14 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2014 10:23 AM by highmaintenance13 RSS

Elite recognition upon check in

highmaintenance13 Gold 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I want to say that I realize that this question is in multiple threads, however,  I can't reply using my ipad.  I have only been a member of Marriott for almost a year and became a silver elite after my second stay.  I have noticed multiple threads about the greeting that is received upon checkin and realize that it varies.  I wanted to know is there a Marriott's policy or if some hotels did it out of kindness.  The internet customer care responded that they wanted to know which hotel was i referring to.  Below is the exchange:

My question 1: I would like to know if there is a policy that hotels recognize elite guest upon checkin or is it just a nice gesture for those elite guest who have received the recognition?

I realize my question is petty, but I have been told by other elite guest that they have received it and it really makes you feel welcome.

Thank you for your time

Marriott's response:

Thank you for contacting Marriott.  We appreciate the opportunity to provide you with information.

However, you have reached Marriott's central Customer Care department rather than the hotel directly.  Based on the information provided, we were unable to determine the hotel to which you were referring.  Please provide us with the name of the hotel that interests you, and we will be happy to help you in any way possible.

To help with your planning needs, a directory, which can provide you with a complete list of our hotels, is available at the following web address:

http://marriott.com/hotel-search.mi

Thank you for choosing Marriott.

Regards,

Marriott Customer Care

My follow up question: I am asking about a Marriott policy? Are you stating that the greeting for elite customers is not a Marriott's policy, but that of each individual hotel?

End of exchange

For  the board:

The point of my question is to clear an expectation of an entitlement that may not exist.  I can't become disappointed if there is not an official policy.

What are your thoughts?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Elite recognition upon check in
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

This question and the point that you raise has been asked for years.  I among others were interested in seeing if being a loyal Marriott guest could generate any greeting, and for a while there must have been a directive from HQ that caused it to work, especially for Platinum, Platinum Premiers, and Lifetime Platinum Elites. Mu last couple stays, the comment about being a loyal Platinum has been made with no prompting.

I think it boils down to recognition, and in this case that means recognizing loyalty. If it is done without being rote, and in a sincere way it starts the conversation at check-in on a positive note.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thank you Anadry,

I know the greeting that is received can make a stay more enjoyable for some people, so thanks for responding.

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Whatever Marriott policy may or may not be, I think it often comes down to the individual hotel, the staff, and the management.  I cannot speak for elsewhere, but here in the UK, some Marriotts are run directly by Marriott, and the staff are employed by Marriott; others are franchised and run and staffed by the company holding the franchise.  Believe me, I can tell the difference as soon as I walk through the door!  The difference in attitude is noticeable.  I am not saying they are rude, but staff in franchises do not tend to have the polish or attention to detail.  And any issues, however small, are not followed up as they are in a Marriott staffed hotel.

I stayed in a franchised Marriott last year, and they had no idea what a Gold Elite was (I was gold at the time) so they certainly did not welcome me as a loyal customer.  There was no CL at the hotel, and I had to point out to them that I didn't have to pay for breakfast, and it took them a while to find out I was right!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

hm13:

This question has surfaced many times on MRI and other 'talk' sites and it has never really been answered. In my experience, I have seen the greeting go two different ways and it really breaks down to 'what kind of hotel do we want to have and how do we train our staff'?

The two paths they seem to take are defining them as a 'let's be a 'good service' property that values what these folks are bringing us when they walk through our front door.....or.....let's just get through today so we get to tomorrow'.

I'm currently at a full service Marriott north of Boston and when I check-in last night the front desk supervisor checked me in. Now, if nobody else, one would expect that person to know what 'elite' status is. My greeting when approaching the front desk "Hi, it's cold out there'........Their response...'Do you have ID' (which I was holding over the counter as I was standing there but they were looking at their computer screen not looking at me when talking to me)....then, after pulling up the res....'you want the points, right?' Yes, thank you. 'Here's your key'. My question after....can you tell me where the CL is? 'Sure, you'll pass it when you are going to your room after you leave the elevator'.

Now, I wonder which type of property they are trying to be?

Unfortunately, your greeting question will probably always be hit or miss with whatever property you stay with. It has always been that way with me.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

So here's my question. Unless you've stayed at a property a bunch of times before, the guy at the counter doesn't know you from Adam. They only way he'll know you're an Elite is by the computer record. So is it really that important to get a phony special greeting from a guy who doesn't mean it but has to give it because the computer told him to?

As long as they are polite, recognize my status for upgrades, etc. it doesn't really matter if they call me by my name or my status.

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

I tend to agree with you john thai.  There are 2 Marriotts in the UK where I know I will get a special greeting, either at the desk or by some extra goodies in the room, because I am well known there.  It has nothing to do with me being an elite at all.  Equally, I have gone to non Marriott hotels for the first time and been greeted warmly as a customer whose custom is welcomed.

All I actually want is a polite and pleasant greeting, a smile, and good service.  I want to be recognised as every guest should be, no matter what their status.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

There is one in Bangkok where I have over 2,000 nights at that property life time. 2 months ago I arrived for a long stay. They had significant staff changeover. So the manager brought the new people out in the lobby, stood them side by side, pointed out "This is John and he's one of our favorite customers. Take care of him."

That's a whole lot better than a box of cookies when I arrive.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

I just recently had a check-in experience that I have found rare in my experiences.  I was checking into a FS property a few days ago and the associate who checked me in actually came from around the desk to hand me my keys and give me a brief orientation to the hotel.  This gesture certainly made me feel welcome at the property and gives check-in a more personal feel IMO.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I have had that experience mostly at Renaissance Hotels

Wow that is awesome, Jakeal.  This year I have stayed mostly at a SS and actually like the experience.  One day I came back from a business meeting and the front desk attendant spoke and said welcome back, how long will you be with us this time. If you need anything please let us know.  This particular  hotel does recognize their frequent guest whether or not they are elite. 

Followup to first post.

Thank you for all of your responses.  Internet customer service did respond back and below us their response. 

Dear Ms.***

Thank you for your additional message.  We appreciate the opportunity to provide you with information.

Please accept our sincere apology for the previous message.  We have a Marriott standard among all of our hotels to recognize Marriott Rewards Elite members during check-in.  If you are not experience this standard at one of our properties, please reply to this message with the name of the hotel and we will be happy to act as a liaison on your behalf.

If we can be of further assistance, we invite you to reply to this email.

Thank you for choosing Marriott.

Regards,
    XXXX
    Marriott Customer Care

End of Marriott's Response.

Thanks again MRI, I just wanted to know if a policy exist.  I do realize that it really doesn't matter about the policy if it is not known or enforced By the staff. I agree that everyone should be greeted warmly and made to feel that they made the correct choice in choosing a specific property. 

I love reading the review section, and noticed that many elite members will make it a point to say that they were not recognized, so it is important to someone. 

Hopefully, the response from Marriott will become useful to others.

erc Platinum

Whereas, like with a great heart surgeon with no bedside manner, I would take a terrific room over a hello, I have observed that often the greeting is consistent with the service. Thanks for following this through and giving us the scoop highmaintenance13.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...