11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2014 9:16 AM by shoeman1000 RSS

If cost is not an object in NYC, where should I stay?

hhonorsdiamond Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have a once-in-a lifetime trip to NYC coming up, and I'd like to cash in my points so that the hotel stay on the trip contributes to the unforgettable experience.  Cost is no object.  I have about six times as many points as I need for the stay at any hotel in Manhattan for my intended time.

I've stayed at the Marriott Marquis before, which was nice but also a mega-hotel that was kind of bland and a bit impersonal because of the size.  I'm thinking of staying at the Essex House (in the 80s, a relative stayed in a penthouse that was owned by his Fortune 500 company, and I got to see the place as a kid), the Marriott East Side, the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge, the Renaissance 57, or one of the Ritzs.  I don't know the Autograph collection well enough to know if I should be looking at any of them.

I'm Platinum, if the elite-level service matters at all.

Any and all advice appreciated!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New York Marriott East Side
New York, New York, USA The Ritz-Carlton The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park
New York, New York, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance New York Hotel 57
New York, New York, USA Autograph Collection Carlton Hotel, Autograph Collection
New York, New York, USA Autograph Collection The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection
New York, New York, USA Autograph Collection The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection
New York, New York, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Essex House New York
New York City, New York, USA
New York-Manhattan, New York, USA
  • Re: If cost is not an object in NYC, where should I stay?
    vickisocal Platinum

I like to be on the park myself, so Essex or RC. My favorite thing to do in NYC is get up early and go for a run in the park.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I agree with vickisocial on the locale, especially if Central Park is in your plans. Either of the two properties (Ritz and Essex House) are, in my opinion much better choices than Hotel 57 (which I love), Marriott Eastside, or Marriott Marquis (which I hate).  Another option is the Ritz Carlton Battery Park which I understand is a special place.  Either way, what better place than NYC for a special occasion.  I love the Town!  If you want any dining options let us know as many of us have opinions in that matter.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

shoeman,

Agree with you on The Marquis!

hhonorsdiamond Platinum

Central Park probably isn't in my plans; I think I'll try to get into the Ritz at Battery Park.  I have to believe it's really special given that it basically has to cater towards people who are way wealthier than I am.  I've worked for some pretty successful companies, but I think if I had ever submitted a bill for a Ritz in Lower Manhattan I would have needed to start looking for a new job immediately!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

The Ritz there is spectacular but very pricey.  Let us know how it goes if you stay there.

Rates can be astronomical at the club level and as I mentioned there is no comping for Platinum members.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I used to stay there (ritz/central park) several years ago.  I ran into OJ Simpson many evenings at the bar…..  It was when he was doing Monday Night Football.  Anyway, it is very expensive, but very nice as well.  I understand from folks that have stayed at the Battery Park Ritz that it too is very nice..

ladder Platinum 1 Reviews

The Algonquin is a great place if you are into the historical/boutique feel, if not, and you want the whole 9 yards better off staying at one of the flagship properties. Certain months, the CL is closed, and they give you a certificate for a continental bfast at the restaurant. I think there are only 12 floors, so don't expect a view. I agree with what you say about the Marquis, but at times it's just the better option in that few block radius.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Marriott and Rennaissance brands will treat you well but any of the Rotz Carlton's there will be special for a stay. Yoy can cash points and then pay for Club Level access, which IMHO is worth the dollars.

feiney Platinum

I have stayed at the Marquis, Marriott East, Renaissance, and Essex House.  I'd absolutely go with the Essex House of all of these again.  Loved being by the park and subway is close....though if the Ritz is an option I would stay there.  The level of service you should be getting there would be a step above.

On my next few trips I'm going to be checking out the autograph collections like the Algonquin

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...