5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2014 6:35 PM by anadyr RSS

The 'Yelping' of Hotel Reviews?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have to believe that almost all posts here are honest and reflect the facts and opinions of MRI posters, but a recent "guest" post about the Pleasanton Marriott has me wondering.  The "guest" related that the hotel did not have Sunday newspapers, and that they were told that Marriott Corporate forbade them (my words).  I have stayed there Sunday mornings and yes they have newspapers, in fact, they have several types.

Like YELP, anyone is free to post anything they want. I choose to read between the lines and in this case wonder why the "guest" was not willing to add their name to the review?

Is "anonymous posting' are good or bad thing?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Pleasanton, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Pleasanton Marriott
  • Re: The 'Yelping' of Hotel Reviews?
    erc Platinum

I thought of you when I read that review, and of course, I'm going to always go with the Insider opinion that I have grown to know and respect over the one time, perhaps outlier, viewpoint (especially with the give and take that follows an Insider write up). Marriott is most likely going to observe the hard way the marketing axiom (demonstrated throughout the decades) that dissatisfied customers tell more people and use more energy than satisfied customers, thus a disappointed 'guest' is more likely to use the energy to fill out a review.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Very true ERC, very true.  But this dissatisfaction could have been rectified, although not always in  the way a guest wants it to be.

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

I wonder if the anonymous postings come from the direct link of "Review this property" in the e-folio?

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Those are reviews written by your fellow members without an Insiders profile. See screenshot

I guess I never knew you could be an Insider with no profile?  Don';t you have to be a member of Marriott Rewards, choose a name and avatar, etc.?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...