22 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2014 11:43 AM by anadyr RSS

Fees and their Discontents?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Sorry Sigmund, I could not resist borrowing. Please put out your cigar and let's talk.  As you said, our possibilities of happiness are restricted by the law, which in this case might be revenue enhancing fees.

Here is a list complied by me of fees that could be imposed:

1. Talking to an Associate at check in rather than using mobile check-in:  ten bucks
  2. Smiling to a housekeeper:  five dollars
  3. Requesting a wake up call: Another fiver
  4. Taking too long in the shower:  Ten Samolians.
  5. Leaving your delivered newspaper at your doorstep and not picking it up when leaving:  A dollar
  6. Forgetting to turn off your TV when leaving the room: Ten smackers
  7. Having your patio door or slider open and heat/AC on at the same time:  Twenty bucks
  8. Using the WiFi to book a room at another hotel chain:  A Benjamin!
  9. Not holding the door open for a Concierge Lounge guest:  Five bucks, and
  10. Not complying with all stated and unstated rules regarding fees:  A saw buck (added to the other fees above)

Any more?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Fees and their Discontents?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

11.  Asking for an upgrade at check-in:   $50

12.  Calling the Front Desk to tell them the toilet in broken:  $25

13.  Leaving trash in your trash can after you've checked out:  $20

14.  Talking to the Concierge without an appointment:  $25 and loss of one elite night

15.  Requesting NOT to pay a resort fee:  $100 plus resort fee

16.  Using public transportation to avoid parking fee:  $30 plus parking fee

17.  Cancelling a reservation, any kind of reservation:  $$ amount equal to one night room rate

And this one is for erc:

18.  Making more than one waffle at SHS:  $10 and banned from SHS, must stay at CY

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Great ones:

Here are two more to make an even 20

19.  Keeping your Marriott Rewards Account active by making stays that are posted to the account:  $15

20.  Having an associate notice that you have a bag tag from a rival lodging chain:  20 dollars.

erc Platinum

Oops, I missed this little ditty on my first pass. Believe me bub, as I wrote in my magnum opus, Waffles, Why Not?, starting with the Mrs., I've got gameplans for bartering for everyone's allocated waffle. If Bitcoin can have a value structure, then so can erc's handmade sausage/egg/english muffin (a 1 for 1 swap for a waffle, I throw in the cheese free).

LOL, you should have golden arches over your shoulders with that morsel of goodness!!!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

21.  Taking the elevator (from the 11th floor) to the first floor to inform the front desk that the room telephone does not work:  $20

22.  Asking for an extra bottle of shampoo or conditioner: $5 (dirty looks from housekeeping:  complimentary)

23.  Trading a decaf single coffee packet for a regular single coffee packet:  $5

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

24. Customizing your profile to request extra and/or feather free pillows: $10

25. Asking the Bistro attendant at CY for directions to the nearest restaurant: $25

So true

Well done

These are awesome......maybe joshm and community manager have some!

We would have to pay to see them!

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Dear A,

I have greatly enjoyed this exchange. But I note that the official line is that "this question has not been answered". I wonder what ( or who) would determine the basis of an adequate answer? I trust your superego is ii good working order.

And I'd add to the list:

X) Requesting another glass of red in the CL. Ten guineas.

A

Well said Sir.  I suppose once we get to one hundred or so we can see which answer makes the most sense.

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

Before I was loyal to Marriott I stayed at a hotel in NYC that charged you if you touched anything on the bar in the room. You didn't have to eat or open it to be charged...just touch it!!!  We learned the hard way.  I would hope Marriott would never do that!!

Yes that would be too bad. Fairmont assumes a raiding of the minibar and for it's more loyal costumers, charges nothing.  Would that all hotels felt that way?

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Asking for early check-in: $50 plus cost of one additional night and loss of CL privilege for stay (NO SOUP FOR YOU)

Asking for late check-out: $100 plus cost of one additional night and loss of upgrade opportunity for next 30 stays

Asking for early check-in and late check-out on same stay: Priceless because all your MR Rewards points were just forfeited.

blava007 Platinum

anadyr, IAHFLYR, pluto77

I have been MRI member for many years, but without any questions this is one of the funniest thing I read in a long time. 

Add some of your own--it's not that far fetched!

erc Platinum

Demonstrating they're not that far fetched, here's a few currently for real that I have stumbled upon that come and go based upon demand;

1) A charge for SpringHills and Res Inns that have a sofabed

2) A charge for higher floor

3) A charge for water view (not beach or ocean front, but a sliver of a view, makes you wonder what you're in otherwise)

4) Different rates for different city views (apparently gradations of how much city)

5) Higher charge for PURE allergy friendly room

6) I've seen increased charges up to $50 more for Executive vs. Deluxe - both had same square footage and of course my favorite, The Marriott Rewards Offer $50 to $80 more than the Standard Rate - apples to apples, EXACT same room - but I digress, this is real, back to potential coming soons to a hotel near you;

1) 2 pillows per room - $10 extra per pillow

2) $10 charge for using our Advance Pay discount option

3) $5 restocking charge for any item used/moved - pen, pad, laundry bag, coffee, shower cap, towel etc

4) $5 charge per 10 sq. feet above the standard 330 sq. ft room - $5 per electrical outlet over 4

5) $5 charge for check in during 'peak' (as defined by The Man) times. $10 for off hour check in

6) Charge for pool or fitness room admission and don't you dare think that water is free (deluxe admission)

7) Cozy, classic, standard, deluxe, superior, executive, premier - you pick the room, we'll tell you the rate, and you'll like it!

Shhhh, we don't want to give them ideas!

madmax Gold 7 Reviews
    • opening mouth to say anything but thank you sir/maam...$100
    • request for housekeeping to clean room when hairballs found on bathroom floor and in bathtub...$50 service charge
    • asking for removal of naked Chinese man in room...extra day's rate
    • asking to have questionable leather/iron items removed from dresser drawers in room...sirens wailing and police removal from property

erc Platinum

Asking for extension of naked Chinese man in room with leather/iron items...two extra day's rate

Asking that the pony be removed:  Priceless (PS that happened at the Lodge at Pebble Beach--a guest requested a minature pony for his room, not sure if he was 'horsing around' or not

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...