22 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2014 5:45 PM by aje5837 RSS

Taste of Gold

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I got automatically registered for the newest "Taste of Gold" promotion. It came with an immediate upgrade for the next three months to Gold Elite status (I was at 47 nights already, so this just arrived a couple weeks earlier that I would have achieved it on my own).

Gold status will last until 2016 after completing 6 stays between April 1 and June 30.

I already have 2 stays booked in May (not counting the promo cert. I am using in St. Louis when I visit jerrycoin). Looks like I will have 4 or 5 more in Minnesota, North Dakota, and Wisconsin in June, so I see no problem making the challenge.

I received an email a week or so ago from Marriott telling me about "exclusive offers in 2014 to a select group of Marriott Rewards members." I guess this must be what they had in mind. Perhaps I'll get another email with an explanation. I just stumbled onto it when I logged into my MR account today.

I wonder what other "secret" promos might be starting and if other MRI members have received one. Regardless, I'm pleased to be back to Gold Elite status again, I've missed it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Taste of Gold
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

bejacob,

Congratulations!

As Judy Garland once sayed, "Meet me in St. Louis, Louis"!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Congrats and enjoy!

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

I Was automatically registered as well.  We don't travel a whole lot, but would love to earn the gold status.  Is it really worth it?  What are the big perks? 

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I'd say Gold is where the meat is and is totally worth it...

Sliver is really a bit of a giveaway level, Marriott gives it away for carrying the credit card. Apart from plenty of verbiage the only real benefit of silver are the 20% extra points... not shabby mind you!

However Gold brings with it real benefits in particular those sought after room upgrades, lounge access and free breakfast.  The room type guarantee and free worldwide wifi completes a really strong package. I vacillate every year  between Plat and Gold, without much thought but I make absolutely sure I don't lose Gold!

In my view there are only 2 downsides to the gold package. Firstly the benefits mean little outside the FS brands, and secondly the final benefit, extra points are really weak, only a half point extra per $ over silver. Just as well almost all UK hotels are FS!

Agreed. The extra 5% from Silver to Gold (25% vs 20%) doesn't make much difference. I spent the last year at Silver after earning Gold previously and the things I missed most were the occasional room upgrade and the lounge access. Free breakfast was added last year so that will be new for me.

Occasional room upgrade? Wow, in my experience as both gold and plat the room upgrade element is the most consistent part of Marriotts delivery. Mind you here in Europe I suspect there are far fewer gold and plats competing for the upgrades...

the 7 dat/week breakfast is quite new, though again in Europe it's been almost the norm, however once it became mandated it was nice not to know that it'd happen.

Perhaps occasional is not right. I certainly didn't get upgraded every time, but I got a suite now and then or a room with a better view. Much of it depended on the type of property. Upgrades seemed more frequent at Renaissance, Marriott and SpringHill Suites than at Courtyard or Fairfield. I've got considerably more travel planned this year, so I'll keep track of how often it happens and where.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Congratulations on the new shiny, gold status! Cool.

Thanks, foxglove. As I mentioned earlier, it showed up a couple weeks before I would have earned it anyway, but it will count on my upcoming trip to NC. The next question is whether I can reach platinum this year. With my travel plans it is in reach. It would be nice to do a little business travel and be assured of reaching it, but so far it looks like I'll have to make it on my own. That may be difficult.

As I suspected, the email explaining the promotion arrived today. I suppose if I didn't log on every day, it would have shown up before I discovered it on my own.

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

As a Gold member, a taste of Platinum would be very nice!!!

MARRIOTT - HINT! HINT!!!!!

Having reached Gold Elite on my own a few days BEFORE this promotion begins on April 1, I called MR customer service to see if I might get switched to a "Taste of Platinum" or some such promo. I was told that the system could not track two so similar promotions at once, however MR could manually track my stays over the same period (April 1 - June 30). If I make 9 "stays" during that time, I will be rewarded with Platinum Elite status.

Since I already have 6 paid stays booked, I'll probably find a way to make the 3 extra stays. With my current travel plans I may reach 75 nights by the end of year (or come very close). It would be nice to reach the next level about 6 months early and get the additional benefits for the rest of this year.

I also learned that details of the summer promotion will be released sometime in May. I assume this will be the next MegaBonus, but I did not hear what would be offered.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

bejacob,

Good luck!

See you in STL on 5/11!

I'm looking forward to it.

In addition to visiting about 65 counties in PA, NY, & VT (blog entry coming soon), I just completed the 9 required stays (between April 1 and June 30) to achieve the "Taste of Platinum" offer. WooHoo!

I get to keep the status thru Feb, 2016. Knowing how I travel, I doubt I'll be able to maintain it beyond that, but it's possible business travel could increase. I just found out I'm being sent to Indianapolis for a few nights later this month. Not terribly exciting, but those extra nights will help me get closer to achieving the summer Getaway Bonus. Even better, I get to stay as a Platinum Elite.

This may not sound exciting to you LPEs, but for me, this is pretty cool, even if I can only stay Platinum for a year and a half. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Those extra points for being Platinum as well as the night get you closer to being Lifetime Platinum!

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

Congratulations bejacob!  I wanted to to achieve the Gold Status but won't be able to do it by the end of this month!  It's too hard to travel at the end of the year, plus I'm a teacher.  We don't travel much since we both don't travel for work.  We only needed a few hotels stays to achieve the Gold status but just couldn't.  I hope they'll offer it to me again another time when I hopefully can!

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Congrats! 

ericnj Platinum 1 Reviews

The promotions are all geared towards being an achievable carrot/incentive. So, if some wonder why they are not offered a particular promo, it may be because there is no potential benefit to Marriott.

Example...they probably will not offer a promo to stay 10 nights in 2 months to a guy who stays 10 nights in 30 days

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Wow!  You are the featured insider.  Congrats!  Very cool!

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.

Makes sense. There are other ways to achieve Gold. The regular way may work best for you -- earn 50 elite nights. If you have the MR Premier Visa, you'll get 15, so reaching gold means 35 paid nights. In this case, the number of "stays" doesn't matter just the total number of nights. Good luck.

One other note. If you don't reach gold this year, but earn between 10 and 49 nights, any nights in excess of 10 will roll over at the beginning of next year. I had 29 rollover nights to begin this year, so even without the Taste of Gold promo, I

hit 50 nights by the end of March.

Bonus.PNG

So if you don't make it this year, you'll probably have a great head-start for next year.

Wooer, this is one of those things that makes me green for you Americans.

The credit card... Arghhhhhh

Here in the UK theres only 1 choice, Sygma... WHO you say? Me too, though they at least answer the phone after less than 90 rings, unlike the well-known "sonny-can-you-spare-£20Billion-Halifax" Bank... (Taxpayer reply, courtesy of Gordon Brown... "Yes, cheap at twice the price, why let megarich bankers go bust 'cos they've been irresponsible rapacious profiteers, we'll give you all the tax cash earned by the sweat of hard working garbagemen, cleaners, taxidrivers, miners, nurses, teachers et al, rather than you give up your 10 bed Tudor mansion and private school, after all little Tarquin and Tarquiette will be sponging for more bailouts in 20 years and we can't refuse them can we now?)  Ummmmmmm... OK, better stop ranting and wipe away the foam.... Where was I?

Oh yes, Sygma which offers us UK residents 10 nights credit pa plus 1 point per £ (0.8 points/UScent) on ordinary spend and 2points per £ (1.6 points/UScent) on Marriott spend and no-extra-nights-credit no-matter-how-much-you-spend. YUK!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...