4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2014 4:49 AM by brightlybob RSS

Points reduction for non us stays

mobilepete Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Marriott rewards has historically converted spend for non US stays net of local taxes into US$ for base points at a fair exchange rate. This policy seems to be changing. My recent stay at the autograph threadneedles hotel in London had a net of local taxes total of GB£1227.75 which apparently is US$1686. An exchange rate of £1=$1.37. I've spoken to Marriott rerwards service centre who confirm that GB£1227.75 is the net folio amount posted and the exchange rate is automatically generated. This is a 20% rip-off. Is it just the threadneedles or has anyone else noticed if this new is a new approach? 6/7 years ago when I had a Hilton diamond membership I noticed a similar rip-off which is why I abandoned Hilton for Marriott!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom Autograph Collection
  • Re: Points reduction for non us stays
    tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I live in the UK and use Marriott Hotels here.  I cannot understand what has happened to your points for this stay.  My stays are always converted to US $ for Rewards points purposes, and I have never had a problem such as you have experienced.  I always take my payment net of taxes, multiply it by a notional exchange rate of 1.5, then multiply by 10.  When I check my Rewards Account, it varies very little.  For instance, last October in York  the exchange rate was 1.507, and in December at West India Quay it was 1.543.  I think there is a mistake somewhere with your points.

I am not doubting anyone of course, but are you sure the £1227 did not include tax?  Value Added Tax in the UK is 20%, and if that is deducted from £1227 the resulting dollar calculation would be about right given the current exchange rate.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mobilepete Platinum

Thanks Tommo -  the net amount was def £1227 - i also thought VAT may have been taken off this amount by mistake - spoke to MR service centre and was assured the net folio was shown as £1227. Just had a credit from a stay in Meon Valley and a reasonable $:£ exchange rate used for that - so just Threadneedles. Maybe the hotel has been coded as euros which is also about ra 20% point haircut. I'm staying in the St Ermins this week so will see if both UK Autograph Hotels have the same issue

hkflashman Platinum 6 Reviews

I live in Asia and 99% of my experience is across the region. I have never detected an unfair conversion. Believe it is just market,credit card rates to USD and then time 15 to get the points. seems fair and consistent. Once i did not get my welcome points credited though, but got it fixed....

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

having stayed over 400 nights in Marriott's and never actually in a US Marriott, the exchange rate is always something to watch as Marriott does have an unpleasant point-shorting habit, which I find occurs 3 or 4 times a year.

RIng MR and point out that £1277 spending should produce about 20,000 base points, that's how I do it when I suffer point shorting issues. CS is generally pretty speedy at correcting the issue...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...