12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2014 1:37 PM by beverlyhagadorn RSS

Give Marriott Rewards Members Options - Points vs. Certificates

blakestowell Gold
Currently Being Moderated

In recent years, Marriott has been doing promotions that provide certificates for free stays at Marriott Hotel properties (Level 1-5 category hotels). While this appears to be a generous reward for loyally staying at Marriott Hotel properties when I travel, I'm finding the certificates to be highly restrictive.

• Tried to use them during a visit to a Marriott Residence Inn in January, but the room I needed for my family to stay in was ineligible for using the certificate. I was told by the Marriott reservation agent when I tried to use it for the room I needed that "I could make a reservation for a smaller room at the property using the certificate and hope that the hotel might upgrade me," but they were essentially asking me to take a risk that I might not get upgraded and then the four members of my family would be forced to share one queen sized bed. Not really a viable option, but thank you for suggesting that anyway Marriott.

• Certificates can't be used for Marriott branded properties--only your lower end properties--Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Residence Inn, Springhill Suites, etc.

• Tried to allow a family member to use the certificate since it was going to expire before I could use it, but the certificates are non-transferable. Only the Marriott Rewards member can use the certificates.

My strong suggestion to Marriott is rather than providing restrictive certificates as the ONLY option for rewarding loyalty for staying extra hotel nights at your properties, give Rewards members the option to receive extra points in their account which don't expire and can be used at the Reward members discretion AND can be transferable to family or friends. Let your Rewards members choose how to be rewarded. It's all about choice, right? This is what Marriott used to do, but Marriott has changed their program in recent years. This represents a downgrade to the program and not a real incentive that makes me want to be a loyal member.

So please pass this feedback along to your SVP over your Marriott Rewards Program. Give members a choice. Hotel stay certificates or points. Thanks for the consideration.

I invite other Marriott Rewards customers to provide their feedback on this suggestion if they agree.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Give Marriott Rewards Members Options - Points vs. Certificates
    vickisocal Platinum

It already is an option. Just call and ask to be switched to a points offer. Very, very few are denied and those that are usually get it with a second call.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum
    As vickisocal correctly states, you can switch to a points offer instead of certificate offer by request. Now, if you don't feel you will stay enough nights to earn the points and therefore stick with the certs offer, ample feedback has been provided to Marriott about more flexibility for the certificates, as many Insiders share your view, but currently, it remains as is.

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/91609#91609  Trade Cat. 5 for points toward higher Cat.

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/106789#106789 OP was so irritated he posted twice, and got similar supportive replies

Welcome to Insiders, stick around and share your travel ideas, every now and then we win one.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

but I think you need to stay at least 20 nights during the period to get points while with the 1-5 only two stays

erc Platinum

Yes, you're correct and that's why a lot of folks decide to opt for the certificates instead. I was including previous links to highlight the reality that as much as Insiders and FlyerTalkers have suggested/requested more flexibility in the Certificates, currently there hasn't been any movement that way.

vickisocal Platinum

There are usually two points based Megbonus offers:

one being a bonus at 15 nights with an additional bonus at 20 nights

second being a bonus at 20 nights with an additional bonus at 25

Usually the lower offer is better if you expect to get 15 or 20 nights, and the higher better if you expect to get 25 nights.

Sometimes there is a third offer that goes all the way to 30 nights.

highmaintenance13 Gold 3 Reviews

Blakestowell,

You stated that,

• Certificates can't be used for Marriott branded properties--only your lower end properties--Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Residence Inn, Springhill Suites, etc.

Do you mean the certificates can not be used at Renaissance?

erc Platinum

Certificates can be used at all of the different brands, but of course can only be used for the eligible categories.

Currently (subject to change this week) there are 79 US Rens of which five are Category 3, thirteen are Category 4, and twenty five are Category 5, so a Cat. 5 certificate could be used for any of those forty three properties and a Category 4 Certificate would be good at the eighteen Cat. 3's and 4's.

The policy applies internationally also, I just used the United States as an example.

highmaintenance13 Gold 3 Reviews

I thought that they could used anywhere as long it is within the certificate category.  I am not understanding what is meant by they can't be used for Marriott brand properties.

erc Platinum

Yes, you are correct. The certificates can be used at any property that is a category that the certificate states (1-4 or 1-5), in other words;

If you have a Certificate for Category 1-4  you can use it on any brand Marriott property that is a Category 1-4.

If you have a Certificate for Category 1-5 you can use it on any brand Marriott property that is a Category 1-5.

I mentioned Renaissance because you asked about Renaissance.

and in case you were wondering about the Ritz Carlton brand;

Ritz Carltons are in Tiers - the lowest is Tier 1 which is 30,000 points - so neither of the above Certificates would be of any use at a Ritz

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

As erc points out, all that matters is that the property falls within the appropriate category (1-4 or 1-5). I've used certificates at several different brands (Renaissance, Marriott, Courtyard, SpringHill Suites, TownePlace Suites, and Fairfield Inn).

Finding a full service property in category 4 or 5 may be more difficult than finding one in the more budget-conscious brands, but it is by no means impossible. I've got 2 Renaissance stays on category 1-5 certificates booked over the next couple months, one in Charlotte, the other in St. Louis.

beverlyhagadorn Platinum

I agree 100%!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...