3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2014 4:56 AM by pluto77 RSS

Recommendations: Category 4 properties walking distance to the Beach

upup89 Silver 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I was hoping there were some good recommendations on where I can burn some of these certs that I have. I'd like something in CA or FL within a block or two from the beach that are category 4 or less. Perhaps I am asking too much?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Florida, USA
California, USA
  • Re: Recommendations: Category 4 properties walking distance to the Beach
    jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

upup89,

Welcome to Marriott Rewards Insiders (MRI).  The one property that immediately comes to mind that would fit what you are looking for is Fairfield Inn & Suites Jacksonville Beach, Jacksonville Beach Hotels.  You can use the "Reviews" section of this website to see what others have said about the property.

pluto77 has written extensively on MRI about California.  She may know of any properties that meet what you are looking for in California.

Wherever you go, enjoy your travel and come back to the site and tell us about it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

I tried this exercise a couple of years ago (even before the Category increases) and you're right, it's pretty disappointing. For ol' times sake, I went to advanced search, clicked on hotel directory, went to Florida, clicked on Hotel Category #4 and came up with 67 properties, most of them west of Rt. 1 or east of the gulf.

The Fairfield Inn in Jacksonville says it's 100 yards from the white sandy beach. Trip advisor is so-so (some saying there's nothing else) but for a Cat. 4 and beach, it looks like a possibility.

California used to have the Fairfield in Capitola - I never made it and it's now a 5 (probably on its way to a 6).

Good luck.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi upup,

Yes, since the big category bump last May, it is almost impossible to find category 4 hotels near the water in CA, as they are all cat. 5 and above now.  I suggest that you contact Marriott customer service and ask to be put into the category 5 certificate mega bonus promotions in the future, which will help some, but still will be a challenge to find places in CA within walking distance to the beach (though you can find places that are only a short drive.)  For the cat. 4's however, you might have to accept the fact of a 10 mile drive to the beach, say from Irvine, Santa Ana or Costa Mesa (to Newport Beach) or from San Marcos (to Carlsbad by the Sea.)  If you need any other ideas for those cat. 4 cents, let us know.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...