34 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2014 4:38 PM by anadyr RSS

Fees...Hidden in plain view

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Scott McCartney, writer of The Middle Seat reports that

"Last year hotels took in an estimated $2.1 billion in fees, according to New York University's Tisch Center for Hospitality, Tourism and Sports Management. That's up 6% over 2012, says Tisch Center head Bjorn Hanson, because of new add-ons, higher prices and slightly higher hotel occupancy."

"Among the latest new fees: parking charges at suburban and airport hotels with open, unattended lots .At Las Vegas and some other resort destinations, some hotels have imposed early check-in fees for customers who arrive before the designated late-afternoon check-in time and want to use their room, assuming it's available. Caesars Palace charges $25 or more for early check-in, warning customers only when they list an expected arrival time on the hotel's website. Caesars declined to comment."

"In the last 18 months, some high-end MGM properties like Aria and Bellagio have started offering a guaranteed early check-in option to customers at $20 or $30. At Aria, another $30 fee gets you express check-in with no line waiting, and another $30 fee lets you pick three room preferences, such as high floor or low floor, near an elevator, smoking or connecting to another room."

Alas poor hospitality, I knew him well!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Fees...Hidden in plain view
    paulaw Member

Aah, a well-timed post anadyr - thank you.

I am booking into a Marriott near Gatwick as I have a work course and Marriott is my choice of wind-down steak and red at the end of the day BUT - and this is where I thank you for the post - before I book I will make sure that parking for guests is free as, being near an airport, one can never be sure.

Cheers.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

The excuse I have often heard from GMs is that the parking lot is managed by another company, hence the fee to pay for the privilege to park!  At the Santa Clara Marriott (where I often spent 100 nights a year in days of yore) the lot was free, until it was not, was then free for me as a PP, then it was not.

Well nothing is forever is it? Certainly not free parking at unattended or even attended lots.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I think the Santa Clara Marriott was the first Marriott I ever stayed at around 30+ years ago

Yes it was built to be near the Great America Amusement Park once owned by Marriott.  And now it is within a few feet of the Levi's stadium, home of the almost champion San Francisco 49ers!

erc Platinum

paulaw

If you're at the CY London Gatwick airport parking is 25 GBP per day. As you probably know, if you want to check parking fees, click on the Maps and Transportation link on Marriott.com. Good luck and have a nice trip.

side note - the unattended lots, somewhat similar to the infamous Resort Fees, have a bit more negotiating opportunity since it's just pure add on (as opposed to attended lots or city properties).

paulaw Member

Well, call me easily charmed but I've booked my beloved Marriott - even with the £25 parking fee.  Trust me when I say I had a good moan about the fact that it therefore costs £105 per night if you take a car but I said I'd take my objections to the Insiders' forum and not rattle on to Deborah, who took my booking with grace and politeness - thank you Deborah.

All I can say is - Bill, you'd better treat me like the royalty you usually do at that price xx

erc Platinum

Well, as we all know, attitude goes a long ways toward a good experience and you have a terrific attitude, so I'm sure you'll have an enjoyable time.

You can see why many of us who are staying a week at a spot like that (>$40USD per night) use the Hertz rental car on site and only use a car for a day or two (and even then, turning it in and re-renting or cutting a deal with Hertz to use their spots), rather than eating a week's worth of parking.

I'm sure Ol' Uncle Billy will treat you fine and you'll have a nice value, net/net.

paulaw Member

Hi erc, what a truly nice thing to say about my attitude.  It comes from losing everything materially, discovering that when that happens a) the sun still comes up in the morning and b) sense of humour never fails to make things better and now I am back with lifestyle that brings me the occassional luxury - which I now appreciate far more than before - and knowing when I look out of the window and see blossom on the trees, I am honoured and happy to be alive.  Does that make sense? And sorry if its rather cliche and twee but really, a spell of very bad luck makes you stronger xx

erc Platinum

Absolutely, it makes sense. As the poet wrote, cliches become cliches because they are true. I would say over 95% of us have the fun and games we do on this site because of the reality of recognizing aren't we blessed to be discussing whether we are in a resort looking at the ocean or not - bottom line we're at the ocean resort!

Great stuff paulaw. Keep on keepin' on. Like I used to always tell my young ballplayers, "Great day to be alive".

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I guess the moral of this story is that we should be glad it took the Hospitality industry a few years to catch on top the BONANZA that the airlines hit on with all the added fees……. 

erc Platinum

Absolutely. That's why I appreciate the 5 for 4 nights points award, the Travel Package, the 6 pm day of cancellation, the ability to reserve award stays before having the balance, and the three month advance notice of hotel category increases paired with the 350 day booking opportunity (although more and more properties are filling in bogus $9,999 rates).

Note to Marriott, who knows all and reads all; please put these appreciative comments in my Permanent Record, thank you.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

It is March and we have not seen anything about category changes.  Has there been a notice that I missed?

erc Platinum

They are due out this week 3/18 - 22 according to the social media team.

Just heard that Amazon will reap some 340 million dollars per year by changing their prime membership fee "only" 20 dollars more!

erc Platinum

In a big down day for the market AMZN is up on this news. They raise the price on the anniversary date and as is the marketing technique, throw in some bones when announcing price increases

"Even as fuel and transportation costs have increased, the price of Prime has remained the same for nine years. Since 2005, the number of items eligible for unlimited free Two-Day Shipping has grown from one million to over 20 million. We also added unlimited access to over 40,000 movies and TV episodes with Prime Instant Video and a selection of over 500,000 books to borrow from the Kindle Owners' Lending Library".

Which brings me back to Marriott which continues to set records earnings and stock prices. The classic Marriott move reminds me of the famous college move asking for money, "Mom, I think I'm going to have to drop out of school, I got caught stealing and then punched a security guard because he called my pregnant girlfriend a name, I hope you understand how sorry I am, I didn't know I'd get caught because I was stoned. See you soon".

Love,

Junior

ps - I was just teasing about getting in trouble, school is fine and my grades are great. Could you send me $50?

Marriott is famous for (at least in my eyes)  two things: Giving you something with one hand, while taking something away with the other (weekend breakfasts/Plat welcome amenity) and letting it float around among hard core customers that the worse is coming; delivering the bad and taking credit for being consumer oriented.

Bring it on Marriott.  My name is Inigo Montoya.....

A famous song (1965) sung by Barry McGuire, formerly of the New Christy Minstrels, keeps running through my head

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

yeah but Amazon could raise it 100/yr and still lose money on folks like my family.  We live 45mins away from any big box stores so we try to ship everything we can via Prime with Amazon.  Being on Long Island, we get the advantage of the NJ warehouse for Amazon so most 2 day shipments really get here in a day.  Heck last year I bought an air compressor and nail guns.  Thing weighs in easily 50-60lbs and they shipped it 2day air.  That shipping alone paid the membership fee otherwise

We use their subscribe and save option on all kinds of household things and some stuff we can't get at the local or even semi-local (1hr drive one way) stores.  Nothing like saving money on bulkier items and just having them show up on schedule.  Not like you can ever have too much TP or paper towels in a house with kids LOL

I think the rub for them will be how many folks were using them purely for the streaming side of the house.  They might see some decline there but perhaps not.  Their content is improving and usually if Netflix doesn't have it, Amazon does and vice versa.  Should be interesting to see how it shakes out but I know we will be renewing ours.

Platinum 28 Reviews

anadyr

Been a "Prime" member from day one and the extra 20 bucks (to me) is worth it. 

Still a great bargain with the free shipping and videos (which my family watches as much as Netflix).

I also will likely fall under the Amazon spell since my books are part of the vast Bezos empire

Me too misterck.

One other bennie when I am in a hurry is to use the one day for $3.95

Yep so true

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I was thinking the same thing. It worked for the airlines so it's no surprise hotel chains are jumping on that cash train. Now we'll all have to look for ways to avoid as many of the fees as we can.

maybe fuel charges will be next

walksoftly Gold 4 Reviews

Only when the weather is too cold or too warm and there is a need for heating or air conditioning...

Never happens on the West Coast does it?

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Please don't give Marriott the idea.  They might charge us for heat and AC.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I agree, there's a lot more fees out there these days.  I would hate to be joe consumer or trying to start a small business that required a lot of travel.  Those folks might have a tough go of it for a bit with the fee structure emerging in some places.  For most of us, we just bill it along to the customers so while fees rise we don't notice as much.  I've found most of the fees that are "add on" type stuff, even parking, I am comped for at a lot of properties.  I even had a fairly large parking bill comped at a property in northern Europe once due to my PP status. 

I think as long as they property managers are willing to work with folks on things that are a bit silly (early check in fees for example) things will continue along as close to normal as we can expect.  Airlines have a bit more of a flux in overhead that hotels don't or shouldn't so hopefully the mainstream, non-resort properties can shy away from silly fees and make their money by providing a level of service/experience/room that warrants a higher nightly rate.

Very true Zukracer

superchief1 Platinum

State and local taxes are another issue driving up travel expenses, and these are also applied to the 'fees'. In many locations, the combined taxes are over 20%, similar to rental cars. These taxes are becoming a key generator of local tax revenue, and the people who have to pay don't get to vote.

you are right and most sports stadiums and convention centers are paid for in this way

superchief1 Platinum

My biggest pet peeve are resort fees or charges to use hotel fitness facilities. Room costs are already higher at most resorts and why should anyone pay to use the pools and facilities? To add insult to injury, there are really no platinum benefits at resorts, so I try to avoid these properties. Fortunately, I own timeshares that are my 'resorts'.

paulaw Member

I think we are experts at the hidden fee hunt in the UK.  The concept started a while back now with Mr O'Leary and his operating of Ryanair, a Dublin based airline which is very popluar with UK travellers.  He was the original 'flight for 99p' man - with hidden extras of course.  We have the benefit of years of teaching by Mr O'Leary but no matter how unpopular he is (he can be rather rude) his airlines continue to fly with full planes as, if you can get by with minimal luggage (some people wear multiple layers of clothes when they fly with Ryanair), you can indeed still get a cheap and cheerful flight.  He can't lose but I wouldn't choose to put my loyalty with him as he has been known to be contemptuous of his customers and that is unforgiveable.

Dear paulaw, you raise an interesting point here, which bears repeating so thank you.  It is clear that some fees, baked in or not, are bottom line generators, and nowhere is this more evident than in the very cheap transport markets.  One exception is here in the colonies called MegaBus, a company that plies the highways and byways between major US and some Canadian cities.  I recently purchased a one way ticket from NYC to Boston for three dollars a person!  Total cost for two of us with service charge is $7.50 (4.52 pounds sterling), and that is it. The buses have WiFi, are comfortable, safe and so cheap it is hard to believe that they can operate for this little. The tolls between those cities is more by far than the cost.

But MegaBus is the exception. Cheap types like Ryanair and our own Alegiant Airlines are cheap if you never do anything out of the unusual.

Roger

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...