10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2014 12:33 PM by stevebepko RSS

What is the upgrade policy for platinum members

ghzj Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I note in the benefits section that a platinum member is supposed to be offered an upgrade if available.  I have never been offered and when I ask it is expected that I will pay additionally for the upgrade.  Can some of you experienced travelers explain the proper process to get an upgrade without being made to seem dumb.  Thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What is the upgrade policy for platinum members
    erc Platinum
    Hello  ghzj glad to see you on Insiders, here's hoping you stay involved and share some of your travel experiences.

The first thing to keep in mind with upgrades is that an upgrade is much broader than a suite; it can be a regular room on the concierge level, a room with a view, a corner room that is a bit larger than the regular, it can be a high floor room, it can be a Residence Inn with a sofacouch, it can even be a room near or away from the elevator - bottom line, there's a broad spectrum of what an upgrade is (and you'll get nowhere arguing with anyone - a moot point, they hold all the cards), so it really comes down to knowing what you want and asking for it, either through the virtual concierge, at check in, or writing the property in advance and engaging with an associate who expresses an interest in helping you make the most of your stay. Requesting rather than demanding is a far more effective approach. Elites are not quite that elite anymore and as I'm sure you're aware as a plat, pulling a DYKWIA may put someone over the HVAC fans.

As far as an actual offer from the front desk at check in, those days if not already gone, are fading fast with the enormous growth of platinums through actual stays and Marriott promotional offers and threshold lowering. Along with your own travel experience,TripAdvisor is somewhat helpful (their tips section) for giving you an idea of rooms you might be interested in, I've even walked the property before check in to see what side (& room numbers) faces the river etc., and of course Insiders often share their special rooms or views, so stay with us and find out about the great rooms, like the Seattle Marriott Waterfront and it's wraparound balcony..

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

erc has once again summed it up perfectly. I concur with every aspect of the post.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I agree. The upgrades can be pretty much anything. Though the concierge level is not really that much of an upgrade, it is an upgrade. I never request to be upgraded, but I would say I am upgraded 30-40% of the time and then to suites 5-10% of the time.

I saw on another thread that an elite member contacted the hotel prior to his/her stay and that seems to be a successful strategy if getting upgraded is important to you.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

erc, as always, has provided an excellent explanation.  Let's not forget, however, that even if offered an upgrade, it may not always be what you think.

Case in point:

Corner Ocean View Room

4.jpg

5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

Versus

Jr Suite

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Mind you, both these rooms were at the same property.  The property would also call an upgrade receiving a room in 1 tower over the other. 

ghzj Platinum 4 Reviews

Great pics and a good explanation of what an upgrade may or may not be,  This community is very helpful thanks to one and all.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Thanks!  I learned through that experience that Jr Suite, not always better than corner room with view. 

Oh, and if you're traveling for a special occasion, it may do you good to e-mail the hotel GM and request an upgrade because of the special occasion.  I did this for my hotel in Paris & in Rome when I went on my honeymoon and got upgraded to a superior room in Paris and a nice Jr Suite in Rome.  Both hotels also provided us with a nice bottle of bubbly

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

kharada46 is absolutely right. I have had success with that approach in both Napa CA, and Baltimore MD. One was a cottage upgrade and the other was a huge corner jr suite.

stevebepko Platinum 1 Reviews

I'm a Platinum Life.  Just gave my daughter and son-in-law points for a stay at the Marriott Marina in downtown San Diego.  Fully expected them to be upgraded to (for sure) lounge access and possibly concierge level room.  Good thing I called first...

Seems that the "new" (maybe 1 month) Marriott (corporate) policy for upgrading elite member's guests has changed.  No more upgrades for them, only if the Elite member is staying on the property.  I can understand this, one complaint I always had is that the Concierge lounges are too crowded.

The good news is that they made an exception in my case and gave them the lounge access and upgrade (it was my daughters birthday,,,).  But FYI, there is now a new policy.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...