23 Replies Latest reply: Mar 24, 2014 11:12 AM by jerrycoin RSS

MRI Get-Together March 8 in Conway NH

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hello Insiders!  I looked around the site for the proper place to put this and couldn't find anywhere specific, so here it is in Other Topics.  I am prompted by a recent poll asking how many MRIs we have met, and I have seen the photos of happy get-togethers, so I extend this last-minute invitation.    Fellow MRIs who might be near North Conway, NH this weekend skiing, shopping, or living in that beautiful area:  feel free to come by the Residence Inn lobby between 2 - 3 p.m. on Saturday March 8th (yes, tomorrow).  Since this is not a full-serivce Marriott, I'll have a limited amount of cheese, crackers and beverages to share or you are welcome to bring your own.  I'll be the one catching up on past issues of Wine Spectator.   I know chances are slim that anyone would be in this part of New England,  but if I was in CA this would not be doable!  Maybe in the fututre we could have a special area to post things of this nature as I have seen on other sites.  -Sledchick

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
North Conway, New Hampshire, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn North Conway
  • Re: MRI Get-Together March 8 in Conway NH
    madmax Gold 7 Reviews

Sledchick thanks for the invitation. I will unfortunately not be able to make this tete a tete but what a wonderful idea to pass by NathalieF. Do you think we could have a special area for MRI get-togethers as we have that involve biking, other topics, destinations, etc. that could be joined by any who have interest in getting together with other insiders while making travel plans?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks for the reply, madmax!  Even something as simple as form to fill out which translated to a listing of when, where, who and any other pertinent details -- then it wouldn't have to be as lengthy as my post was.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Sledchick,

I wish I could make this one, but can't!

You have a wonderful time, and please try this again, with a little more lead time!

We could also invite erc, and all of us meet at CVS!

This was a spur-of-the-moment offer, jerrycoin!  I did not know I would have any free time on this excursion so once I did, I said "what the heck!"  How did you know I love CVS?

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Just out of curiosity, if I were to come, which sadly I can't, would I need to pack my snowmobile? Great idea, though, about some sort of meet-and-greet corner on the MRI site!

This isn't a snowmobile trip, foxglove.  It's the state hockey championship for my son's age group so no "sleds" needed, just your presence!  I like your "meet-and-greet corner" name; says it all.  Maybe next time I can meet you and Mrs. Fox!

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

I really was curious about the weather. We in Georgia feel like we've been dealing with a horrendous winter, but I literally can't imagine what it's like in your region. I was born in Wisconsin, but I was relocated to Georgia before memories kicked in. Good luck to your son and his teammates!

It's really cold in Wisconsin, too!  I can understand how snow and cold weather could cripple southern areas like Georgia though.  Thanks -- the kids had a tough game last night and lost 3-2 but if they win today they will still be in contention.  We shall see if they "bring it".  At any rate, I'm proud of them for getting this far.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Wow, if I had the money and the time we'd be there. Our Chatham adventure is this summa (summer in non-NE speak) but we have a few destinations before then to do.

Thanls for the invitation. Come see us in Chatham, down Cape!

I wish you had the time too, anadyr!  I wasn't sure of what our schedule was going to be for the weekend so that's why it was a last-minute thing.  Hey, you never know where in the world our MRIs are at any given time, right?  You would enjoy the brisk weather today; it will be a little above freezing and I can see the sun trying to peek out from behind the clouds.  Not quite Monterey but we'll take it!  The lovely woman at the front desk upgraded us to a 2 bedroom suite last night.  It was a complete surprise until we walked in to the room.  My son made a point to tell her thank you on the way out for dinner as he really likes sleeping in a real bed instead of a sofabed.  And I thanked her because we could use all the room we can get to dry out hockey gear!  As for the Cape, we're planning to be in Martha's Vineyard the last week in June -- is this anywhere near your time frame?

Actually not sledchick   and sorry.  We heading East early July for a few medicinal adventures: One is the Kentucky Bourbon Trail, with visits to the places we keep in business, a few dropping in on friends along the eastern seaboard, and of course settling in on the Cape in later month for about six weeks.

I was actually looking forward to having a Pittsburghese confab with you all. (youins).

But things may change, wee may win the lottery, etc.

I am doing two book signings in August if you;re interested.

Roger

Oh, such a hardship to visit the Bourbon Trail; I know you will enjoy it thoroughly!  Sounds like a fantastic summer plan.  Yes, I'm definitely interested in the book signings.  You can let me know where and when.  My son will be at a few camps that month so I may be able to scoot down to the Cape.  Good luck on that lottery!

I will send a private message with details.  Stay tuned.

PS: We're having mid 70s most of the week out her forgot to mention that. I got a dispensation from the Monterey Forester (we are smack dab in the Urban Forest) to trim some of our gargantuan pines even though it is March!

I fantasize about 70 degree weather on our cold days...  The sun is out in full force here in NH and I'm grateful for that!  Were the trees diseased or just too big and danerous?

Monterey Pines, as the Forester tells me (again) are the most prevalent source of lumber in the world. Ours are about 75 years old, very near the end of their life, and in a semi-dormant "resting" stage.  According to the forester, the trimming of lower branches on these 85 foot monsters will help the tree manage its photo-tropic life-sustaining business.  I would guess that we'll remove less than 10 percent of the foliage when all is said and done.

Thanks for the explanation!  I never know what I'm going to learn about on any given day on this site!

DSCN0054.JPGThe house at it peak is about 26 feet above the lawn/yard, so this gives you an idea of the height of the trees.

Wow!  That photo makes me nervous for you when a windstorm pops up...  Those trees are SO close to you house!

Some foreshortiening with a wide angle lens on the Nikon, sorry. One is less than 15 feet away.

Sledchick,

Am sure you had a great time, no matter what!

Anything special you can share with MRI! 

Hope you can extend this invite next year!  Would be great to do!

Well jerrycoin, you were missed!  I had 5 bottles of wine, several cheeses and different snacks laid out in the lobby.  No MRIs attended but several of the hockey moms appreciated the spread and took part!  I did meet a nice rewards member in the pool area on Sunday and we talked about the MRI site for a while (a good PR opportuninty -- you wouldn't know that my degree is in marketing, would you?).  I would love to do this again next year, but it will depend on the hockey team making it to the state championships.  And the location would probably change but I'm up for it!

sledchick,

Sounds like you had a wonderful time!

Congratulations, and hope some of us MRI will make it to the next one!  Wherever it is!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...