Sorry Sigmund, I could not resist borrowing. Please put out your cigar and let's talk. As you said, our possibilities of happiness are restricted by the law, which in this case might be revenue enhancing fees.
Here is a list complied by me of fees that could be imposed:
11. Asking for an upgrade at check-in: $50
12. Calling the Front Desk to tell them the toilet in broken: $25
13. Leaving trash in your trash can after you've checked out: $20
14. Talking to the Concierge without an appointment: $25 and loss of one elite night
15. Requesting NOT to pay a resort fee: $100 plus resort fee
16. Using public transportation to avoid parking fee: $30 plus parking fee
17. Cancelling a reservation, any kind of reservation: $$ amount equal to one night room rate
And this one is for erc:
18. Making more than one waffle at SHS: $10 and banned from SHS, must stay at CY
Oops, I missed this little ditty on my first pass. Believe me bub, as I wrote in my magnum opus, Waffles, Why Not?, starting with the Mrs., I've got gameplans for bartering for everyone's allocated waffle. If Bitcoin can have a value structure, then so can erc's handmade sausage/egg/english muffin (a 1 for 1 swap for a waffle, I throw in the cheese free).
21. Taking the elevator (from the 11th floor) to the first floor to inform the front desk that the room telephone does not work: $20
22. Asking for an extra bottle of shampoo or conditioner: $5 (dirty looks from housekeeping: complimentary)
23. Trading a decaf single coffee packet for a regular single coffee packet: $5
I have greatly enjoyed this exchange. But I note that the official line is that "this question has not been answered". I wonder what ( or who) would determine the basis of an adequate answer? I trust your superego is ii good working order.
And I'd add to the list:
X) Requesting another glass of red in the CL. Ten guineas.
Asking for early check-in: $50 plus cost of one additional night and loss of CL privilege for stay (NO SOUP FOR YOU)
Asking for late check-out: $100 plus cost of one additional night and loss of upgrade opportunity for next 30 stays
Asking for early check-in and late check-out on same stay: Priceless because all your MR Rewards points were just forfeited.
Demonstrating they're not that far fetched, here's a few currently for real that I have stumbled upon that come and go based upon demand;
1) A charge for SpringHills and Res Inns that have a sofabed
2) A charge for higher floor
3) A charge for water view (not beach or ocean front, but a sliver of a view, makes you wonder what you're in otherwise)
4) Different rates for different city views (apparently gradations of how much city)
5) Higher charge for PURE allergy friendly room
6) I've seen increased charges up to $50 more for Executive vs. Deluxe - both had same square footage and of course my favorite, The Marriott Rewards Offer $50 to $80 more than the Standard Rate - apples to apples, EXACT same room - but I digress, this is real, back to potential coming soons to a hotel near you;
1) 2 pillows per room - $10 extra per pillow
2) $10 charge for using our Advance Pay discount option
3) $5 restocking charge for any item used/moved - pen, pad, laundry bag, coffee, shower cap, towel etc
4) $5 charge per 10 sq. feet above the standard 330 sq. ft room - $5 per electrical outlet over 4
5) $5 charge for check in during 'peak' (as defined by The Man) times. $10 for off hour check in
6) Charge for pool or fitness room admission and don't you dare think that water is free (deluxe admission)
7) Cozy, classic, standard, deluxe, superior, executive, premier - you pick the room, we'll tell you the rate, and you'll like it!