1 2 3 7 Previous Next 101 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2015 7:05 PM by gopadres RSS

Dining at Marriott

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Many insiders like to complain about the Bistro at Courtyard properties.

Here are just a few of the many discussions on the topic.

Stop buying food at Bistro

Anyone else HATE the Bistro?

Think about a Courtyard with Bistro Boycott

Access to the CL is almost universally loved (except when it's not open ).

So, setting the above thoughts aside for a moment,

At which Marriott property restaurants would you recommend dining?

I don't think I've eaten a meal other than breakfast at any Marriott hotel (except for dinner at a CY Bistro one evening when I was too lazy to go outside ), so I can't really chime in here, but I'd like to hear about some good places to eat. For now, let's keep it only to hotel restaurants (if we got to places off site, this could go on for weeks. We can save that for another discussion).

Breakfast, lunch, dinner, "medicinals"? Doesn't matter.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 1. Re: Dining at Marriott
    impresario07 Platinum 4 Reviews

If I had to say my favorite meals I've had at any Marriott property, it would have to be the Dallas City Center Marriott CL. The CL is touted as the largest in North America (unconfirmed, but they did mention it many times) and the food stands up to the grandeur. I stayed there for almost 7 weeks straight and it was a 2 week rotation, but in a stretch they had Tuesday: Pulled Pork and Baked Potatoes. Wednesday: Chicken and Steak Fajitas. Thursday: Chicken fried steak and loaded mashed potatoes. Obviously there was salad everyday and dessert served around 7:30. The desserts were very diverse as well including, cookies, tres leches cake, pecan pie, brownies, and cheesecake. The staff is phenomenal and very knowledgable and a joy to be around. My coworkers, even those staying at different properties (notably Hilton's Homewood Suites) wanted to be our +1 for our dinners.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: Dining at Marriott
    impresario07 Platinum 4 Reviews

They have a restaurant in the lobby of this hotel called Centric which had some good quesadillas and other apps, but the price was a little higher than I'd prefer and the CL was just too enticing.

• 3. Re: Dining at Marriott
    jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

bejacob,

Another great discussion.  I look forward to hearing what others have to report.

A few experiences come to mind as particularly great dining experiences. 

For quality of food - I had the best grouper sandwich a few years ago at Solano on Seven Mile Beach at the Grand Cayman Marriott.  Of course the fish was fresh, but so was the bread and the garnish which made for an all around amazing lunch.

For quality of service - the pool bar at the Orlando World Center Marriott has quality food and lots of "medicinal" choices, but the bartenders/pharmacists are what make the experience stick out in my mind.

For overall dining experience (excellent food and fantastic service) -  I just recently stayed at the Dearborn Inn and had what is likely my best Marriott dining experience.  I wrote more about our meal there in my recent blog post: Detroit Trip Report.

• 4. Re: Dining at Marriott

With all that great food for free, I can understand.

• 5. Re: Dining at Marriott
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Bejacob

while I am certain that Marriott corp appreciates this question, they may not like my answer.  Other than a few meals at the Ritz Carlton, Kapalua., and a few breakfasts at the Ritz Carlton, St Louis.,  I avoid eating where I am sleeping.  I find most hotel restaurants to be rather average with their only positives being location and immediate availability of a table.  sorry…...

• 6. Re: Dining at Marriott

shoeman1000, I tend to agree. I like to walk to a nearby restaurant for dinner rather than eat in the hotel. It goes with my "value-conscious traveler" personna.

Paying extra for the convenience of not leaving the hotel is usually not worth it (for me). That said, I would expect to dine in-house occasionally. Looks like erc has a list that may be worth trying.

Message was edited by: bejacob (to correct grammar)

• 7. Re: Dining at Marriott
    ansaa Member

Great discussion topic, bejacob. I'm liking all of the answers so far, even the very honest ones !

• 8. Re: Dining at Marriott
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

At the Kauai Marriott, I could eat at the Marriott restaurant or Dukes.  The Marriott one prices were about 50% more and the food was inferior.  Needless to say, I choose Dukes over the Marriott.

The best CL food was at the Savannah Riverfront.  One evening they served coconut shrimp and they were good and plentiful.  Another evening a chief set up a pasta bar and was cooking for us.

• 9. Re: Dining at Marriott
    erc Platinum
    I've had excellent meals at;
    Simply Fish - Marriott Stellaris Aruba
    Perla - Renaissance San Juan
    Osteria Pronto - JW Marriott Indianapolis
    Watertable - Renaissance Baltimore
    Sunday Brunch - Westfields (Va.) Marriott
    and for ol' times sake, gone but not forgotten;
    The View - Key Bridge (Va.) Marriott
    Blackie's House of Beef - M St. Marriott (Wash DC)
    (pushed wrong button in editing)

• 10. Re: Dining at Marriott
    sg1974 Gold

I would agree with Shoeman we rarely eat in the hotel where we are staying.

The times we have done is when we have booked a package that includes dinner or arriving late at a property and no reservations elsewhere.

I find that many hotel restaurants are quite bland and could be anywhere in the world.

• 11. Re: Dining at Marriott
    bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Frequently would eat in full service Marriott restaurants when I was working due to time constraints, and this habit has carried over to my retirement.  Some of the FS Marriott restaurants I still frequent and enjoy are the Marriott North Pittsburgh; Marriott AP Pittsburgh; Jacksonville Marriott; Marriott Marquis NYC; Charleston Marriott, WV; Renaissance Charleston, SC, Renaissance Bay Harbor, MI; Myrtle Beach Marriott.  Cannot go wrong at these properties.

• 12. Re: Dining at Marriott
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

bejacob,

You can't go wrong with these selections!

Honolulu Eats - Sansei Seafood Restaurant (Waikiki Beach Marriott)

Honolulu Eats - Arancino Di Mare (Waikiki Beach Marriott)

Honolulu Eats - Naupaka Terrace, JW Marriott Ihilani Resort & Spa

Berlin Eats - Midtown Grill

d.k Steak House (Waikiki Beach Marriott) - have yet to try, but hear is really good.  Same owner as Sansei

Migrant Maui (Wailea Beach Marriott)  - will be trying in August and will be sure to report back.  Initial reviews are good! 

Azul Ihilani JW Marriott Hawaii Resort Hotel Oahu - never wrote a review because I never took pictures.  It's good though

• 13. Re: Dining at Marriott

Great stuff! I'll remember these when the time comes.

• 14. Re: Dining at Marriott
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Let me know when you do bejacob

1 2 3 7 Previous Next