5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2014 7:57 AM by shoeman1000 RSS

Send your Robot to those boring meetings and stay home

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

There is a new $70,000 gizmo made by i-Robot, called the AVA 500. 

According to press releases, "The robot has an automated navigation system and a 21.5-inch LCD screen so it can move around while transmitting a video of your face. Powerful microphones and cameras pick up and transmit surrounding audio and video back to you. Channeling oneself through the robot requires no more than an iPad Mini. Open the app, select a meeting room or a location on the map and the robot will find its way there and get started."

No word on whether the AVA 500 will be allowed Concierge Lounge Access, since it technically is NOT a member of Marriott Rewards (unless there is a parallel universe for Droids out there we do not know about).  And they could easily prevent tailgating into the Lounge given their impressive size. And they can do that mobil checkin like nobody's business, since they're a walking smart device.

I've ordered mine, have you?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Send your Robot to those boring meetings and stay home
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

As long as the AVA 500 books a room on the CL then they will be in the lounge!!!!   I'm not ordering mine just yet, I want to wait until it can also complete Mobile Checkout!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

I have joked more than once that the title on my business card should be changed to "Meeting Attendee". I get tired of al the meetings.

Having said that, this robot thing is going to fail, just like Go To Meeting or sites like that. There are things that you can accomplish with the personal interaction that you're just not going to get with a TV screen or a computer screen. I can often accomplish more in 5 minutes during a break with the right person than in 2 hours sitting and talking and talking and talking.

No robots for me, thanks.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

John

so well put for those of us that understand human relationships and the art of the deal.  whether it's business, politics (imagine sending robots to the negotiating table), or any number of other situations, robots simply won't cut it……….  It's a fun fantasy world, who didn't love the cartoon 'Jetsons"?  But not doable in the real world.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

The personal interaction and human relationships that shoeman and john_thai mention is one of the downsides to Mobile Check-in IMO.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Hi Jakeal

I have now used mobile checkin twice.  On both occasions, the only difference I experienced was a pre-prepared key envelope and no need to go through the usual 5 questions from the desk clerk.  I still received a warm welcome.  So for me, mobile check-in was a good thing with no down side. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...