1 2 3 9 Previous Next 124 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2014 2:00 PM by shoeman1000 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

2015 Devaluation (rumor mill)

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

So I just read this on BoardingArea....don't forget this is unconfirmed but what does everyone think?

http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthewing/2014/03/13/big-rumored-devaluations-marriott-rewards-awards-elite-benefits/

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 1. Re: 2015 Devaluation (rumor mill)
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I don't think I know, if this does come to pass and the current Platinum level to include Lifetime Platinum Marriott can kiss goodbye to a large number of Gold and Platinum members for further revenue stays.  That just might be the final smack in the chops for loyalty.

Initial thinking of my plan will have to wait until it is written and I get a chance to blow off some steam, but my thought right now would be unless I was to be able to book a room on the CL at a descent rate I just might go the kiss my butt goodbye for any further revenue stays as well.

Gee, I wonder what this type of action might have on all those new Gold Reward members from UA MileagePlus Premiers?  That pretty much puts the UA/Marriott partnership in the old dumpster out back doesn't it!!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: 2015 Devaluation (rumor mill)
    gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

If a massive devaluation takes place along the lines of the current rumors, it would be devastating to many loyal Marriott elites and the program itself.  I fail to see how this would enhance the Marriott brand.  Of course, if the Marriott properties are turning guests away due to 100 percent utilization of capacity, they have no need for a loyalty program.  I hope the rumors are just that.  The rumor(s) certainly caught my attention and are a cause for concern.

• 3. Re: 2015 Devaluation (rumor mill)
    stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

I hope the rumors aren't true, but if they are, I hope they get announced soon, that way I can cancel all of my revenue based reservations immediately, they can give my rooms, at good revenue rates to the Millennials and high stay travelers they are chasing (oh, right, I forgot, the Millenials don't have the wallet and the properties I stay at often are at less than 75% capacity). I havent flown Delta in over 10 years, kissed UA goodbye as well 5 years ago, and if the rumor is true, I will use up all of my points and go elsewhere, as my loyalty is a 2 way venture.

• 4. Re: 2015 Devaluation (rumor mill)
    erc Platinum

This is the exact same language as outlined by takingthehighroad outlined in How will points change in 2014 http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/95365#95365. Taking is a new Insider (DC native) and has not been heard from since. Taking, are you the Ric mentioned in ks77's link?

Conspiracy theorists (about Marriott intentionally leaking the devaluation) start your engines.

It appears Ric Garrido of Monterey Ca. (check him out anadyr) owner of Loyalty Traveler lifted the entire blurb from Insiders (which he said, so no sweat there) and then Ric's post was picked up by the Boarding Area blog - boy, talk about the old phone grapevine game.

• 5. Re: 2015 Devaluation (rumor mill)
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I have not met Ric but then I am in Witness Protection and should not be seen in public!  I read his blog from time to time.  Anytime you search for language on  Google one of the results might be from the Insiders, so be aware and careful!!!!

• 6. Re: 2015 Devaluation (rumor mill)
    erc Platinum

1) Well have 'your people' do a check

2) iah - start saying you and I are Nigerian Princes and will be accepting deposits - maybe it will be picked up by The Madoff Letter and we won't have to worry about benefits devaluation ever again

And now, we return you to your regularly scheduled thread; 2015 Devaluation (Rumor Mill)

3) ks77  thank you for allowing the detour

• 7. Re: 2015 Devaluation (rumor mill)
    marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I could see some of those changes happening but not all of them. Category 10, increase of 5,000 points per level, elimination of free 5th night, and publishing of PP requirements all seem like they could happen.  But free parking for Gold and above...not going to happen...parking is $40/night-$60/night in most major metros.  I just couldn't see Marriott making that free--significant loss in revenue and parking in major metros is expensive.

The confirmed suite upgrade at booking is possible (kind of like an airline), but some hotels have such few suites and which suites would be eligible--probably not the biggest suites If they are a big step above the other suites in the hotel.

• 8. Re: 2015 Devaluation (rumor mill)

Like Obamacare, empty promises and much more cost to the consumer.

• 9. Re: 2015 Devaluation (rumor mill)
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

All I can say is WOW! I'm trying to catch up after some time away from the site and all this 'stuff' about big changes in 2015. Almost seems like this 'rumor' of changes is taking on a life of its own. All I can say is when something goes this way it may become a 'be careful what you wish for' deal.

I look at rumored changes like these and, no question in my mind, the big M would take a huge hit when they lock out the Plats from the concierge. Do they think we stay at their properties for all the the upgrades we get?

The CL is a respite from a long day whether it be work, travel or leisure. Take that away and......well, they'll bear the consequences from a great number of folks would be my guess.

• 10. Re: 2015 Devaluation (rumor mill)

Well said Tef, and yes anything is possible,

• 11. Re: 2015 Devaluation (rumor mill)
    tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Totally agree with you Tef.  I am retired and was Gold, but because of health issues cannot travel so much anymore, and am now silver.  Fair enough.  But upgrades were never on my horizon.  I got upgraded once, at other times the hotel was full - and it really was.  I have always booked and paid for a room category above the standard room, and booked for room only.  Then I could use the CL (or executive lounge as they say here in the UK) because, as you rightly say, it is a respite from whatever you have been doing during the day.  We are leisure travellers, and appreciate the breakfast away from the main throng, the evening offerings with a glass of wine if we have been out all day etc.

Now I am silver, I will book a room with CL access in future, (or use points) but if I was still gold, never mind platinum, I would be very unhappy that this was taken away from loyal customers.

• 12. Re: 2015 Devaluation (rumor mill)
    superchief1 Platinum

If MR eliminates the fifth night free and platinum access to CL, I am through with Marriott. I have been a loyal customer since the inception of the program and my traveling is increasing again. The devaluations over the past few years have reduced my loyalty (and my traveling coworkers)  from 95% of my stays to about 50%. I currently prefer Renaissance and FS Marriott's if their cost is within our corporate guidelines (which is becoming more rare). If not, I will consider Springhill and occasionally Residence or Fairfield Inns, but will choose HGI, Homewood, or Hyatt over Courtyard (which I avoid due to Bistro and no coffee). It is amazing how fast Marriott ruined the competitive advantage of their loyalty program and customer focus after the Marriott family became less involved in the leadership.

If these drastic cuts are made, I believe Marriott will regret its decision in a few years. There is a significant inherent value in loyalty. Without it, customers make choices primarily on cost, and hotels become commodities. 

• 13. Re: 2015 Devaluation (rumor mill)
    erc Platinum

This is my fear. If Marriott makes those type of drastic cuts, they are in effect saying, that they are willing to play the game primarily without loyalty (with the exception of the very highest revenue customers). Marriott certainly reads, reviews, and knows the same stuff that all of us know and therefore is cognizant of the expected reaction.  Making that type of move would indicate to me, they don't strategically feel they have to concern themselves with the reaction, that under supply of properties and current economic momentum will more than make up for the loss of disgruntled loyalists. I have heard three CEOs all discuss projected increases in future revpar, rates, occupancy, and earnings for the near future, so they're certainly feeling their economic oats.

So far, they've been proven correct given the changes they have implemented and the results achieved. Even if in the future, Marriott's move (should it be executed) is proven wrong, it doesn't do us customers any good short term, once again demonstrating that being right is overrated.

• 14. Re: 2015 Devaluation (rumor mill)

What if this is all true? If it represents a corporate decision by a major player then we can see almost all the big hotel chains doing the same, after a respectful time in which they see if Marriott has a 'winner' in this. Washington Business Week has mentioned that the Marriott CEO is one of the president's 'go-to' CEOs, been to WH dinners. The CEO moght be trying to change the game: make the corporation more millenial friendly, eschewing all that was past in a three decades old loyalty program, while strengthening the bottom line for Marriott.

I liken it to a slot that I used to play called The Sopranos.  It was there, paid better than most, and disappeared.  Sopranos odds at 80/20 (80 for the house) were too high, an employee told me so they took it out!  Maybe the MR program was too much in guest's favor, who can say?

1 2 3 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...