19 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2015 3:39 PM by pluto77 RSS

Parisian restaurants

meme08 Silver 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We will be staying at the Renaissance Vendome soon and would love to hear about restaurants within walking distance.  Looking for something not touristy, romantic and perhaps with a prix fixe menu (but not really a requirement)  Hoping our bill will run about 100 Euros or so for 2.  Thanks in advance for any help.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Vendome Hotel
  • Re: Parisian restaurants
    psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of anything right near Vendome, however I can certainly recommend some wonderful restaurants.  The 100 Euros for 2 might be a bit tough to find.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d714962-Reviews-Chez_Georges-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

This is Chez Georges - it was Julia Childs favorite french restaurant and is still a great spot.  It is in St. Germain, over the river from Vendome, at 1 Rue du Mail.

Huitrerie Regis

Went here one night for a platter of oysters and huge shrimp - and champagne.  Very reasonable and delicious.  also in St. Germain at 3 Rue Montfaucon.

http://www.lamijean.fr/1.aspx

Of a lifetime of great meals, this one ranks near the top.  Not cheap but also not at the prices of Guy Savoy or Joel Robuchon.  We went with the chef's tasting menu and had them suggest glasses of wine through dinner.  It is in the 7th at 27 Rue Malar, just north of Rue St. Dominique.  Incredible Basque chef cares more abou the food and your happiness than Michelen stars.  The rice pudding is legend. (and that would be the last thing I would have ever ordered, but it was one of the most memorable desserts I've had.)

http://www.au-petit-sud-ouest.fr/

Great owners and wonderful southwest france comfort food.  Cassoulet and  lots of fois gras options.  We had a great time there.  Just a green salad, cassoulet and some nice glasses of wine recommended by the hostess.  In the 7th, very close to the Eiffel Tower at 46 Avenue de la Bourdonnais.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

This will probable cause a furor, but I would say if you want a good Parisian restaurant, go to Belgium.  I've lived in Paris (2 years the first time and for several month stints thereafter) and I have had better food everywhere else in France than in Paris.  Go to Dijon, or Brittany, or Normandy, or the Languedoc, and it will be wonderful.  But except for Vietnamese-French restaurants, I have absolutely no memorable French restaurants that I could recommend.  Of course, much of the time I cooked at home, and loved the foods from the outdoor markets, but that's tough if you're staying in a hotel.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

a couple of small restaurants that I have been too but in Marais area near Bastille  Chez Janou and Les Bonnes Soeurs both a little off the tourist path so many locals were there when we went in June

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

meme08.

You are in for a "Treat" as there are so many fine places to dine and they are all within "Walking distance", here goes:

DSCN0098_0080.jpg

Left Bank, Rue St. Germaine, Les Deux Magots, a famous place, not that expensive.  Note, most places have prices and menu's posted at door.  Take the first part of your trip and "Plan" for certain meals.  Make sure you are comfortable with a place prior to "Showing up"!

DSCN0079_0065.jpg

Capucines, near the Opera, is named after an "Order of Nuns", is very reasonable and pleasant!

KIF_0915.JPG

This is one of my "All time" favorite places to dine in Paris.  Across the street from the Opera, in The Grand Hotel, it is stunning.  You can save money by dining on the sidewalk side or indulge in the inside dining area.  Fantastic seafood as well as anything else on the menu.  Toward the Opera from Capucines!

Don't forget to walk along Rue St. Germaine and find a place you like, likewise, if you make it to Montmartre, dine at this place, you will spend, maybe 20 Euro's for a fantastic 3 course "Mom and Pops" dinner.  Give yourself plenty of time, they do not hurry in most French places.

KIF_0993.JPG

My "Medicine Shoppe Buddy", Mende in front of a wonderful place to relax and dine at Monmartre, Les Poulbot!  Near the S. Dali Museum.  This is a fun place, and ranked the "Best value" in Paris a few years ago!

Hope this helps meme08!

meme08 Silver 1 Reviews

Thank you Insiders for your prompt & informative replies. I plan to raise the budget a bit for dinners.  It has been quite a while since we have been to Paris. jerrycoin and profchiara I found your posts to be invaluable when we planned a trip to Italy a while ago.  We plan on wine at Deux Magots and lunch at le poulbot when we are in that area just because it looks so inviting. Profchiara I will lower my expectations for cuisine.  Luckily we are taking a river boat cruise up the Rhone the week before to celebrate an anniversary so I will appreciate the food in Provence and especially Lyon. psudad , thanks for the advice about Huitrerie Regis.  Really looking forward to a great seafood platter there one night. jerryl  I have been searching for someplace to eat Sunday night (when so many restaurants are closed) and Bonnes Soeurs is a perfect fit. Merci!

meme08, here is a picture of our dinner platter at Huitrerie Regis.

DSCN1246.JPG

When and if you go to Montmartre, and Le Polbot, give yourself a lot of time for a meal!  In France, there is "Little Fast Food"!

The food there is very good and very inexpensive, on Parisian pricing:

IMG_1641.JPG

This a view from the other side of the street.  I want to "Caution" you that as you approach Montmartre you will be "Approached" by many "Scam's", both jewelry, artistic, and other, do yourself a favor, and keep walking.  Once past them, everything is really interesting!

And pickpockets.  Notorious area for that, so just use precaution.  Though Montmartre is a beautiful area, it is a bit sketchy.

meme08, the other suggestion I would make is to walk the markets, buy some breads, charcuterie, cheese, fruit, a split of wine, some chocolate or a pastry, go to the Tuileries, or Place des Vosges or any of the cities parks and have a picnic.  It is a wonderful way to enjoy Paris, wonderfully fresh food - and a great rate.  If you are heading out to Versaille for the day, that's another great place for a picnic.  Sit on the little wall in Marie Antoinettes hamlet.

Walk the market on Rue Montorgueil - the oldest in the city, north of Rue Tiquetonne.  I don't believe it is far at all from where you are staying.

Or the market on Rue du Bac in St. Germain or the market on Rue Cler in the 7th, south of Rue Saint-Dominique to Rue du Champs de Mars.

We always do at least one picnic lunch somewhere.  Last trip it was in the Square de la Roquette off Rue de la Roquette, on our walk back to the 7th, just after having spent hours walking Pere Lachaise Cemetery.

Here are some more places to dine that you might enjoy:

IMG_1108.JPG

Quasimodo's is between Notre Dame and The Seine.

If you'd like to try the cuisine of Guy Savoy without having to deliver your first born, visit http://www.lesbouquinistes.com/

It is a Guy Savoy bistro.  Excellent food, at a fraction of his other spots.  It is four blocks west of the bridge for Rue de la Cite, on the left bank of the Seine, just off Ile de la Cite, which is the location of Notre Dame, on Quai des Grands Augustins.

Another, in Saint Germain, is L'epi Dupin at 11 Rue Dupin, 75006.  http://www.epidupin.com/uk/index.php

I've enjoyed this conversation so much, I just booked another trip to Paris for this fall!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Good info, Psudad.  Thanks.

Where did you decide to stay?

Not a Marriott friendly response, but we rent apartments in Paris.  Not that their properties aren't great there.  My wife studied in Paris, we both know the city pretty well now and enjoy feeling like we're part of the neighborhood, with the flexibility to hit the markets, have a meal in the apartment, breakfast every morning and our wine and cheese before going out. 

Thanks Psudad.  I have rented an apt. in the 3rd through a company called VacationinParis.  We have also used SleepInVenice and really liked the place we rented.  It really does feel like you're part of the neighborhood.  Good for you.

We've now used homeaway and vrbo.  Both in the 7th.

We just booked a place in the 3rd for next May.

Je suis jaloux.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...