84 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2014 11:39 AM by anadyr RSS

Malaysia Airlines Flight Goes Missing!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

A Malaysia Airlines B772 operating a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing went missing over Vietnam.  No further information is provided, nor has the aircraft been seen.  Click the link to Airchive.com for continuing updates:

BREAKING: Malaysia Airlines Reports ‘Lost Contact’ with Aircraft | Airchive

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Malaysia Airlines Flight Goes Missing!
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

KH,

Let's hope for the best!

This may be a "Sad Story"!

Hope Not!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I hope it will be ok too.  Hard to imagine what happened... such a large aircraft dropping off the radar and losing communication near Ho Chi Min?  I'm sure if it crashed, someone would have seen/heard something... how very unusual

For the flight trackers out there, the flight number was MH370.  I do find it unfortunate that the media is placing emphasis on the jet type and that this would be the second incident in less than a year for the type... The Aisana incident was not a fault of the magnificent Boeing 777-200, but was PILOT ERROR.  The fantastic design and build quality of the aircraft is why so many people survived such a horrific accident. 

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I agree with you about the plane.  We still need to see what happened with this flight and what was at fault.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

anadyr,

thanks for the link.  All kinds of information coming out of left field... Chinese say it landed, Vietnamese say they found a wreckage... Very mysterious for it to just vanish without a trace and not even a distress call...

I think based on what I am reading in the Asian press, it crashed in the water, they have seen an oil slick, but not much more.

Malaysia Airlines hasn't had a fatal accident in nearly two decades. In September 1995, a Fokker 50 aircraft flown by the carrier crashed in Tawau, Sabah in Malaysia, killing 34. The deadliest incident involving the airline was in December 1977.

The jet that went missing Saturday was a Boeing 777-200ER bearing tail registration number 9M-MRO. It was delivered to Malaysia Airlines in May 2002, according to industry information. It is powered by Rolls-Royce PLC engines and has 282 seats, including 35 in business class.

so true

Thanks anadyr for the hull info!  Latest report I saw this morning says foul play is now suspected.  Two passengers boarded using stolen passports.  This is what I suspected all along... an act of terror.  Let's hope the aircraft had a hard landing somewhere and everyone is ok, though as you've mentioned, she may be laying at the bottom of the ocean now...

Well I am not an NTSB person but i have done some time in counterterrorism. I would agree there is a potential for foul play but an explosion at altitude would have scattered much more debris over the land and the ocean. such as the one that felled TWA 800 years ago off Long Island: rhe debris field was miles long.

That being said I might also posit that someone could have intentionally taken the plane down in a stall and dive, and thus it would be with limited evidence on the water's surface. If there was a minor mechanical failure — or even something more serious like the shutdown of both of the plane’s engines — the pilots likely would have had time to radio for help.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I suppose at this point we should all take a wait and see attitude.  However, seems strange indeed that 24 hours later we have no information.  the oil slicks have not definitively been attached to the aircraft, and the info regarding the stolen passports makes the mind wander….

Agreed, and the incident is one that needs to be given more search and recovery than speculation.  The 777 is a safe plane, the flight was routine, the weather not really a factor, but...we should wait and see.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

A very very sad event and one that could keep us all guessing about for a long time.  Our prayers go out to the family and friends of those aboard.

Vietnamese press is reporting that a door and other debris have been spotted by searchers.  How sad for all those people.

I'm finding the Vietnamese press to be difficult to believe.  Them and the Chinese have had so many false releases... it seems like they're vying to be the story breaker.  Very unfortunate.... Especially for the families that have lost.  And what's unfortunate with the US media is the focus on the aircraft type... The finger pointing at Boeing... come on... really? 

Either way, I agree, it's a wait and see.  Speculation will get us nowhere, but it's hard not to.  Perfect weather, no mechanical issues, no distress call... then the aircraft suddenly vanishes from FL35 without a trace.  Not even a signal from the black box. 

IAHFLYR, any knowledge on black boxes and their beacon? 

True that based on today's recanting of evidence found stories.

kharada46,

No sir, not a clue about either of them. 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

I did hear that the battery that powers the transmitter in a black box is only good for 30 days, so if the box isn't located/recovered in that amount of time, it becomes much more difficult to locate.  I believe that's what happened with AF447 from GIG to CDG in '09.  It took them almost 2 years to find and recover it.

Thanks IAHFLYR!

That'a a great idea anadyr.  That's something that should definitely be done, especially since Ku Band satellite broadband is becoming more common on aircraft.  I wonder if Boeing ever considered such a system during the 787's development since the flight system are entirely electronic. 

But looks like the situation has gone straight back to square one.  Oil slick ended up being bunker fuel and the "debris" was a false call.  If the aircraft is in the ocean, at least it isn't anywhere near as deep as was the case with AF447.

I spoke with an ex-ATC supervisor this am at the gym, and we pondered why this has not already been done, given that the Black Box technology is very old and while relaible, not good in all situations.

sg1974 Gold

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

that was a great plethora of information sg1974 but I have a feeling you lost some of the viewers when they clicked on the url due to the "Shocking Spanish Video" right next to it...

The Telegraph is often more sensational than most of us would care to see.

sg1974 Gold

there will be a lot more of these stories until they find some answers.

So true, and the ocean is so vast, sadly we might not know for a while.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

I have tried to remain open minded on this event and avoid putting in my two cents worth however; even as vast as the South China Sea is an airplane breaking up in flight or hitting the water intact would still leave numerous pieces floating on the water and most likely able to be discovered by some sources by this time.  So, my question is what was on-board this flight that has caused it to completely disappear?  I know, a crazy wild thought came into my head today after talking with a former B772 Captain.......so I'll let your minds ponder that concept and then anadyr can start writing a novel about it one day. 

Nevertheless, it is an extremely sad occurrence and one which we all hope is discovered sooner rather than later.  Keep those family and friends of those on the flight in your prayers at this time.

Ok.  You get our curiosity up and then drop it.  State your wild theory!

californian,

As I was replying to your request for my crazy theory I lost all internet, phone and cable so I was on bivouac so to speak, sorry for the delayed reply however; it's probably best that I didn't get to see our hometown Rockets get beat again in OKC.

So for my theory, think about it, other than aliens taking it someplace where did this plane go?  What if.......just what if it was a complete hiding of this huge plane someplace. I know, crazy wild and yet very possible with all the unusual places in the world that are used as diversion airports, the runways don't need to be very long to land it as the airplane stops very quickly.  They can dump fuel if needed to reduce the landing weight and it simply disintegrates in the air, or descend to a very low altitude over the water and burn off excess fuel as you'll certainly use up many more pounds per minute low than you will at FL350.  Just things aviation geeks talk about over a "prescription med" on a bright sunny warm afternoon.  

But there a gazillion people who are way smarter than the two of use combined that had this crazy wild conversation today that have already thought of this concept....or not!

It's super sad and my heart goes out to them.  It took authorities almost 5 days to find the AF447 wreckage evidence, though.  I think they'll find this one.

Btw, I know this sounds morbid, but just trying to understand what it would be like to be on an aircraft in that situation, that AF flight went from 35,000 ASL to sea level in less than 4 minutes, though they said that when it hit the water it was in a normal flying attitude.  A skydiver in freefall travels at about 2 miles/minute (when flat and stable).  I estimate the descent of AF447 at 1.65 miles/minute.  Tough to imagine...

Good points Pluto, and the mystery deepens.

• If there were an explosion it is possible that one of the DARPA/NASA satellites (Vela and followons) would have registered that flash.  I understand that the data are being culled from  that source as I write this.
        • If there was no explosion and just a total power loss, then as you say the plummeting would have been steep and deadly. The takeoff weight of a loaded 777-200ER is about 656,000 pounds. About an hour into the flight it would be less, and someone with more experience that me should tell us what teh fuel weight loss would be at that point.
        • I guess it is remotely possible that the plane turned back and crashed or landed somewhere that is inaccessible and that total radio silence has been imposed.  Highly unlikely.

Anyway a real mystery, and my prayers go to those families who had people on board that flight.

Years ago, I was on a United flight and they were serving breakfast.  All of a sudden, the flight attendants told us to put our trays on the floor, put the tray table up and put our heads in out laps.  The pilot then spoke but it was so muffled that we could not understand him.  The plane headed down like it was going to crash.  I could see out the window that we were heading for the ground.  I could see and hear several people praying. We thought that we were goners.  Then the plane leveled and we were told that we were going to make an emergency landing.  When on the ground, we were told to remain in our seats.  After a period people started to force their way off the plane.  A little later, we were told to deplane but stay at the gate.  Many heading for other gated to get on the standby list.  After over an hour, we were told that our flight was canceled and United would honor our ticket on any flight that had room to take us.  I got to my destination a day late when I was only going for a weekend.

Later, a pilot in the area said he thought they lost oxygen and when that happened, they had to quickly get to a lower altitude.  The pilots probably had an oxygen mask on and that is why the words were muffled.

I had a taste of what it would be like to be on a plane that was about to crash.

Wow

"The plane headed down like it was going to crash.  I could see out the window that we were heading for the ground.  I could see and hear several people praying. We thought that we were goners."

Californian, that sounds utterly terrifying.  Yet you still fly.  Way to go.

I've been on two planes in my lifetime that had serious issues, one a cracked windshield from a birdstrike out of BWI and the other at Monterey at takeoff when the engines did not deliver full power and the computer applied the brakes stopping just short of the mesa at the end.  But I still fly.

I had to fly but it was hard for a long time.  However, I stayed away from United for many, many years.  They handled it very badly.  We were all in a bad state and no one was there to help us.  No compensation was offered either.

Cal,

very disappointing to hear, but as I'm not a fan of UA because of it's lack of (and rather unfriendly) customer service, I'm honestly not really that surprised.

californian,

That is not a fun story, but you are correct once the pilots put on the oxygen masks the commutation from them is very muffled whether it's on the PA or the radio.

californian,

That is a terrifying story!  I would be terrified and develop a fear too.  I believe the crew should always keep passengers informed as much as possible.  In that case, it seems to me the FA's could have at least made an announcement.  I'm sure fear onboard would have been at least a little less if everyone knew what was happening. 

The FA were in panic mode and instead of telling us what was happening, they passed on their fear to us.  Not good!

Just maybe, the pilot did not inform the FA what was happening just prepare for a crash landing.  One way or the other, it was a horrible experience and I blamed United for how badly we were treated and  I could not believe that they didn't re-route all of us and we had to go to the gates and find a flight with room.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Quite scary, californian.

This incident is very sad, no matter what the outcome.

FredSHomeNet Platinum 10 Reviews

I prefer to drive and avoid planes. This must be terrible for the family and friends of the passengers and flight crew.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I have been on 2 flights where emergency landings were necessary.  The stories are long, and my family is tired them, but suffice to say, I was extremely anxious and felt that my time had come…  Interestingly, despite the fact that one of the incidents forced a landing with no front landing gear, and the other included using the chutes to de-plane,both landings were very smooth are problem-free. 

Wow shoeman1000!  That's insane!  I would have developed a fear of flying after that...

Shoeman,

Very glad that you and anadyr and californian all had "happy" endings, though the experiences were frightening.

For some reason, jumping out of a jumbo jet onto one of those blow up slides doesn't seem the least bit thrilling either.  They don't look very stable, and some of those fuselages seem like they're almost two stories off of the ground.  But if you're being chased by fire and toxic fumes, then I'm guessing perhaps not so much of a problem.

It would appear that the aircraft might have been transmitting data back to the ground prior to its disappearance... however, the Malaysian government will not acknowledge whether or not it has the data and does not intend to release the data if available. 

Malaysian officials non-committal on MH370 ACARS transmissions - 3/11/2014 - Flight Global

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I, for one, will never fly to Malaysia.  While Chinese authorities may have pinpointed the location just a short while ago -- the opposite direction from which a Malaysian military man said the plane had veered left and then later denied -- I think I will stick to Europe and even the Middle East.  The Malaysian authorities, IMHO, have handled everything about as badly as possible could be done -- and led to all kinds of theories which may or may not be true.  At least there seems to be 'something' that is larger than your average thing in the sea that Chinese authorities have sighted in the original area.

While I loathe the TSA (news to everyone), passports should always be checked against international passengers on departure and arrival (though Schiphol overdoes it to the point that I will not willingly fly through AMS anymore).  But that seems to have been a red herring.  At the same time it shows that however many times we try to regulate what little objects or liquids or whatever people take onto a plane, there is always the possibility of human (which I think is indeed the case here, whether pilot/terrorist/passenger) or mechanical causes are involved.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

professor,

Agree with you on:

No Malaysia for me either,

Passports should be checked, especially by Interpol on International flights,

But I have not had a problem flying out of AMS, at least in the past.  Will heed your warning should I have a reason to go there again.

Thank-you for your comments.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

hi Jerry,

My problem with Schiphol is it takes forever (unlike CDG).  Your passport will get 10 minutes of attention even in the fast FF line, and you will be chided if you seem to have not flown through AMS both ways (which on Skyteam is very likely). If, heaven forbid, you don't have enough pages left to their liking, prepared to be lectured.  Then there is the matter of transferring from US arrival terminals to your next connection, which because of all of the above can be quite horrific unless you have several hours. Other than that , it's a delightful airport! But I'll take CDG.