23 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2014 6:22 PM by painedplatinum RSS

Way Back When

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

It was 1962, New York's Idlewild Airport  (Now JFK) and the new TWA terminal opened.  Very futuristic. Portions of the original facility were demolished for JetBlue's new terminal. It opened in 2008, and now partially encircles the old TWA facility.  Back when flying was fun and an adventure for all of us--not any more.

TWA.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New York Marriott Marquis
  • Re: Way Back When
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

anadyr,

You are so right!

TWA was by far my favorite and it was always fun.  Today, not so, when flying;

Always wanted to fly some "Exotic Airlines" like Singapore, never have, and now, I think I will stick with US carriers.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

I have a tear in my eye, anadyr!

Yes those were the days for sure

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

remember when it was actually "cool" to be on a plane??? They gave all the kids a toy airplane and wings, graciously handed out drinks and snacks with a smile on their face the entire time, we had leg room and there was no talk of spoiled brat frequent flyers (I include myself before you go reaming me) that complain about everything from TSA to legroom to elite seating/boarding to airline miles and broken down jalopies carrying us (most of the time...see Californian's post about almost crashing) from one destination to another, not taking all day to do it either.

yes, now THOSE were the good ole days!

Long Beach CA's airport is one of the prettiest around, but the new terminal has made it just like all the others!

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

I haven't been to the new terminal and I was telling jerrycoin how much I loved flying into it because everything was within  a short distance, even rental cars just across the walkway. Did they make it bigger? Less convenient anadyr?

Plans are in the works to IAD (dulles) it, sadly.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

oh man...sorry jerry! It was my favorite to fly into.

Jard to say and let me check on that.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Thanks for a trip down memory lane. The last time I recall going through there was in the mid-1980s.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

shamefully, jfk is now a dump, along with the other new york airports……  sad.

shoeman,

So true!

I am also not sure The Marriott Property near the airport has not seen "Better day's"!

Why do they try to make places "Depressing"

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Jerry

funny, 2 weeks ago I got stuck at Lagardia for the night and got a room at the Marriott nearby.  I do not think I closed my eyes the entire time I was in the room….

shoeman1000,

I thought I made a mistake staying at JFK Marriott, and always felt I should have stayed at the Marriott Lagardia.  It sounds like both places "Leave a lot to be desired".

Now I know why I avoid NYC airports!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

You should come take a look at the IAH Airport Marriott, what a complete dump.  The outside is simply atrocious with what appears to be mold and the inside in need of a complete overhaul if the Houston Airport System Master Plan doesn't take it down completely.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

what do you suppose is the reason behind airport Marriotts being in such bad shape? We don't have a Marriott directly by Will Rogers airport. It is about 2 miles away.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Not a clue other than someone thinks they have you hostage at the airport and you won't want to leave to go somewhere else.  When I've been in OKC I always tried to stay at the Oklahoma City Convention Center | Renaissance | Cox Convention Center Hotels or Oklahoma City Hotels & Suites Near Bricktown | Waterford Marriott either is always impeccably maintained.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

I was thinking about the same question madmax.  I think many of them are older properties that get lots of traffic, but do not have all of the amenities of similar properties not located near airports.  People likely do not stay there for extended periods and therefore I think they can get away with being in not so great shape.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

jakeal makes sense what you say. Most of the people who stay at these hotels are probably and most likely business travelers and already established Marriott rewards members. Therefore, they stay for convenience due to work and are used to lower level service than the average Marriott hotel. That is one way of looking at it. There is also the fact that if someone had to stay at a nearby Marriott for say overnight stay to catch another flight out next day for long haul travel or catching a cruise, they would probably not stay at any other Marriott properties after experiencing a bad stay at a "dump" hotel near the airport. In any case, Marriott should know better than anyone that strengths should be consistent in all hotels (integrity?)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

That a boy shoe...lol.  I've also had the displeasure to stay in that hotel.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

welcome back pained. I hope your second half of the trip was as enjoyable as the first half and you got to come back to a little more favorable weather. We are at 59 degrees today with only 15-20 mph winds. Yesterday was high of 44 and 45-50 mph winds so a better day

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Thanks maxie. The second half was wonderful. I'll add a wrap up blog post in the very near future!!!

ansaa Member

Thanks for sharing this, anadyr! Gorgeous picture, wish I could have seen something like this in person.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...