24 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2014 4:18 PM by anadyr RSS

Four Dollar Wednesday?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Here in the land of plenty (of taxes), aka California, we've just about nudging the four dollar mark for a gallon of regular unleaded gasoline (again).  Like those Marriott Rewards points that seem to have less value, so our driving around does too.

I checked on the real cost of driving my Tesla, and found that it costs about a dollar a gallon to charge at home (equivalent cost of electricity) and takes about three hours for a full charge. Charging stations, which are as numerous as carrier pigeons, might add a surcharge, like the one that is never used at the Walgreen  Pharmacy (at the corner of grumpy and costly) around the corner.

And if your Volt or Tesla ignites, then well, you get the picture. That's why we have insurance.right?

So question of the day:  what are you paying for regular gas a gallon these days?  I realize that we are getting the highest dollar per gallon cost and I want to feel good for me and bad for you all?

Wait, I only have a few hours until the Tesla S is again ready to go a couple hundred miles, if I am careful.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Four Dollar Wednesday?
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Prices in central Ohio are right around $3.50 a gallon, down from last week , but a little higher than two weeks ago.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Prices jumped 25 cents overnight. $4.00 doesn't seem quite as far away this morning.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

In Northeast Georgia, we're paying about $3.25 to $3.30 per gallon for regular unleaded. Lady Foxglove's clean diesel is $3.85 to $4.09 per gallon. But she gets 40+ mpg around town, so it's pretty economical in the long run. When I'm driving her turbo diesel, fuggedaboudit!  (I'm pretty certain her car suffers from split personality disorder, with borderline schizoid accelerative tendencies.)

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

USA National Gas Price Heat Map - GasBuddy.com

looks like you and a few Mainers are in the highest according to gasbuddy. We usually stay under national average in OK

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Down here in The Woodlands some 35 miles north of downtown Houston I saw a sign yesterday that was $3.23 for 87 octane.  I then went across the interstate on a top secret mission later in the day to where I normally fill up my 16 gallon tank and found it for $3.09. 

Being fortunate and not having to drive my car much more than 8 miles round trip to do just about anything we want with most trips being 3 miles round trip to the golf course I don't fill up often.  In fact averaging some 330 miles/month I probably get fuel every six weeks if I've been in town that entire time.

It's crazy I am saving more money being retired and not paying toll fees, buying gas every 10 days, less auto insurance and no union dues than I did working!! 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

$3.759 in Central CA yesterday.  Last month, my husband put a deposit on one of these...

IMAG2257.jpg

I really don't see myself in one (though I did sit in this one on display in San Francisco last September; my cousin is sitting here in the photo), but at 84/mpg, and at a cost less than a motorcycle, perhaps maybe.  Strangely, husband was out of state when I met up with cousin in SF, and I completely forgot to tell him about these later.  Then out of the clear blue last month, I come home from work and am met with, "Guess what I did today, dear?"  

(Whispering) Honestly, I think it's just an excuse for him to buy another toy with a combustible engine.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

I just paid $3.559/gallon for 89 octane (the HEMI engine requires it).  Your question reminded me of waiting in line for gas in 1974.  I would be sitting in the back seat of my mother's car (a huge aqua blue Oldsmobile), wondering if there would ever be an engine that would run on air so that I wouldn't be getting sick in the back seat anymore!

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

since we are reminiscing Sledchick, I remember first driving at 16 and waiting in line at the station during a gas war where gas was temporarily 18¢ a gallon. I think it was regularly about 22¢ if I recall. Should have been somewhere around 68' or 69'. How about you all out there that are just slightly older than me? What can you remember as lowest gas price during your driving years?

madmax I believe I'm ever-so-slightly your junior (he said tactfully), but I remember in 1972, my father let me take his 1970 Olds Delta 88 out of town for a day-long school-related conference I was attending in Augusta. He was afraid my old beater ( a really used '62 Pontiac Tempest) wouldn't make it. Gas prices were around 30 to 35 cents a gallon. I had a part-time job, and I could normally fill up my car for under six bucks. That afternoon, on the way home, I thought, "I'll show my appreciation to Dad by filling up his car." So I said the the attendant -- an attendant -- "Fill 'er up." When I looked back and saw the pump had reached $8.00 , I leaned out the window and shouted, "That's enough!"

Oh, to fill up for eight bucks again! Those prices didn't last long, though, as 1973 ushered in the OPEC oil embargo -- and the nationwide 55 mph speed limit.

They're finally raising the speed limit on the I-285 loop around Atlanta to 65 mph. Nobody went 55 anyway because you were sure to die if you did. And 65 mph will still be risky. Sammy Hagar had it right!

We've actually had the speed limit of 65 on our soon to be called middle loop, Beltway 8, but last time I was on it doing 65 I thought I was backing up.  Some call it our "daily NASCAR race", it's insane how fast four lanes of traffic will be going all the time weaving in and out of the lanes.

We have suggested speeds out here in CA.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Why not visit us here in England and enjoy our $8 gallon gas, if you can find it so cheap, that is! The $9 gallon is alas not such a rare find in these parts now!

EEeeeehhhh, I remember the $4 gallon (the 65p litre)... Happy days!

Whew!

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

Just paid $3.65 the other day in Rochester, NY.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Gas is currently going for $3.11 just across the northwest boundary of Austin.  I can still remember filling up my Camaro during the summer of 1970 for 12 cents a gallon in the Detroit area as a gas war raged..   Normally gas was in the 22 - 23 cents per gallon range.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Gas in Greenwich, Ct is over $4 a gallon…..

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Gas in Woodbridge, NJ is around $3.30 a gallon for regular and around $3.65 for Premium.

I remember buying gas at the Wawa's near ACY and the Tech Center, always had fairly good prices.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Yeah one of the very few benefits of living in NJ is the low tax on gas but when every other tax is very high and everything costs a lot it is truly a drop in the bucket!

Full serve too

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Unfortunately yes. I don't find it to be a good thing. I generally spend more time waiting for the attendant than if I just did it myself. I would gladly pump my own if I could.

I found that to be true in both OR and NJ, with a lot of time wasted. Another issue is that in MA. you cannot walk away from the self-serve pumps, they have removed the little holder thing that allows you to set the flow and leave, rather than smell all those fumes.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...