5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2009 12:59 AM by anadyr RSS

Cost of motels increasong

hammertime Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated
Is everyone noticing that the cost of motels has outstriped the cost of living?  Hard to find the under $100.00 room anymore.
  • Re: Cost of motels increasong
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Right on!  A person really has to "Shop" the web site and use their AAA or whatever to save and find a room under $100.

I travel the mid-west the most and it amazes me at the prices.  My best bet is the Fairfield's which are safe, clean and friendly.  Good luck! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

dwaneclif Platinum
    I agree. I stay at the Fairfield Inn's mostly because they are most likely to deal and I have received rooms for under $100.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Best hotel for under $100 per night?

Try the Ren. in Syracuse, NY., What a deal at well under $100 per night. 

• Re: Cost of motels increasing
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Marriott is in a Catch22.  For Q4 2008 Marriott reported a $10M loss (WSJ 2/12/09).  Marriott forecasted decreased RevPAR (Revenue Per Available Room) by 3-5% in North America, but the decrease soared to 8.4%  

During Q1 2009 you could still find rooms in Cat 1-4 under $100 as well as Pointsavers. In the coming week in New England, for example, there are 10 properties in Massachusetts with rooms listed at AAA rates of $80 to 99 including a Courtyard, South Boston.  Connecticut and Rhode Island have 4 properties each with rooms at Standard rates of $69 to 99, AAA rates are actually higher.  State by state, room availability under $100 is running about 25 to 30% of the number of properties in the state.

As Q1 2009 comes to a close, let's be optimistic and hope that the ratio stays the same or better yet improves.  Lower room rates will stimulate more travelling*, more meetings and more leisure road trips which is better than less.

* Postscript (3/29):  See AAA Three Day Getaways 

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

The problem is that the hotels need to make a profit or they themselves close. When there were plenty of people willing to pay the going rate, the availability of discounts was low.  With declining nights, most chains fear an avalanche of cost-cutting and room rate reductions will hurt them in the short-, and mid-term.

Discounts are self-defeating unless they garner new business.  I fear that cuts will occur in service first, and rooms last.  But cut-rate rooms might not be what you want to stay in.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...