32 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2014 8:26 PM by sherpl Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

Year of Surprises nomination inquiry

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

michellel2 Well this link either doesn't answer my question or I just don't know how to find the answer.  At any rate, I see from you response above to erc that the winners have been selected.  Since I haven't heard anything at all, I'll guess that my idea of honoring the young men and women who keep is safe enough to enjoy such parties didn't make Marriott's cut.  I won't be reapplying.  I'll leave that to those with awesome ideas.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Year of Surprises nomination inquiry
    michellel2 Marriott Associate

Nu - if you can give me more detail around what you're asking, I'm be happy to answer it for you.  Nominations are for honoring a specific individual vs a group of people, so feel free to nominate a veteran or active service person.  If you nominated an entire class of persons in general, well, that would be outside the rules of the contest.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Rules...I know rules.  But as expressed by erc, Marriott blew a golden opportunity with this one.  You've answered my questions.  Out.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

I just spent the last 20 minutes wading through those rules and eligibility requirements, and I've decided the reason the beach party-goers on the "Year of Surprises" homepage all look just barely over the required minimum age for participation is that they're the only age group with the energy and stamina to easily make it through the rules!

I'm gonna catch a quick nap now before my 3:30 class.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Nuhusker,

I have kept quiet until now, because I see the "issues" with your nomination, but thought perhaps that you were able to outline a specific plan in your nomination that I wouldn't have thought of.  I have been curious as to how you envisioned that this would work.  Would it be at BWI?  Would it be for the random service persons that trickle through BWI on their way back to their deployed from duty stations in the states or on their way to their next duty station (from overseas?)  Would it be for an entire unit?  Would they just stop their movement (rotation) right in the middle of transporting from Afghanistan (via BWI or elsewhere) to Fort or Base or Air Station whatever, to have a party?  My understanding is that most service people just pass through BWI or other airports on their way to - wherever, somewhere.  They're just connecting from one flight to another.  They're on orders.  Their homes and their duty stations are all over.  They want to reunite with their families.  How would you pick a specific date?  How would you pick a specific unit?  How would the party work?  How do they get permission from their commands?  (We know how the military works.)  Would a specific date and time be set and then whomever happened to be passing through at the time be invited to participate?  What if no one passed through on orders at the specified date/time?  How do you define a specific date/time, especially when you don't know exactly who or from where or when they are passing through?  Who exactly would be invited and how many (because there are many who have served or are currently serving in combat zones)?  Would Marriott pay all of their (and their families) ways to Baltimore (or wherever) on a contest budget of $20K?  What is the specific plan?

All I am saying is that unless you outlined a specific plan of when, where, and exactly whom and how they would get there, all under $20K, I see the problem in the context of this contest.  I love the idea and the intent as does everybody - it is noble and honorable, there is no question about it.  I am just not understanding how do-able it is.  I know you work with a number of veterans through the wounded warrior project.  I'm sure that many of them are worthy of a nomination, by name.  I personally think you are most worthy of the nomination for all of the work that you do with our veterans, and also just because you are an all around good guy and wonderful family man and human being.  You are an unsung hero, as I'm sure you would wish it to be (unsung), though you may not get that wish, mister.  We are singing your praises.

I'm very sorry that this idea didn't work out, but I think I see the problem.  Okay everyone, go ahead and start bagging.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

This points to a problem that this contest has: rules that seem to be designed to prevent the most appealing of ideas from being accepted. yes, I know that a third party is handling the details and apparently makes the rules, but isn't Marriott sponsoring the contest? Do they not have any say in this? I realize there are legal issues in any giveaway as well as income tax consequences, but gee whiz, can'e we have a contest like this with room for the fantastic idea from #NUHusker?

erc Platinum

Well, this puts a very disappointing end to a marvelous idea and to add insult to injury, NathalieF, you branched these most recent comments off of the Devaluation Rumor Mill  thread (which I agree that you should) but locked the previous post where the depth of Insider support for the nuhusker Surprise Party Nomination http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/102928#102928 and did not (as you said you would) at the very least, link it to this post as an incoming thread (over to the right column - below More Like This).

I don't participate in contests and I therefore certainly don't read the rules, so no doubt, like pluto77 above writes and michellel2 informed us, the nuhusker nomination probably didn't meet all the criteria for the law firm that was monitoring the results (man, doesn't that sound like "you can't use the almost worthless $10 F & B credit at Starbucks, because it's independently operated"), but like anadyr writes above, isn't Marriott clever, thoughtful enough to have an event where one war veteran honoring others could be arranged? For example, like Insider of the Month or Roady Awards, something actually determined by Insiders; as opposed to the Hilton Awards winner taking home the Cee Lo Green, Creep Out Your Neighbor, Discovery Door Contest, or the literally hundred awards for either Baseball or Reviews Contests (pick your poison, I can't remember which momentum killing distraction it was) with only one contributing Insider skiadcock winning a consolation prize) and of course the infamous Ask Arne debacle that generated hundreds of replies only to deem one question as pointworthy.

Granted, I've been somewhat naive about Insiders truly being an Inside group of Marriott travelers as it relates to information release, and I can of course, deal arms length with a corporation in regard to it's pricing strategy of its services and awards program, but this party decision, really knocks the wind out of my sails. I am disappointed that Marriott lacked the energy (because the skill definitely exists - Mr. Travel Brilliantly Corporation) to utilize a bit of lateral thinking to successfully implement (contest or not) an idea by a charter member of this forum who presented an idea strongly supported by the forum's membership to implement what could have easily been a huge win/win for all involved. It's as if the decision has been made to completely ignore an entire target market segment.

I think that we can have our own contest and do what #NUHUSKER asked every time we see a returning veteran at an airport. It may not be as lavish, or as grandiose but I would hope that we could make that person feel welcomed home.  After all it is the least we can do, and for this contest there are no rules.

Thanke to them for their service--they win my contest!!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Hopefully, all of us already do so.  I, for one, do not need a contest to do what's right. These warriors deserve not only our thanks, but also our respect and admiration.

erc Platinum

I believe those of us most disappointed in the outcome are the ones who like pingreeman, (and certainly nuhusker , yourself, IAHFLYR Anadyr, et al) who recognize (be it by attending arrivals, laying wreaths, working with Wounded Warrior, etc) the tremendous service provided by the servicemen and women. One of the saddest visions at each of the Nationals ballgame I attend is when the PA announcer recognizes the wounded veterans down behind home plate and more than half of them are with their moms, so young they haven't even had a chance to start a family.

Marriott dropped the ball on this one - period, end of statement.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

erc,

Bingo!  Your points are excellent and written very well, they might as well lock this thread as well since nothing more needs to be written on this topic.

Yep so true, ERC, so true.  Even United Airlines allows military personnel to board first, waives the bag fees, and treats these folks (very young) well.

Sounds like you've got it all figured out.  And your questions are null and void.  There won't be a party like I suggested, so it's a non-issue.  Like I said, I'll leave the submissions to those with "awesome" ideas.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Husker

Your idea was a great one.  It just turns out this wasn't the right vehicle to make it happen.  It's too bad, the idea was/is a noble one…..

Thanks, Shoeman.  I was a little po'ed at first, but then reality set in...much bigger fish to fry right now.

Husker, the fact that the idea did not make it through the rules maze does not diminish what a great idea it was and is.

Thanks for suggesting it.  Perhaps we collectively can make it happen, but at the moment not being in BWI or the DC area, I don't know how.

Roger

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Absolutely anadyr and nuhusker! Kudos where due and a wholehearted thank you to all our active duty or retired service members around the World.

Husker, the fact that the idea did not make it through the rules maze does not diminish what a great idea it was and is.

Bazinga. How?

No, actually I am quite baffled.  But that's no surprise, pardon the pun.

erc Platinum
          pluto77 my Insider pal and revered military service personnel;
          Granted, I have intentionally been taking advantage of michellel2's stated effective management practice of Marriott social media allowing the 'offensive' vent to go unanswered usually to vaporize in its own time.
          By no means 'bagging', but I'll use your reply to state, what everyone no doubts hopes, is my last comment about the Surprise Party issue.
          You are dead on correct, the nuhusker nomination most likely did not meet all of the specific requirements of the relatively lengthy contest official rules.  I must admit, being a non-contest player, when NathalieF posted in Exclusive Sneak Peeks about the Surprise Party, by just glancing at and moving on, I initially thought it was an Insiders contest (not realizing it was a much more formal Marriott Rewards contest). When Nu then announced his nomination I, along with many other Insiders thought, "wow, that's a terrific idea" a selfless act honoring those who performed the ultimate selfless acts - a win/win for everyone involved.
          As the brouhaha grew, I actually took the time to go back through all of the links (and like foxglove observed, certainly the images of beach going millennials celebrating wasn't too encouraging for the likes of our Insider nomination) and discovered that yes, the administrator, Don Jagoda Associates would have a difficult time naming nu's nomination as a winner in the contest.....But not necessarily the sponsor, Marriott Corporation in the world outside of the contest.
          That's where all of my barking comes in. I (as certainly many, many Insiders) have spent decades negotiating deals with far more complexities than figuring out how to implement a win/win scenario outside of the rigid formality of a contest. I had one deal where the principal died a week prior to scheduled closing and we had to renegotiate the terms (and successfully did) with seven heirs, over three countries, who each disliked and distrusted one another. I remain confident that Marriott's social media marketing team could have similarly crafted an outcome where outside of the Rewards contest, the Insider troop of loyalists, a highly regarded forum veteran, the much deserved current service personnel risking their limbs and lives for our comfort of grabbing a room with a view, and Marriott itself, would have all won, well within a $10,000 budget or less (contest was up to $14k).
          I (again, like I'm certain, many Insiders) am on a Foundation Board whose resources are easily less than 1/100th of Marriott's and whose annual donations are probably less than Social Media's budget, yet we find, no, we make reasons for donating that much or more for causes as worthy as nuhusker's.
          My disappointment/aggravation isn't over Marriott's lack of philanthropy, they're a wonderful company, whose practices I frequently highlight and model when working with younger executives and their corporations; no, my disappointment is over the lack of creative thinking from creative people over missing what a marvelous opportunity this would have been/and actually is.
          It's not my responsibility to think for Marriott, but in regards to how something could be done - Nu comes to DC annually paying his regards to veterans through visits to VA Hospitals and to memorials like The Vietnam, USMC, WWII, and this year's, Tomb of The Unknown Soldier. Marriott could easily find out when and host a Veteran's/Insiders appreciation party at the Key Bridge Marriott (always seeking revenue). I would donate 25,000 points and Insiders could donate 1,000 points (two check in bonuses, two baseball stories or two 'extraordinary' hotels testimonials) and Marriott could match, providing at least one Veteran with a nice vacation on top of the appreciation party.
          It's hard for me to get pumped up over sharing Top 5 Local Tips for Marriott to beef up their Insider forum when, time and time again I feel Marriott is crafting a one way relationship with the participants. A selfless act by a Veteran and Insider charter member of requesting an appreciation party for the ultimate contributors, rather than increased upgrades, the ability to use Certs w/points or having free coffee at CYs is one of the finest ways to show appreciation for, of course not only the Veterans, but also the loyalty of The Insiders. My time is up, I thank you for yours.

This conversation has caused me a great deal of consternation - I dearly hope this is all about not getting a party.  As erc states, Marriott is recognized globally for service to its communities which includes veterans, active duty personnel and their families. If there is any veiled attempt to goad us into submission to 'prove' our patriotism, fuggetaboutit.

Relative to your personal military support with points, there are two actions you can take immediately:

Industry colleagues have teamed together with the Department of Defense to create Hotels for Heroes in support of Fisher House.  This is an excellent way to use your points for wounded military service members and their families.

If you'd like to independently donate your points to charitable organizations, you have an option to select thousands of charities by clicking here.

Legally, we cannot sidestep the rules of the Year of Surprises contest.  The area of 'contests' is heavily regulated in the United States, and there is zero chance that any exception can be made.  Therefore, please uncouple your ask for a party from the Year of Surprises contest unless you wish to follow the rules that have been published.

If you’re interested in creating a community-sponsored activity, position the conversation around that.  Grousing about a website’s image of young people on a beach, or that we’re not creative or that you’re sore an idea didn’t get picked is not the way to mobilize positive energy.

Dear Michelle, we get it, we really do.  The contest is the contest, but military service is a lot more than contests. We can honor these men and women in many ways, which I and others try to do on a daily basis. I live in a military town (Monterey) and have the greatest respect for these folks, most of whom could be my grandchildren, as they work toward keeping us free.

I was not one of the fortunate ones to come back from military service with a hero's welcome: in fact just the opposite. But it was the Vietnam era.  I want and all of us want here on Insiders to honor vets and those currently serving. We don't want or need a contest to do that.

Roger

Yep - and I did a good, long stint as a military spouse, so you're singing to the choir.

So did MRS. Anadyr and many others.

So, let's forget the contest and move on to other things like complaining about no suite upgrades and missing slippers in our rooms

I was at the Cosmopolitan last month (not to open another pack of cards) and their slippers, with a hint of their signature orange color scheme, were so cool I had to wear them AND take them home.  No, I didn't get breakfast or an upgrade or anything else either.  But the slippers were cool!

Little things mean a lot, as we all know.

My wife is fond of (daily) foot rubs, but that's another story

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

How about suite upgrades with daily foot massages?

erc Platinum

1) Yes, youngsters at the beach is not relevant to the discussion - either way

2) Totally agree (and stated) about contests - this point is as much as a distraction as the beachgoers

3) http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/106008#106008 here's some positive energy mobilized

4) I don't need resources for donating - I have them - this was about tying in Insiders, Marriott, and veterans

5) I stated creativity because the alternative (to me) was indifference and I knew that not to be the case. There wasn't even a scintilla of an intimation of Marriott being non-patriotic, quite the opposite. The issue was over effort toward the idea of Insiders/Veterans/Marriott, not the overall concept of patriotism.

We just disagree over whether the idea merited a smaller scale, non-contest implementation by Marriott, I can and do respect that, but avoid trying to read anything more into my words.

Apologies, erc ~ my words were in response to the greater conversation, not your comments.  The reply got attached to you in error.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

This thread is the first I've heard of this surprise party thing that Marriott is doing. It is a fun idea and a nice benefit to the winner.  I'm not sure who won the contest on the first round but congrats to them.

I agree with pluto77's comments about the difficulty in doing the proposed nomination above.  For other people who don't win, I would say it is a contest and contests are hard to win so I think the better way to go about it is to congratulate the winners and move on (just my opinion though).

In addition, I'm very familiar with event planning...especially event planning that is complimentary for the attendees but not for the businesses and sponsors holding the event. That's a thankless job and there is only so much the people on the ground can control. I know a lot of hard work will go into these events so good luck to those planning these events.

sherpl Platinum 2 Reviews

THIS IS A SCAM.  JUST SPOKE WITH THE MARRIOTT REWARDS REP. SO SORRY.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...