29 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2014 12:32 PM by anadyr RSS

Check Possible Room Upgrade Before Check-In

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Another find of Loyalty Lobby today may give us an idea if we are upgraded prior to check-in and may be well worth the screen shot.

Reminder To Check Hotel Room Upgrades Before Checking In (And Sometimes Better Take A Screenshot) | LoyaltyLobby

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Check Possible Room Upgrade Before Check-In
    erc Platinum

This is good advice in general, to memorialize the terms of your stay. I work hard to snuff out the deals and when I get a rate I like I immediately print it (old school granted, but the concept is the same). I have had four examples in the past 20 months where the terms of the Park and Fly, Bonus Points offered, and even bed type changed from my original deal (meaning the reservation on my Marriott profile months later, was different that the reservation I copied on the day I made it, never the rate itself though) and I needed to revise back to the original deal at check in with my copy. It might have been a loss otherwise.

I've also moved toward jerrycoin's concept of checking out the room, and if a major flaw (like looking at a wall when half the building looks at a river) exists, going back down and spinning the wheel again.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

erc & IAHFLYR,

One other thing that I have found out that works:

Be "Pleasant" at "Check-in" with the people checking you in!  Let them know you are an MRI member and loyal customer of Marriott.  Likewise, tell them why this particular stay is so important to the "Loved one or ones" with you and that you would appreciate a memorable room.

When I travel alone, my room is not "That big of a deal", but when you do travel with loved ones, they look to you to provide a "Comfortable time". 

In short, "Sincerity" works while checking in!  Leave your luggage with the Concierge or Doorman, check the room out, if it's NOT what you want, it's a lot easier to ask for an alternative room!

erc Platinum

As usual, great stuff jerry. And as I've learned, once you can fake sincerity, you've got it made .

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

@erc,

NO!

I know you are joking, but you don't have to "Fake" it!

Everything you say at "Checking in" is the truth.  One is "Very Sincere" about getting the best room you can for the week.  I also find the "More experience" the person checking you in, is better at "Understanding and appreciating" your desire for a "Quality room".  Therefore, you are more likely to get an "Upgraded" room from them.

jerrycoin,

How often do you tell the person checking you in that you're an MRI member and they actually know what you're speaking of?  I was very surprised at the JW Galleria that not one of their front desk associates knew of MRI, and at Fisherman's Wharf the exact same thing.  But I continue to toss those words out and see if I get the blank stare in return!

So does anyone actually know how an upgrade is issued?

Is it first checked in and if so maybe it does pay to use the mobile check-in?

Or, is it as this article suggests and is done by some midnight shift associate and what criteria are they to use to issue an upgrade to Platinum A as opposed to Platinum B?

Or, does it go by the room and rate booked by Platinum B which is higher than the rate Platinum A booked so B gets the upgrade?

All these curious questions and I know someone can tell us the answer.

How bout it NathalieF, ansaa, The specified item was not found. or merb, how does it work or is that corporate knowledge? (erc bet you didn't even know I knew that phrase )

vickisocal Platinum

I've known this for years (upgrades being visible in advance). We've also been very disappointed when the upgrade that was on our room details was not honored when we arrived at the hotel. 2 years ago we went to the Sydney Marriott for our 20th wedding anniversary. I put a nice note in our response to virtual concierge saying it was our anniversary, long time plat, blah, blah, blah. We were in Auckland 2 days before arrival and were excited to see an upgrade to a larger room and a opera house view on the concierge level when we checked the reservation. Got to the hotel, go up to our room, it is *tiny* has a sliver of a bridge view. Call the front desk and they say we received a one category upgrade. Escalated to a front desk supervisor who said we were never upgraded and they would never give that level of an upgrade on a awards reservation. Absolutely refused to believe it was something we got or could have seen in advance. Did not move our room. I'm not sure a screen shot would have convinced her.

ericnj Platinum 1 Reviews

I call the property ahead of time to ask to be placed on the "Concierge Floor". So, now I have eyes on my reservation and account a day or two before I arrive. Hopefully, they will see my lifetime Platinum status and will flag me.

Now, about getting upgrades or something special. It is really all about sales. If you are not a shmoozer than I dont know what else to tell you. Arrive with a smile and look for someone standing behind the desk who appears to have a position of authority. When they ask how you are, let them know how hard your day has been, how tired you are and how glad you are to finally be at their property. If there is a fee for parking, dont be afraid to ask "is there really a charge for parking?". Often they will waive it for you. Ask to be on the same floor as the lounge. They may only have a suite or some upgrade room available there and you may find yourself in it. Ask about good restaurants in the area and they may give you something like a coupon if you stay and eat at the hotel.

If you notice, I am not specifically asking for free parking, an upgraded room or discounted meals. You are just baiting the hook.

Oh I have the shmozer down and always contact the Front Desk Manager soon after making a reservation when we are going to desire out "normal" room at a few select properties we stay often.  If that bears no fruit the "Ultimate Shmozer" will call a few days later and SHE gets her way.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I always flash a toothy smile and mention that I know a lot of Insiders--that works every time. When I was an Ambassador I would mention causing forced smiles by associates. The pitiable kind of smiles.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...