7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2014 10:05 AM by jerrycoin RSS

Which hotel to choose in Paris?

gold2013 Gold 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am going to Paris for the first time this summer. I have narrowed my choices down to Renaissance Venome, Renaissance Arc de Triomphe, or Marriott Opera Ambassador.

I am looking for easy access to metro, close to shops, bars, restaurants and tourist sights. All 3 seem to offer this, but which is best hotel to stay in for atmosphere, amenties - and does one offer overall more than the others?

Any comments appreciated. Thank you!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paris, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Paris Marriott Opera Ambassador Hotel
Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Vendome Hotel
Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe Hotel
  • Re: Which hotel to choose in Paris?
    psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

gold2013.  There have been tons of conversations on that very subject.  Search on Paris or hotels in Paris or specifically the ones you are considering.  You will find a treasure trove of information and recommendations.  Are you also considering the Marriott CE?  Here are a number of links.  You can search on Paris and get numerous hits.  I would be happy to help answer any questions I can about areas of Paris, attractions, restaurants.  I'm afraid I've never stayed in a Marriott Property in Paris - yet - just apartments and a small local hotel.

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/65206#65206

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/5321#5321

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/photoAlbums/1615   This is a photo album I created

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/5150#5150

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/2712#2712

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/1890#1890

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/1967#1967

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/4330#4330

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

gold2013,

The best way for you to discover what may be best for you is:

Go to previous posts on MRI, and you will find information that will really help you.

Good luck!

jakekath Platinum 4 Reviews

My family, wife and twin boys, 11 years old, stayed at the Renaissance Arc de Triomphe for 10 days.  We had planned only 6, but the location as well as the staff were so excellent, we decided, why move?  I can't tell you how superb the staff is at this hotel.  Hermann at the breakfast buffet will take care of all your needs….front desk and manager won't leave anything to chance, even changing our reservations from the Venome to here, last minute, because we didn't wish to move. 

Location is right by metro, within sight of the Arc….Can't go wrong here.  One caution is the hotel a/c…it was barely able to keep the room cool in the spring.  Don't know how this will work in the summer….

jafitz Gold

Hi Jakekath,

My wife and I are trying to plan a trip to Paris and want to stay at a Marriott on points.  We're also trying to determine a food budget without breaking the bank.  Since you had two children traveling with you, would you mind sharing some of your experiences re. meals, cost etc?  Also, what kinds of restaurants are available in walking distance from the hotel and how easy was it to navigate the menus?  Neither of us speaks French.

My email is ja.fitzgerald73@yahoo.com if you wish to reply directly.  Thanks very much for any information.

John

jafitz,

We can help you dine within your budget, even in Paris.

Determine where you would like to stay and let us know!

One you have a location, we can recommend places to dine.

jakekath Platinum 4 Reviews

HI Jafitz,

I'm glad you wrote.  The OFFICIAL DUKE OF PARIS is jerrycoin.  He is intimately familiar with all that is Paris and a great source of information. 

We too thought we could use "only points" in Paris.  This really won't work for a family.  Most hotels have only a single bed and allow two or a max of three.  I don't know if you have two kids or one, but if two, you will need two double beds.  This will really limit where you can stay.  Very few Paris Marriotts will allow a roll away, as it is called in the States.  We ended up booking with both points and $$.  You will find French hotels not likely to give upgrades unless you spend some $$.  We booked the Renaissance Arc De Triomphe, and paid $140US per night as well as some 300,000 points for 10 nights.  Ordinarily, the room we got would have cost in the 4-500 per night range. 

The really cool thing was the exceptional treatment from the hotel staff.  They gave us a nice room but most important, a free breakfast buffet, every day, for 10 days.  This was a $100 per day value.  We had the same waiter, Herrmann, every day, who knew exactly what we liked, packed a lunch with goodies for my boys, and really took care of us.  The staff was beyond exceptional!  They sent up chocolate and a bottle of Champaign for our anniversary.  The Renaissance is only a block from the Metro as well as McDonalds, if you wish, which we shunned…But all of Paris was open to us from this location.  When we went to Versaillais, we had a lunch packed by Herrman, free of charge, and enjoyed that on the grounds.

Every day, we bought fresh cheese, a loaf of bread, and wine and enjoyed that in the evening before going out for dinner.  The meals in Paris are really hit or miss.  We had some great meals and some that were beyond bad.  But it was all an adventure.

As for not speaking a word of French, neither did we.  Learn a few basics, hello, good morning, good evening, thank you, and you will find the French people to be among the most polite and helpful in the world.  Always take the time to acknowledge them before conducting any business and that's all it takes. 

I cannot speak for any of the other Marriott hotels in Paris but am guessing jerrycoin can.

You will have a great trip, regardless!  Of course the Louvre and Rodin and walking all about the city will be memories for a lifetime. 

Jake

Jake,

You "Made my day" very early!

"Duke of Paris"?  Never been called that before, especially when some MRI have "Forgotten" more that I will ever know about the city!  But yes, I have been a lot, and will be back the first week in May.  I don't think I have ever met Herrman, but I will look him up, get a photo, and share your comments with him!

You are so right on about the quality breakfast and the savings it allows one.  The quality of the staff is really exceptional at Ren. Adt.  I have reserved a suite for our special trip and will look forward to sharing your experiences with the hotel staff as well.

I will also share with you that most of my meals are "Hit's" as I know places that will be "Winners" on any budget in Paris!  Many are short walks from The AdT!  If you go to previous Paris posts, you can read about them, not just from me but other MRI!  So glad you have enjoyed your time in Paris,  let me share these with you:

IMG_2351.JPG

This is a "Cool" place, The Louvre!

FH000001.jpg

A picture from Monmartre!

Thanks for your comments!  "The Duke"!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...