20 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2014 2:58 AM by tommo781 RSS

Making a Reservation With Insufficient Rewards Points

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi Everyone,

I am sure this is all over the threads somewhere, but I would be very obliged if you could help me.

I want to book a hotel for December for 5 nights on Rewards Points.  As it is going from a cat 6 to 7 in this latest round of changes, I want to book it now and save myself 20,000 points.  At the moment I don't have quite enough points, but I will have very shortly as I have 2 cash stays coming up.  I know I can book now even though I don't have enough points, but would someone please talk me through how this works?  I would book online.

Also, if I had to cancel, would I get my points back?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Making a Reservation With Insufficient Rewards Points
    jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

Hi Tommo781,

When you chose the hotel you are wanting to stay at you will then be directed to the "rates" page listing the cash rates and the point rate in tabs.  Above that you should see this message, "Please note that some of the rewards listed below exceed your point balance. You may reserve these rooms, but you will need to earn or purchase additional points prior to check-in to redeem these hotel rewards."  You will be able to reserve the room as usual, it will just be your responsibility that by the time of your stay you have enough points to cover the stay.

In terms of cancelling, in my experience you have until the day before check-in (which is different than most cash stays when you have until 6pm day of arrival).   I would recommend clicking on the "Reward Rules" link to see as I am not sure if each property is different.

Good luck.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks for that Jakeal.  You have been very helpful.

Do you know if I get my points back easily if I have to cancel?

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

Tommo781,

I do not believe the points actually come out of your account until the actual stay, therefore if you cancel by the stated time on the "rate rules" you should never see points taken out of your account. 

The specified item was not found., merb, or ansaa could you confirm this is true?

Thanks.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Hi Tommo781,

To build on what jakeal has posted, I have had reservations made online using reward points handled in two different way..  First and most common is the points come out of your account as soon as you reserve the room and pending no cancellation policy issues they are credited back to your account as soon as you confirm your cancelling of the reservation.  I've had this happen in both the U.S. and Europe.

The second and much less common from my experience is the points are not taken from the account until I've checked into the property.  Not sure why the difference, but make sure to read the fine print of all cancellation policies as they will vary not only with the property but with the type of room/reservation you have selected such as advance payment etc.

Can't wait to see what our great Insider folks can confirm for you.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

"the points come out of your account as soon as you reserve the room and pending no cancellation policy issues they are credited back to your account as soon as you confirm your cancelling of the reservation."

IAHFLYR  This has been my experience every time using points.  Seems like a good system.

ansaa Member

Hello Tommo781,

We spoke to our Customer Care team and below is some more information to clarify/confirm all of the Insiders comments on this thread.

1. Guests may book now to hold the reservation and attach the points at a later time. The points required for the category at the time of booking will be honored.
          2. Guests have up until 2-weeks prior to the date of arrival to either attach the points or contact Marriott Rewards to advise that they will do so prior to check-in.
          3. As long as a reward reservation is cancelled within the cancellation policy time frame, then yes all points will be returned to account.
          4. A guest can only book a reservation on points, without attaching them at the time of booking, over the phone. It can not be done online. The number for the reservations department is 1-800-228-9290.

Hope this helps!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Thank you so much ansaa for your information.

vickisocal Platinum

"A guest can only book a reservation on points, without attaching them at the time of booking, over the phone. It can not be done online. The number for the reservations department is 1-800-228-9290."

Absolute nonsense. I do it all the time. Just did a dummy booking to double check this feature hasn't changed. I had to make a big one to exceed the 300K in my account right now.

Capture.JPG

It's good to know that Marriott understands how their systems work.

Ansaa, please see my post further below regarding :- 

"A guest can only book a reservation on points, without attaching them at the time of booking, over the phone. It can not be done online. The number for the reservations department is 1-800-228-9290."

This is clearly incorrect.

As there is a discrepancy between departments within Marriott, can you please also confirm that the information I was sent in an EMail from CustomerCare (quoted below) is the correct version of what will happen once I have sufficient points.

erc Platinum

And as a reminder to the good info provided above - Remember if you alter the reservation after April 7th, you are charged the newer point level, so be cautious and try to book exactly what you want pre-April 7.

vickisocal Platinum

I have done it in both scenarios for a hotel changing categories many times-

Scenario One- You have enough points in your account to cover the reservation at the current Cat level. Make the reservation, certs are ordered points are immediately deducted from the account.   Keep an eye on your account!!! Last year I did this for the Ren in Barcelona which went fro a Cat 5 to a Cat 7. A week before my stay they canceled my old certs and ordered new ones at the new rate see image below!! I called and got it fixed.

Capture.JPG

Scenario Two-  You do not have enough points in your account to cover the reservation at the current Cat level. Make the reservation, no points are deducted, no certs ordered. When you have enough points, call MR. Explain clearly that you made the reservation at the old cat level. They will issue a cert at the old level. Triple check your account. If you initially get an agent who does not sound like they fully understand the situation, thank them, hang up and call back. Make very sure you call. If you wait, they will automatically charge you the new rate and getting your points back will be a hassles.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

I have never had a problem booking a reservation when I did not have sufficient funds.  It just states I will order the e-certificate as soon as I have the funds.  I have one out there right now.  (going to Grand Flora, Rome in April, so my piggy bank is a bit depleted.)

To everyone who has been so helpful.  I am in the UK, so my time zone differs wildly from some of yours, and so your latest replies came in my inbox when I was in bed!  Yesterday afternoon, at 3:30 UK time, I tried to make the booking on line with insufficient points.  (I am only 4,000 short, which I will earn in the next 2 months.)  The system told me I was short of points, offered to sell me some, but also displayed the same pink message as in Vickisocal's post above.   So I did it, checked the box to say that I would attach a certificate when I have enough points, then got a confirmation for the reservation, which does not show the amount of points but says it is a points reemption.

To be safe, I then EMailed Marriott the following:-

"I have made the above reservation, stating I will use Reward Points.  I do not at present have quite enough points, but will have long before the arrival date.

The hotel is about to go from Cat 6 to 7, so I have booked at the old rate of 120,000 points for 5 nights before the cut off date of 7th April.  Please confirm that my reservation will be honoured at 120,000 points once I have sufficient points."

So I have told them exactly what I have done.

Overnight, I got this reply:-

"Thank you for contacting Marriott.  We appreciate the opportunity to provide you with information.

Any reward redemptions booked before the category change will be honored at the category they were booked at."

That sounds pretty clear to me, so if they try to charge me more, I have written proof that they said it is OK at the old rate.

ansaa Member

Hello everyone -

I spoke to our Customer Service team again and I would like to apologize all, including vickisocal, for the confusion. The team is always making updates to the site to make it more user friendly. Guests CAN make redemption reservations online if they do not have sufficient points and order the certificate later. The process is fairly simple (as many of you have stated), if a guest attempts to book a redemption stay that exceeds their point balance, they will be prompted to purchase extra points or order the certificate at a later time, once they have sufficient points.

To answer your specific question, Tommo781 the information provided to you by Customer Care is correct. Any reward redemptions booked before the category change will be honored at the category they were booked at. Below is some additional information:

• If the hotel changed from a lower to a higher category, for any reservation that is booked before the hotel changed category the hotel reward required for the lower category will be issued and the hotel will accept it.  
      • If the dates on an existing reservation are changed after the date the hotel changed from a lower to a higher category, a hotel certificate for the higher category will be required.
      • If the hotel changed from a higher to a lower category, the lower category reward can be used. If the hotel reward for the higher category has been ordered and attached to the reservation, it can be canceled and replaced with a hotel reward for the lower category.  If the hotel reward has not been ordered, the hotel reward for the lower category will be issued. 
      • For any reservation booked after the date the hotel changed from a lower to a higher reward, only a hotel certificate for the higher category will be issued. 

Hope this helps clarify. Thank you all for ensuring the information we pass along is up to date and correct!

vickisocal Platinum

ansaa wrote:

Hello everyone -

I spoke to our Customer Service team again and I would like to apologize all, including vickisocal, for the confusion. The team is always making updates to the site to make it more user friendly.

Thank you for the apology and correction. To clarify, this functionality is not the result of any recent change to the system to make it more user friendly. I have been able to book online with insufficient points for years.

I have just started a new thread "How do I get my old rate back?"

Marriott have changed my booking to the new rate!!!!!  merb ansaa  jerrycoin

vickisocal Platinum

See my instructions for Scenario 2 they have not changed.:

Scenario Two-  You do not have enough points in your account to cover the reservation at the current Cat level. Make the reservation, no points are deducted, no certs ordered. When you have enough points, call MR. Explain clearly that you made the reservation at the old cat level. They will issue a cert at the old level. Triple check your account. If you initially get an agent who does not sound like they fully understand the situation, thank them, hang up and call back. Make very sure you call. If you wait, they will automatically charge you the new rate and getting your points back will be a hassles.

Thanks Vickisocal.  I have explained on the other thread that I took notice of your original post, and was grateful for it.  What I didn't realise was that the reservation would be automatically altered to show the new category and points.  Very confusing I think.

Thanks again.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...