20 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2015 9:54 PM by ssindc RSS

Baseball and Marriott

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

With the start of the baseball regular season just around the corner I am curious to hear from my fellow MRI baseball fans.

What ballparks are you planning to visit this year?

I am planning to see the Phillies play in Pittsburgh and WDC.  I'd like to see them play early May in Toronto, but don't think I can swing it.

What is your favorite ballpark to visit?

Favorite ballpark to visit is Nationals Stadium.  The mix of location, atmosphere, and ballpark amenities make it tops for me.

Any favorite hotels near ballparks to recommend?

No favorite hotels, but for anyone planning to visit Philadelphia for a game and not wanting to stay in Center City, they just opened a new CY (Hotels in South Philadelphia | Courtyard Philadelphia South at The Navy Yard) a mile or so from the park.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
San Diego, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Philadelphia South at The Navy Yard
Toronto, Ontario, Canada Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel
  • Re: Baseball and Marriott
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

For all you headed to Philly, Philadelphia Airport Hotels | Philadelphia Airport Marriott Hotel was always a great stay before I'd fly home and is connected to the terminals, plus only about 2 miles to Citizens Bank Park | phillies.com: Ballpark and the Hotels near Philadelphia Airport | Philadelphia Airport Hotels is very nice and just a little further from the ballpark. 

Either or both may run a shuttle so it might be worth checking out, but if you stay at the PHL Marriott you have to stop and say hi to my good buddy Nathan in the CL. In fact, if you call the lounge after 5 PM on he will probably answer the phone and he will give you all the details you could possibly want.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

At this stage, my ballpark visits consist of 8U and t-ball games for the grandsons. Not that I wouldn't like to see a few big boys play but if any the only team I may see is Rangers at Arlington Stadium.

ansaa Member

Great post, jakeal! I love hearing Baseball-talk, it gets me in the mood for Spring.

Though I am completely biased I think a trip to see the Detroit Tigers at Comerica Park is well worth it. The stadium is phenomenal and the Tigers are always to watch. However, my adopted baseball team (since I have a love for the sport and need to attend games) are the Chicago Cubs. There is nothing comparable to a game at Wrigley Field!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Going to CITI FIELD to see my beloved Cardinals take on the despised Mets.  Also will be going to the brand new  ball field in downtown Charlotte to watch the local AA team play.  Perhaps a Yankee game in the Bronx as well.  

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Baseball fans must attempt to land an outfield suite at the Renaissance in Toronto's Rogers Centre - WOW!!!! 

See more here: Toronto Renaissance - In The Ballpark

erc Platinum

I'll certainly catch several of our hometown team Nationals and whereas, I don't stay at a hotel, I always look forward to a pre-game brew or two at Gordon Biersch and now the new Bluejacket and then sometimes heading over to BP where they have happy hour which brings decent beers down to $5 from the $8.25 game time prices (and like hotel categories, probably going up). Out of towners often stay at the nearby Navy Yard CY which is convenient and certainly looks nice when I visited, but has mixed reviews, so check it out for yourself. I recommend folks staying across the river in the Cat. 4 Pentagon City Residence Inn or the often terrific, less than $100 weekend Crystal City Marriotts and taking an easy Metro ride to the Navy Yard stop.

Wrigley Field -  O'Hare Renaissance Suites blue line to Addison, can catch a shuttle (or daughter picks me up 'if available') or North Chicago River SpringHill. I keep saying I'm going to try the townhouse bleachers, perhaps this is the year (but still no southside Sox).

O's at Camden Yards - the Marriott is a nice walk on a pleasant evening, Renaissance Harborplace also is very nice. although we usually take the hotel dollars and invest them in....you guessed it, food (ok, and a few brewskis).

Batting practice....Rangers/Orioles game

Phillies - I've usually stayed at Renaissance Philly Airport and made my Jersey friends pick me up - but IAH's suggestion looks pretty good (and of course I would barter the convenience for, oh something would come to mind.

Yankees - our annual drive to Jersey City CY, good parking rates, and then train to stadium

I'm 0 for 3 the past seasons with the Pirates, even having reservations at the lovely looking Renaissance, but stuff seems to always come up.

then a slew of minor league (I've coached a few players banging around in the bushes and awaiting their assignments) and college games at Fairfields (FFI Christiansburg is a favorite for VaTech and FFI Charlottesville for UVa) and a trip to see a broadcast buddy doing the Pensacola Wahoos games (how about that vaboy, 2 Wahoos in one season!), careful tef, I just may make a left turn and turn up in Ft. Walton.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

We will see the Giants play at AT&T Park again, and probably stay at SF Oyster Point on cat. 5 certs (before the properties bump up to cat. 6).  We like taking the Cal Train right up to the main square in front of the ballpark.

Also, we are hopeful to see the Anaheim Angels at Angels Stadium.  There are too many good lodging options in the Marriott stable to mention for this venue.  If you want to rub elbows with the stadium, then TPS Anaheim Main Gate is a good option: free parking, right next to Amtrak station, walk to the ballpark, swimming pool.  For a nicer property, Anaheim Marriott is 2.5 miles away, but no shuttle or free parking.

Finally, we plan to attend a Bosox home game at Fenway Park in September when we visit Boston.  Never been to Fenway Park (or Boston), never seen the Red Sox play in person.  I am very excited about it.  We have not picked our property yet.  Since lodging is so expensive, we will do a points stay (the Ritz-Carlton Boston Common is only $1500/night, gee).  First choice was Custom House, but it is booked for points, so probably Copley Place or Marriott Long Wharf.

My new favorite ballpark is AT&T Park, but I have not visited many MLB ballparks.  I do have a rather short bucket list: Busch Stadium, Fenway Park, Wrigley Field, Petco Park, Coors Field and Chase Field.  After reading ssindc's excellent write up that I missed, I will add Rogers Centre to the list.

The 2014 MLB season officially opens in 3 days, fans, March 22nd in Sydney, Australia - Los Angeles Dodgers vs. the Arizona Dbacks.  I can only drool.

erc Platinum

bluejays vs philly 06_16 toronto.jpg

Like ssindc talked about, if you stay at the Renaissance, get a Renaissance name from TripAdvisor or have The specified item was not found. get you the name of Rooms Manager etc and actually call them. There is too much room for error otherwise (yes, you could of course stay at the hotel and go to the game, but then you have ticket prices, expensive food and drink etc etc). Watching it from the room (while on television also) is a great time. Start the schmooze soon and make it happen, it's well worth it . PS - their lobster mac in their restaurant (also with great game views) is deeelicious!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I remember reading about an amorous couple at that hotel in full view of the fans

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

pluto77

I would highly recommend the Fenway Park Tour if you can swing it (Fenway Park Tours | redsox.com: ballpark).  I did it in March of 2008 just before the season started, but I believe they still do in during the season as well. 

Thank you for the reminder.  I had heard about that.  With all of the history, I'll bet it's pretty neat.

vickisocal Platinum

I'm surprised that noone has mentioned that you can see the field from the Gaslamp concierge lounge in San Diego.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

Thanks for the tip about the Gaslamp concierge lounge vickisocal. The Phillies usually get out to San Diego once a year so Petco Park is on my list in the next few years.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

What ballparks are you planning to visit this year?

I already have tickets to visit the following: Seattle Mariners (in April), Boston Red Sox (in May), New York Mets (in May), San Francisco Giants (in June; I have been there before).

I am also planning to visit: New York Yankees (in July) and Toronto Blue Jays (in Aug); I was also going to be in Detroit in June for a conference and I was going to watch a Tigers game, but I'm still debating.

If I go to all of those above, I will only have 2 ballparks remaining: Miami Marlins and Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

What is your favorite ballpark to visit?

My favorite is Wrigley Field--great atmosphere, great hot dogs and all the fun around it in Wrigleyville.  Of the new stadiums, I really like PNC Park in Pittsburgh.  Nationals Park was fine, but I had a bad experience with an usher.  He rudely accused me of not being able to afford the seat I was sitting in.  When I reached into my pocket to pull out my ticket, he immediately began backtracking.  Pretty much anyone wearing team apparel other than the Nationals were treated very poorly by him.  This is rare.  Usually, ushers and staff are very friendly to opposing fans and go out of their way to make your experience as nice as possible.

The rest of the staff I met at Nationals Park were very polite, personable and courteous.

Any favorite hotels near ballparks to recommend?

I have stayed at 4 Marriott brand hotels within walking distance to ballparks--Fairfield Inn Baltimore Inner Harbor, Baltimore Marriott Inner Harbor, Minneapolis Marriott City Center, and Cincinnati Marriott RiverCenter.

Of the two Baltimore hotels, I actually prefer the Fairfield Inn.  It is a longer walk, but it is a better rate and very new.  The hotel also has a great brick exterior that blends in nicely with the many great brick buildings in the Inner Harbor.  The Concierge Lounge at the Marriott has decent food, but it is very small.  The hotel is a little outdated--loud A/C units.  Kind of expensive for what you get.

The Minneapolis Marriott City Center is just a few blocks aways from where the Twins play and it is a nice property (lots of suites too so you have a good shot for an upgrade).  As long as you book ahead, you can get a reasonable room rate here.

The Cincinnati Marriott RiverCenter is actually across the bridge in Kentucky, but it is still a short walk and kind of fun.  The hotel's Concierge Lounge is open 7 days a week.  The hotel is a little dated though and it gets loud because of the open atrium.  Room rates are often a tad high.  River views are nice.  I got the chance to see the fireworks show from my room on a day I didn't attend a game.

I also stayed at a SpringHill Suites very close to where the Texas Rangers play.  It did not seem like it was in walking distance though.  Maybe it was.  The hotel was not that great (in need of an update).

I started off here: Harrisburg (PA) Senators - Great Minor League Baseball Experience , where the trail of crumbs led me - here!

We did Chase Field last month,

IMAG5507.jpg

Rare for the roof to be opened up in June

IMAG5510.jpg

Always nice when the home team wins.

This month we do Petco Park for the first time, Padres vs. Marlins

August will bring me the rare gift of being able to sit behind the Giants dugout at Wrigley Field (plus a JW, plus a Boeing Dreamliner )

September sees us back at AT&T Park in San Francisco.

Then I only have left Busch Stadium, Fenway Park, Nationals Park and Coors Field to complete my MLB stadium bucket list.  (We had to cancel our Boston trip last year.)

When did you come and visit the Juice Box (Minute Maid Park)?

IAHFLYR, I have never been to Houston.  My mlb ball park bucket list doesn't include every mlb stadium.   Having said that... I didn't realize that Minute Maid Park a) had a roof or b) was so cool looking.  Also, did you know that the Houston Astros triple A ball club is now as of this year, in - Fresno?  So perhaps I will need to add it to my exclusive list...

"If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with," said this spurned AAA Giants fan.

Yep, the Juice Box is a great place to watch a game and like NRG Stadium they roof is rarely open for games just because of temperatures being above 80 or a chance of rain exceeding some unknown Weather Channel percentages!!! 

We had tickets about 20 rows up right behind home plate a month ago and have tickets out in what they call "The Crawford Boxes" in the outfield on the 3rd baseline against the Angels in Sept....love afternoon games for sure. Also went to a Paul McCartney concert last November on a very clear crisp night and they had the roof open for it, INCREDIBLE show even if it was a bit nippy.

In fact I did know Fresno was the Stros Triple A club this year.....did you happen to see him play before getting called up, he is the real deal?

All sounds pretty nifty.  I haven't been to Chukchansi Park this year.  I guess I need to get over my snit of protest and get us on over there, since I'm only hurting myself.  Life goes on.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

For baseball fans, here's some fun links with pics (at least one of which is referenced above):

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...