19 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2014 3:58 PM by shoeman1000 RSS

The MRI TMI Effect

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

OK call me cranky, call me prescient, call me a rumor monger, but I am suffering from MRI TMI! 

I was blissfully happy when I only knew that I was going to stay at a Marriott hotel.  Like Plato's recounting the The Republic, when he mentions his allegory of the cave, the shadows were what I saw and I drew my own conclusions.

Now I see all these hints from MR personnel of the Marriott inner sanctum and I for one am getting the TMI syndrome.  Like anything: peanut butter-filled pretzels for example, it is not how they do it (I'm guessing that it is an alien technology reverse engineered) or Velcro, the fact that it is exists is paramount.  How it came to be is none of my business.

Bottom line for me is that I continue to make reservations, pay for the stays I make, and find that I need less information on what and why went into the corporation itself.  Just give me a room at a fair price.

Just my take, and that's the truth.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: The MRI TMI Effect
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Amen!

It's nice to get asked our thoughts about policies once in a while, but I agree, we don't need all the details of what might have been considered and why. That is better left unsaid.

We all chose to be MR members. We stay loyal as long as it makes sense to us. We hope our concerns get heard and that the company doesn't abandon us while trying to chase the next demographic.

I'm earning points and certs, using a few now and then, and generally enjoying my stays. As a value-conscious traveler, I'll never be one of the top spenders, but I keep choosing Marriott. I'd like to think that's what any company wants in a loyal customer

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Amen bejacob,

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

anadyr

Rumor mongering aside, what are you talking about?  are you receiving 'hints' that I am not getting?  I honestly don't now what you are referring to, but it seems to be aggravating you and i would love to know what it is.

I'll speak slowly so that you can get my meaning: I do not want to know as muh as I currently do from a corporation unless I am a major stockholder.  The quality of a corporation is defined by the service or product it provides, and in a free market, I can choose to buy it or not. I do not need or want to know what the decision making process is that leads to a decision (contest rules being one), only what the decision is.

erc Platinum
        As a minor shareholder (with major importance to me) I certainly wasn't overloaded with info when Marriott explained why they took so long to squelch a rumor started on Insiders that Marriott knew to be definitively wrong and could have ended in one easy post (like Andy's posting of the United/Marriott extension). And I along with you, certainly wasn't annoyed by nuhusker receiving an explanation about his Surprise Party nomination (and, like you and most others, don't care diddly squat about the rules or the "lawyering up" behind it).
        To each their own, but quite frankly I would much prefer to hear more of Marriott's insights than; participate any more in "What benefits would you love to have (in this era of declining benefits)?" or suggestions from Insiders, that from repeated experiences, know the response is going to be a throwaway, "we hear you, we value your input, and we'll be sure to pass it along to the team",  or the all time favorite, "Marriott better not or I'm leaving" or answer for the umpteenth time questions posed by newcomers, who, nine out of ten times don't even take the courtesy to acknowledge receipt, such as, "Does award travel count toward my elite status?", "Is my free birthday night at any hotel?" or "Why can't we add points to these certificates, they're worthless?"
        You want to talk cranky, you've come to the right place fellas.

erc Platinum

Yes, please share the TMI you and bejacob have received that has made you cranky

thanks erc, I thought maybe I wasn't seeing something very obvious…...

Dear shoeman, please disregard my post. I got it but no one else has to.

I hate it when that happens...

Me too.

That is proprietary information ERC, like the number of people currently paying for recently signing up for healthcare

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Let me add another amen.  As usual well said, anadyr, including your comment on peanut butter filled pretzels which are a staple in my diet.

That and double stuffed Oreos

The rumor mill that was running rampant last week did suggest that leaks were coming from inside the decision-making process. For all I know that may have been another rumor. It was however somewhat disturbing if true.

I don't know the source of the rumors posted across the internet. It's possible they were made up from whole cloth. Or it might be that someone did pass along info they shouldn't have. Regardless, we got a lot of supposedly reliable information that turned out to be complete hogwash. That I could do without. (End of rant).

Time to research a couple more category 5s that are moving up and book my stay now.

erc Platinum

The source of the rumor was takingthehighroad quoting a Marriott affiliated source (I don't know if it was an employee or an independent operator of Marriott and I respect tthr's protection of his source). He posted on March 11th on Insiders and it ran for two days before being transferred over to FlyerTalk, LoyaltyTraveler, and BoardingBlog.

I'm no conspiracy theory proponent, but either Marriott wanted to watch reaction or IMO, they really dropped the ball in allowing this to take root. I can't decide whether it was coincidence or the final straw, but Marriott did not respond until it was mentioned the 13th on Facebook.

Excellent points. Whatever happened, it wasn't handled well.

wow.  so hopefully we can all agree to end this thread and move forward…………..

hkflashman Platinum 6 Reviews

I do not even understand this thread. And the Indian guy in the lounge is talking on his phone too loud good cheese burger though...

hkflashman

turns out it was a private joke. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...