17 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2014 2:57 PM by parcaae RSS

New to Insider, a few questions

parcaae Silver 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi, as stated above, I am new to insider and would like to understand more fully on the Rewards.  Do you get points by using your Marriott Rewards Visa Card any where, or does it have to be only with their hotels or participating companies like other hotels, airlines, and car rentals?

What does it mean on the site when you are looking to get a room Marriott Reward Offers (MRO).  Does that mean you get points for selecting a room under that tab, or you can use your reward points for that room and if that MRO is not available for those nights, you cannot use those reward points?

Do you get reward points for staying one night, or does it have to be more than one night to get reward points? 

What if you stay at many Marriott's in different towns for a week, does that get you points (if the nights or only one night each stay)?

What is a reward blackout?

I am sure I will have more questions, but I appreciate any info I can get.  I have looked on the websites and I am a bit confused.  I feel the website is not designed very well.

Thanks

• Re: New to Insider, a few questions
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

parcaae,

Welcome to Insiders and please ask any questions you may have as their are a number of great folks here who are very experienced in travels all over the world as well as being quite versed in Marriott Rewards.

I'll attempt to answer your questions and others will also chime in where I fail to explain or give a descent answer.

1.  You can use your reward anyplace Visa is accepted of course and you will earn reward points, but when you use it at Marriott properties you get bonus points as well depending on the which rewards Visa care you have.

2.  You do get points and credit for nights on your paid stays whether it is one night or more than one.  You do not earn credit for a night stay when you use reward points or certificates for your room.

3.  As long as you are paying for the hotel room you will get points and credit for nights stayed at each property, so if you on Monday are in New York City, Philadelphia on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, then Atlanta on Thursday you will get credit for four nights and get the points for the amount you spent as well as the bonus points for using the Marriott Visa.

4.  A reward blackout is a period of time when that hotel property does not allow you to use either reward points or certificates for your hotel stay and only allows you to book a room for a paid stay.

Hope this helps and please continue to ask question as well as tell us of your travel experiences and plans.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

parcaae Silver 1 Reviews

IAHFLYR,

Thanks so much for the information.  You are awesome!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Yes you get MR points for using the MR Visa anywhere, although you get more points per dollar using it for a Marriott purchase, and I think you might get more for airline purchases, too.  If you have the black Visa you get 15 Marriott nights credited each year (which makes you silver elite at the minimum) and you also get some other perk such as no exchange fees for foreign currency, one night toward elite status on your anniversary, and one elite night per $3000 spent.  The regular Visa has some of these perks, too.  The MRO offers give you special rates as a MR member.  You still get points and credits toward elite status for these stays.  Whether you can redeem points for a particular hotel depends on availability.  If you get certificates for a free night, you need to call MR to redeem as those can't be redeemed through the website.

parcaae Silver 1 Reviews

Another question to clarify,  Marriott Rewards Member Exclusive Offer, 2000 Bonus Points per night.  This is an option other than standard rates.  What does this mean and offer you?  (besides a higher rate haha)

jack613 Silver

usually those have a higher rate and if it is appealing to you to rack up points then that is another option.

parcaae Silver 1 Reviews

I would liek to rack up the points, but I will only choose that option if there is a whirlpool in the room.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Marriott rewards member exclusive offers are rate options available only to Marriott a Rewards members which  offer extras that are considered by the hotel to potentially be interesting to the membership. Such offers are frequently cheaper rates, but sometimes offer extra points, free dinner, free kids meals, etc etc. such combined offers may cost more than the cheapest rate, but often represent a bargain against the extra charged.

the 2000 bonus points per night offer means that on top of all the points you'll be awarded for the stay, an additional 2000 points will be credited to your account by the hotel for each night stayed. Such offers usually cost more, sometimes so much more that it's not worth it, remember you can always buy points from Marriott for $12.50 per 1000, and I consider that to be too much. I'd pay no more than an extra $15/night for the 2000 point offer you're considering.

im staying at Edinburgh soon and the autograph hotel I'm staying at there is offering 10,000 bonus points per stay. I'm there for 1 night only and the rate costs an extra $30. I've paid the extra as I reckon that's a bargain!

FredSHomeNet Platinum 10 Reviews

parcaae.

Welcome! I am fairly new to Insiders as well.

I like the Marriott Rewards Exclusive Offers and I search for them regularly on the website. Last fall, the Residence in Treasure Island had a 5000 bonus points per stay reward for stays Monday - Thursday. Another offer was the Fairfield Inn Brandon which was 2000 bonus points per stay and an in room movie. I have discovered that sometimes the bonus point offers do not make sense. You have to do a little homework by checking the rate you can get on the Marriott site without the bonus point offer. I am a senior, so when there is a bonus point offer, I check to see what rate I could get at the senior rate. I spend a lot of time searching on the Marriott site...it is like a treasure hunt .

Another tip is that I have found sometimes during the year, depending locations, the bonus point go a little further than other times of the year. When I have bonus points to spend, I do a search on the Marriott site based on reward type and then can determine if there are any opportunities to get more mileage out of the bonus points earned.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

parcaae,

I just took a peek at your profile and see that you are looking to travel the world and would like to tie visits to LDS temples to your adventures.  Well, there are few cities worth traveling to more than Paris and there is a temple right next to the Palace of Versailles.  That would be a great day trip from Paris center.  Take the RER out to Versaille.  Pack a picnic, visit the palaces and grounds, then walk a few blocks to the temple and eventually catch the train back into town.  Not a member of LDS nor have I been there.  Just did a quick searches of temples in France and saw that one.

Enjoy your time on MRI and your time on the road.  To paraphrase Pink Floyd, '

And all you touch and all you see

Is all your life will ever be.'

FredSHomeNet Platinum 10 Reviews

psudad

Love Pink Floyd!

parcaae Silver 1 Reviews

Thank you so very much for that information.  Paris is one place I most definitely want to go.  Thanks for taking the time to look for me.

Platinum 28 Reviews

parcaae

Welcome to site where everyone's frustrations are put in print.

Please note that any attempt at being more obnoxious than "yours truly" will be considered a threat to my "title" (LOL).

Again, welcome and have a good time.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

And here I thought you and I were tied for most obnoxious!!

parcaae Silver 1 Reviews

misterchlk

Guess I will have to step up my game.  I am quite obnoxious and I like to threaten the norm

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...