7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2014 2:30 PM by foxglove RSS

Marriott promotions- who redeems free night certificates?

millikenb Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

While it's nice to offer promotions, how many free night certificates go unredeemed?  You stay your nights, qualify for a free category 1-5 free night, then do you actually use them?  For me, these stays are accumulated on business travel.  Staying at a Courtyard or Springhill is out of convenience.  When I'm on vacation with my family, I'm not staying near an airport.  I want to stay at a full service Marriott or vacation villa.  Guess what?  I can't use my free night certificate for any of these becaue they are category 7 or higher.  There is no process to combine multiple free night certificates for a higher category hotel.  There is a one time exception to convert them into points.  I'm guessing the majority go unused and Marriott is not out anything.  However, they gave us a nice promotion! 

Reward your members by actually giving them a promotion they can use!

Buck

Platinum member

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott promotions- who redeems free night certificates?
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Hi Buck, I have used all of mine, though it is getting harder to find a Cat 5 or below where I want to go. The Pleasanton Marriott here in NorCal is one exception, only a Cat 4 but treats you like the Ritz.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

millikenb Platinum

Yes, I have stayed there many times.  It is nice.  That is one exception, but there should be a process to combine and upgrade, pay a $ difference, or just cash them in for points.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Very true.  And it shines as a Cat 4 mainly because there are limited dining choices, otherwise it would be a 6 or maybe even 7.

What about convincing Chase to make the free night cert good at any Marriott, any category?  That would work for me, and  be, of course, based on availability (the catch?)

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I hate to be contrary on this, but free is free, and I love these certificates.  I use 100 percent of the certificates I earn.  Indeed, as I've suggested in the past, I'm available to help folks holding expiring coupons - if you can't use them, I will.  Yes, it's true - 5's are better than 4's, and most of these certificates are worthless if you want to spend a free night in NYC, but that's (to my mind) surprisingly short-sighted....   When in doubt, try something new or be generous (and revel in the joys of giving)....

All BS aside, may I suggest:

• See the country (or the world).  There are staggering numbers of wonderful hotels in great (and interesting) locations around the country.  Last time I checked, here are a lot more Marriott properties at level 5 and below than there are at 6 and above....  Hit the road, try someplace new....
    • Check out minor league pro sports - particularly baseball and hockey (those are our favorites) - which are frequently played in smaller towns.  Enjoy the game (tickets are cheap) and your hotel is free.  What's not to like?!?!?!?!?
    • Offer a free night to your administrative assistant - specifically, the one that helps you with your travel - he or she might really enjoy it.
    • Ask your kids or other relatives if they want a free night away somewhere.  Folks really appreciate these types of offers.
    • And, if worst comes to worst, if you travel on business, save your employer some money, and use one on your next trip.  (There's a certain fairness or equity in such a payback....)
    • Or, as I suggested above - just email with a couple weeks notice - I'd love to spend your free night certificate for you!!!!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Like anadyr, I have used all of mine. In 3 years, I've used 12 promo certs (combintation of cat. 1-4 & cat. 1-5) and am sitting on 4 others (one more on the way after another stay this month to complete the current MegaBonus) which I will use before they expire.

Much of my travel is outside of the areas dominated by top-tier catergories, so I have no trouble finding places to use my certs. I'm using one at the Renaissance South Park in Charlotte, NC later this month (category 5). I used 2 category 4 certs in Bristol, England last fall. Will use a few in Arlington, VA in early November.

It may be getting harder to find places to use certs, but a it is far from impossible. I've stayed at some very nice category 4 and 5 properties, just not in places like NYC or London.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

For those of us of a certain age, certs are one more way of "stickin' it to the man!" I'm gonna stick a couple more to him come June.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...