15 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2014 5:05 AM by brightlybob RSS

Pay for it?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Well, at the risk of being chastised for bringing this up, I admit that I belong to several dining club establishments (not Burger Kind or KFC) that charge a nominal fee ($50) to get money back when dining there.  Call me crazy, shoeman1000 and others, but economically--given the net present value of money, to which we all subscribe, even if it seems to make no sense, this works for Mrs. Anadyr and moi.

Now the National Restaurant Association, an association of restaurants (who knew?) commissioned a study to determine if paying making it better as far as customer loyalty goes.  Here is an executive summary of that study.

So are you willing to pay cash money to belong to a loyalty program?

Of course if you get something back in return!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Pay for it?
    aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

If it's for "guaranteed reservations on busy days, discounts on certain menu items, and skip-the-line privileges to get a table" then probably not.  I have received many great deals with living social, groupon and local coupons that I don't need a loyalty card that is going to cost money.  Maybe this would work better in a big city?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I use mine in highly trafficked cities, some resorts some urban. It gets you cash back, and also front of line for rez, We've eaten free (of course we paid a lot to eat free) several times.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

whether airlines, hotels, retail or restaurants they all want loyalty that is repeat business.  If it is free why not be in  maybe retail give you say 5-10% back once you achieve a certain dollar volume. Many times with Marriott I looked for hotels and might pay a little more and go a little further to stay at Marriott's because Platinum got me points but more important concierge. With restaurants I do like variety so would join if it is like retail after spending a certain amount I get something but likely wouldn't pay for it  Just my two cents

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

Which ones do you belong to?  I was in Las Vegas and a restaurant server talked me into signing up for Lettuce Entertain You (made sense when I did it--pay one-time $10 fee for membership and get $10 back on your next dining experience).  I decided to do it because I had been to a few of the restaurants on the list in the past and I figured I may end up there again in the future.

I pay for an AMC movie card--I make my money back on that one.  I also have an Arclight movie card--I'm not sure if I am going to make my money back on that one.  Both of these movie loyalty cards require an annual subscription.

I would pay to participate in the Marriott Rewards program.  If they ever do charge a fee, hopefully it will be like the credit card where the annual fee is covered by an immediate freebie (like the free annual category 5 certificate with the Marriott Rewards card).

Pacifica Rewards (Carlsbad and Palm Desert based)

Montrio Mondays (Monterey and Carmel)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I like that 'eat free' stuff. I belong to a deal with Club Corp that costs me $50 per month. But, for the $50 I get to eat free in top shelf restaurants all over the country and beyond. Places like the Columbia Tower Room on the 76th floor of the Columbia Tower in Seattle, The Citrus Room in Orlando, The Trophy Room in Ft Lauderdale, The Buckhead Club in Atlanta, The Symphony Tower Club in San Diego, The City Clubs in LA and DC, The Jockey Club in NYC and many more. Even better is I get to play free golf at great golf courses all over the country (like where the pros play tournaments...just not when the tournament is going on). Even better...er is that it didn't cost me a dime to join Club Corp because my Club in FL teamed up with their program and the first 50 members could get into Club Corp for free!

For the $600 it cost us last year I'll bet we had 7 or 8 thousand of free food and golf! Can't shake a stick at that!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Anadyr

Not sure I understand the concept or see the value associated with it, but if it works for you and the misses, "bon appetite".  By the way, I don't think you're crazy, just a rumor-monger……………..

ansaa Member

"That percentage grows to 51% when millennials are asked how likely they would be to pay to join a program with such features." This struck me the most from the article, anadyr. Being a millennial myself, I find it interesting that they are more likely to PAY for a loyalty program. I always thought we wanted everything for free .

Well ANSAA free is relative, the cost of a loyalty program must be factored into the cost of a service or item that we buy.  Look at Amazon for example, to get faster shipping millions of us pay 79 and now 99 dollars per year for Prime membership.  Hertz floated a trial baloon to get folks into to highest teir for 1200 dollars a year (I think that one was a dud).  My restaurant experience pays me back a tad and it also keeps me coming back to the venues that have it.  So, I hope that paying something gets me something.

ansaa Member

You are 100% correct, anadyr. I do pay for a few loyalty programs myself. I am glad to see that so many people see the benefits of the programs the way you do!

Thanks. The cost is not that great but for us it works.  We eat a lot!!!!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Another great example of this is membership at Costco.  We love shopping there, have the executive plan membership, and figure the 2-3% cash back we receive yearly, seemingly covers the cost of the membership…..  nonetheless, we love the experience.

Absolutely.  We have a business account with COSTCO as well and that 4% back on any gasoline purchase is wonderful, especially with a premium loving car and over four dollar gasoline!  We save lots of green by using that Green AMEX!!!!

hkflashman Platinum 6 Reviews

I am a member of one private club in Macau, which gives a lot of benefits in the club and resort. That is the only one I would like to pay for...

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I Would certainly pay a small amount to join a loyalty club if it produced a clear benefit that I could easily utilise. For instance I did consider joining IHG Ambassador as I had a few Intercontinental stays coming up and Ambassador membership comes with an annual certificate for a BOGOF. Redeeming the certificate alone would more than cover the joining cost, and I'd see the stay benefits which for IHG Ambassador are pretty good. I eventually decided against it as the contract fell through...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...