9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2014 10:51 AM by ansaa RSS

Athens, Greece

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

Alas, I will not be going to Edinburgh THIS TIME.  We are currently in Maine enduring the n-teenth ice/snowstorm which is expected to make roads impassable tomorrow.  I checked Edinburgh for the next week and it looked like it would have been rain for most of when I was there.

Too much is too much, so I'm going back to Greece earlier than planned. Alas, I hoped to go to Santorini or Crete since I'm teaching a course on pre-classical Greece and it will be spring break, but while things are open, it's very limited.  Some entrepreneur out there needs to teach the Greek island people that Americans and Europeans will flock there for the low prices and great scenery if only things were open before mid-April.

So I'll be in Athens, and since I need to work at the Cycladic museum, the new Acropolis museum and other very downtown sides, I will sadly not be staying at my wonderful, favorite hotel, the formerly Marriott Athens Ledra (now just Athens Ledra).  I need to be close to everything including the train station to get to the Peloponnese during my six days.

So guess what -- Starwood got my business.  They still have hotels in Greece, including two of the best.  I'll be staying at the Grande Bretagne.

Not to worry people who have given me Edinburgh hints.  If my surgery goes well in the early summer I can do it then or in fall break.  It does break my heart not to be staying at the Ledra (and paying a lot more at the GB), but I just couldn't justify it with what I need to get done in 5 days.  When WILL Marriott get the Ledra (preferably) back or at least some hotels in Greece?  It does not seem to be a problem for other chain hotels.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Athens, Greece
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Prof,

You've always got a backup plan to the plan, awesome!

Santorini, a place we've always wanted to visit, yet have not done it.  Looks like some time spring or fall of 2015 just might be the time.  What is the best way to get from Athens to Santorini and your favorite place to stay, please?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

The good part is having hundreds of thousands of FF miles.  Because I knew what Delta was up to, I planned 4-5 FF flights this yr (not short distance like London, more like Greece) since as a Platinum I could cancel within 72 hours,  I'm still figuring out Delta's program (and hate it for 2015), but it has occurred to me it may not be worthwhile to use up all my miles now, and that if I get a college grant for research, I should be able to retain at least my Platinum miles for next year -- then I can burn all the miles !

Santorini is beautiful, though if you stay there do so in Imeraviglio, the place between the port of Thira and the ultimate shopping/tourist destination of Oia.  Most hotels are right on the bus route road, yet unlike the rest of Santorini Imeraviglio is not overrun with people -- and you get large infinity pools with views of the sunset over the caldera.  Oia is great for shopping and pics, but I think you want to retire for the night to a beautiful place.

What I'm planning to do in May is fly on a Delta FF ticket to Athens, then buy a R/T ticket to Thira/Santorini.  If it works now (and could -- I just didn't want to go if I couldn't have an open pool!), it will certainly work in the summer, at least based on Skyteam flights then a layover with Aegean hours of 3-4 hours.  You can take a ferry to Santorini, but it takes all night.

Since I have only before taken cruises (Louis Cruise Lines) that stopped in Santorini, I don't know the best hotels, though I've been assiduously looking through tripadvisor's suggestions.  I need an outdoor pool, relatively accessible to the road and bus, not too much climbing, and a beautiful room.  Except for the climbing, most but not all seem to fit the bill.

On the other hand it you're just stopping on a cruise Oia (pronounced Ee-a) is where the action is.  But that's also where all the cruise ship tourists are too.  I strongly suggest Imeroviglia without having stayed there yet!

The photo on the main Insiders page was taken from Oia, though unfortunately neither of my cruises was there for sunset.  Some time in the next few day I'll try to download a few more pics of Santorini, even though I have not yet been to Imeroviglio, though the bus I have taken passed it twice.

It depends on whether you want calm, serenity, beautiful views, pools, sunsets or whether you want action.  I'm of the former type, which is why I'll stay in Imeroviglio next time in Santorini.  Plus you are close enough to everything and can walk (down) to the port of Thira.  This is one of the oldest civilizations in the world, dating back about 3800 yrs, so it's pretty cool besides being beautiful.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

professor,

Keep those wonderful photo's coming!

You may be "Responsible" for sending many MRI to Greece!

There is no "Maybe", Prof WILL be responsible for sending many of us to Greece.

Prof,

Those a fantastic tips and your are very correct, retire to a beautiful place is the concept.  I have really never cared much for being in the action, Lord knows I create enough action on my own so a nice peaceful calm place as you mention with a beautiful pool and view for the sunsets is perfect.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Great suggestion newhiltonmembr!

ansaa Member

Greece is one of my favorite countries, profchiara! During my spring break in 2009 while I was living in Spain, me and a handful of friends traveled through Greece for a week. It was a vacation I will never forget. We did not make it to Santorini, but we spent time in Athens and a few smaller coast cities. Enjoy your trip, we are all looking forward to seeing those pictures upon your return!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...