 7 Reviews

Tommo781 we don't we try calling out The specified item was not found., merb, NathalieF directly so they don't miss this post? Great questions and curious minds want to know

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Thanks Madmax.  How do we do that?  I'm not savvy with how calling out to them works.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

when you want someone to know you have responded to one of their posts or you want them to know about one of yours, put @ sign followed by their name and a drop down list will appear. Click on the name and it will come up like this Tommo781 and they will be notified that their name has been mentioned. Let me know if you have trouble understanding my explanation (sometimes I get carried away and over explain things) and I will find the link that explains in real jargon. Happy posting!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Tommo781,

When you see a name highlighted Carolina Blue such as yours is that is what I believe madmax is referring to when she says "calling out" as this will put the message directly into their inbox just as you will find it in your inbox so the thread isn't missed by folks.

In order to accomplish the "calling out" you insert the @ symbol and then start to type in their name i.e., @tommo781. At some point during the typing of the name you'll see the persons name show up in a little window and just put your mouse on the name and click......Poof, there it is.  I have to thank GemPrincess for instructing me on how make it work, she did good, huh?

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Tommo781, this might help Re: Mentioning another insider in a post.

You're absolutely right in that the process could be simplified, especially at the time of booking a redemption stay. I'll make sure the team knows about your suggestion.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

thanks andy for adding that link. Like I said, I tend to go extreme when explaining. I am not the teacher that bejacob or you are

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Sorry, but have you read my post?  It wasn't a suggestion.  It was definitely a set of questions. "I'll make sure the team knows about your suggestion" doesn't answer a single one of my questions.  Please ensure I get a proper response, because after all the hassle I had, I feel I deserve one!

The honest truth is that the site and our hotels are not currently configured to offer that functionality. Ultimately it would be great if ALL hotels would offer that functionality at the time of booking a redemption stay. And to your last question, we do want to make the transaction process easier than it is today, but upgrades are currently handled on property and based upon availability.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

So not at all customer focussed then?  Marriott would rather their Elite Rewards members had a load of hassle than to make the process simple on their website.  Come on, this is the 21st century.  It would be simple to make the facility available on the website.  If you really mean what you say about wanting to make the process easier, you would do something about it.  And when can I expect an answer to my first question? merb The specified item was not found.

Agreed The site should help expedite any transaction and provide all relevant information. I know there are a lot of moving parts but that's our job to figure out so you and your fellow Members have a better experience.

I'll put on my captain obvious hat for a moment: As currently structured in the terms, availability and Upgrade Reward requirements vary by hotel/hotel category, room type and by season. There are exceptions for brands, room types, locations.

The best advice I can give is to check the Room Description when booking Rewards Redemption reservation online for currency and other redemption requirements.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

What did he say when he put that hat on?  

It's the exceptions that sneak up on us.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I don't understand a word of that, and I have a measured high IQ, so it isn't obvious at all.  What on earth do you mean by "The best advice I can give is to check the Room Description when booking Rewards Redemption reservation online for currency and other redemption requirements."

I already said, all I could do was book on points and/or cash.  Nothing more.

And "as currently structured in the terms, availability and Upgrade Reward requirements vary by hotel/hotel category, room type and by season. There are exceptions for brands, room types, locations" applies for every booking, whether it is for points or cash.  If I go into a Hotel website to book using cash, different rates will be shown for different dates at the same hotel.  If a particular room category is sold out, I cannot book it.  So what is the difference with booking upgrades with points and/or cash?  All the booking screen has to show is what is available.  None of this is rocket science, so I don't understand why Marriott are making such difficulty out of such a simple issue.

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

Tommo781,

It might be a good idea for you to take a step back and come back to this another time.  You are being overly hostile to someone who is just trying to help.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Despite what you say, I have not been abusive.  You also have absolutely no right to judge me.  I really do not think you should be telling me what I should and shouldn't do, especially as you do not know the background to this, and the hassle Marriott have already caused me.  Maybe if Marriott had answered my perfectly reasonable questions on this thread without trying to fob me off, or confuse the issue with gobbledegook, this issue would have been settled hours ago.

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

I think you have mistaken this site for the Customer Service department.  It is for Insiders to share their knowledge and expertise.  With an attitude such as yours I imagine it will be very limited in your direction.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I have sent you a direct message, appropriate to your insulting and offensive post.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Years ago, you used to be able to upgrade for either points or cash.  The option would come up when reserving.  I like to be able to upgrade when at a resort.  For some reason, that has disappeared.

I stayed at a Sheraton in Maui and upon check in was offered an upgrade for a price.  I took it and it made my point stay much nicer.  This has not happened at a Marriott.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...