46 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2014 2:37 PM by ssindc RSS

United Airlines strikes again

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just read this article:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/carry-crackdown-united-enforces-bag-size-limit-22769427

United claims that this new focus on bag enforement of current rules is to speed up the boarding process. So they are only increasing enforcement and are not motivated by making a few extra bucks? I don't believe that for a second. Bag size limits have been in effect for years and even after bag fees were introduced and people jammed carry on bags to try and avoid the fee, this really hasn't been the main cause for slow boarding. I am sure all of us can remember an occasion where we saw someone with a bag we personally knew would never fit in the overhead bin and we sit there watching some knucklehead struggle with it but the FA gate checks it, so what no big deal. IMHO the boarding process could really be sped up if incompetent and entitled morons wouldn't stop bucking the process. United has an overly complicated zone system but if GAs called zones they way they should EVERY time and not just sometimes, and more importantly those incompetent and entitled passengers would just FOLLOW DIRECTIONS and LISTEN, boarding would be faster and more efficient for everyone. Until $h!theads stop trying to board in group 1 and 2 when their BP clearly states group 5, the boarding will always be slow no matter how many zones you have or how good the GAs are or how small the bags are. Rant complete!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: United Airlines strikes again
    pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

KS - I cannot agree more with your "rant." As United is my primary airline (and has been for 25+ years), I have seen it all.

As a 1K who believes he has earned his G1 boarding privilege, when I see the scenario of G2-5 trying to board as a G1, I will ALWAYS say something to the GA such as "I thought you controlled boarding by group number?" Oftentimes I do get a reply such as "It's just easier to let them pass through than to hold up the boarding process" I will quickly return a trite comment, "Then what good are rules if they aren't followed?"

Likewise, on the rather rare occasions, I will see a GA pull the non-G1 out of line and make them wait their turn. I will ALWAYS comment, "Thanks for pulling that person out of line. I feel my status does mean something. Thanks again!"

Thus I have a balanced approach - zing when needing a zinger, kudos when doing it right. Now if all United Premiers would speak up both ways, perhaps we as a group can see some results. Do you wish to join my campaign?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I would but UA isn't my preferred carrier as I am elite on AA. I do fly United sometimes however so I will join the campaign even in my limited capacity!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

We all have seen a person with carry-on bags that should have been checked.  Some of them belong to pilots.  I do think this should not be allowed.  It takes room from others and you see them banging the bag in the overhead, like it will get bigger to allow the bag to fit.  If you have rules, make sure that they are followed or just don't have them.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Cal,

By pilots I believe you're referring to deadheading crews rather than those who are flying the trip, correct?

Also, Flight Attendants who put their bags in the First Class overheads and take up space for one or more passengers, and I mean those who are working the flight.  Most of the closets are now large enough to hold their stuff and the galley certainly can be used for luggage since there isn't much in the way of food on the airplane....as long as that isn't against Fed. Regs.

Once when in front, 3 pilots boarded before me, each had 2 large bags.  By the time I got on, all the overhead was full and no one offered to make room for mine.  They were sitting in first too.  There was a time when they were trained that the passenger came first and they would not have a job if not for us.  I think that is long past.

erc Platinum

I've had similar circumstances occur, where I board relatively early (Group 2 - with Group 2) and have three or four 'deadheading' pilots' bags above my seat. But as we've seen, just like the shortage of hotels built in the past five years leading to a supply problem for customers, a pilot shortage is our next concern   Do airlines face a pilot shortage or a salary problem? - latimes.com

IMO, we're edging back toward the early loyalty program days (as companies reduce their outstanding liabilities) where benefits are limited to the most dominant users. I'm just thankful my 'hey days' of earning (80's and 90's) were nicely rewarded as I go Back to the Future, just looking for the best deal whatever the name of the service provider, using tips and ideas from my pals at Insiders (heck, I might even be forced to go mo-bile, since I'm no longer a-gile) .

Hang in there ks77 you'll adapt, improvise, and overcome, you're a travel whiz.

Cal,

Some pilot contracts with their airline have a clause that when they are deadheading on certain legs they get a First Class seat so that may have been what you encountered.  If my memory serves me UA pilots get First Class when deadheading to fly an international flight, even if it's the next day.  Glad they helped and their bags will always be larger as they have their Flight OPS Manual plus charts along with them unless they are flying aircraft that use iPads for their stuff such as the B788 and some B772/3.

While I've been a long time high end FF on CO and now this fly friendly thing called UA,  I have never had anyone even look at my roll-a-board let alone question it's size.  My roll-a-board is not of legal size at 24" so unless the airplane is one with the new overhead bins where it fits in wheels out above Row 1 & 2 I have to put it in sideways, otherwise it fits wheels out in the rest of the plane. Looks like I'll be going out in the next week and getting a 22" roll-a-board just so I'm not that guy who they make go out and check his bag (can't wait to see that enforced).

I don't believe it for a second that UA isn't looking for some sly revenue maker since all the rest of their tactics still leave them a distance billion behind DL in last years earnings.  The problem isn't with the carry-on luggage as much as it is with travel guy who wanders around with that patented blank stare on his face.  As pingreeman mentions he has no idea what boarding group he is in, then gets on the plane and can't figure out what seat he has, then when he finds his seat he has to take his laptop, iPad, headphones, cellphone and associated charging cables before thinking of putting the luggage in the overhead all the time while standing in the aisle so nobody else can pass him.  Travel smart I say to those who fit into travel guy, none of which are Insiders!

Flight attendants also need to start paying attention to the overheads more closely and communicating with the GA, when they are nearing capacity so they are checked at the gate and left in the jetway rather than taken on to the aircraft and then must fight upstream to get back to the jetway only to have flight attendants tag them.  All this increases boarding congestion and time.

Toss travel guy in with the group boarding issues, the way UA is often scheduling an airplane that seats 175 passengers to arrive at airport X at 2:30 PM get it de-planned, cleaned, catered (what is that?), boarded and door closed for the scheduled departure at 2:50 PM.  I've seen that scheduling issue up many times in the last year with UA, and each time your boarding pass has boarding time of 2:15 PM, heck the plane hasn't even landed let alone found it's way to the gate.

In my opinion all of the above is the root of the issue for flight delays which is what UA should be trying to fix, not carry-on luggage size regardless of size of the bag as long as it doesn't contain most of their household goods.

I'm on board with the CAMPAIGN!!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Another awesome post by IAHFLYR!!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'm one of the few that always has adhered to the carry-on luggage size restrictions. On most domestic flights I travel with my 18" roll-aboard and either a very small daypack or my laptop case. When I can't fit everything in these, I'll use my 22" roll-aboard bag (usually on a trip overseas when I need to pack for longer than a week). Either of these carry-on bags easily accomodate my needs. The 22'' bag can be checked (and often on international flights is on the way home so I can pack a bottle of "medicine" ).

I'm no fan of checked bag fees, so I do all I can to carry everything with me while still staying within the size limits. It's maddening to see dufflebags larger than me being stuffed into the overhead bins. I will continue to play by the rules and will applaud airlines for making other passengers do the same. I don't particularly care what the carry-on size rules are, just make everyone abide to them.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I hear you, IAHFLYR, and pingreeman is right, but I just don't have the energy to fight these battles most of the time.... This system is increasingly unpleasant, and this is just one more reason why I check my bag(s), take my seat, open my book (and, yes-sir-ee-bob, it sure is nice to not have to shut down my Kindle anymore), and try to enjoy the ride...  But I digress to ground we've covered before: http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/polls/1276

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

I'm not going to start bad-mouthing United, similar to pingreeman UA has been my preferred carrier for 24+ years and I've been treated great.  With that said I totally agree with the idea of zingers and kudos, but I also agree with ks77 regarding all the morons who either don't know what they're doing because they've got one device or another jammed into one ******* or another and don't listen to boarding announcements or the entitled ones who believe "the rules aren't for me."  They are the real problem here.  Same thing when going through TSA check points, just listen, do what you're told and you won't have any problems.  The biggest idiot I saw going through security was adamant about keeping his small child in a car seat when he put it through the bag scanner; he said he didn't want the kid to cry when taken out of the car seat.  Geez I'd rather listen to a kid cry than listen to some idiot who wants to jam his child through the bag scanner.

On the plane I happen to follow the rules; I have my regulation size carry-on and my one personal item, I know the overhead bin size of all the planes I fly on, I never book a bulkhead seat to avoid trying to find a place for my stuff, I listen to the safety announcements, I keep my seatbelt fastened, I turn off my cell phone when instructed, and I NEVER change seats with anyone, so don't even ask.  I board in Group 1 and then just sit there sipping my wine, shaking my head at how ignorant some people are.  I do agree with United in trying to enforce bag size since much of the boarding process bottle-neck is due to people who try to jam huge bags into the overhead bins or under the seat.

As for the campaign, I often give kudos when deserved but I'll consider a polite way to zing when deserved also.  Thanks for the suggestion.

insidenji,

I really hope you don't think I was bad mouthing UA with my scheduling comment as I was simply stating what I've run into a few times in the last year.  Do they schedule most flights that way, no.  Do they schedule them tight, yes because an airplane doesn't make money on the ground as we all know, but the example given happens and worse at times.  Our last trip to Europe on UA gave us a nice 2+30 connection in EWR, but the flight to MUC was coming in from NRT and to land 25 minutes before our departure time.  Not even Southwest could turn a B772 around in that time period, never mind it was parking at a Terminal B and had to be towed over to Terminal C where we were to leave from.

Anyway, most Insiders know that like yourself I've been treated very well by UA since the merger however; I am not a huge fan of the over all airline itself, things they've done operationally (but that is for another thread one day) nor who is controlling the ship.  I will gladly support the effort to reduce boarding time and get out early as well as get my never discovered 24" roll-a-board down to the required 22" in order to give that late arriving seat mate of mine enough room to get theirs in the bin while I'm enjoying my wine as well.

Gee wonder if I can slip that illegal sized Travel Pro by some and sell it soon on eBay?

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

I really didn't think you were bad-mouthing United but thanks for setting the record straight, I'm fairly new on this site so I guess it will take a bit of time to get used to everyone's writing style.  Trust me, I've had some nightmare experiences with United, not many considering how much I've flown with them, but I learned a long time ago loyalty is a wonderful thing.  I've been very loyal to United and Marriott and it has paid off; a lot!

Agreed, loyalty has kept me out of some possible bad travel experiences when the fit hits the shan.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Great post! I can't believe some people when it comes to TSA. Common sense has unfortuntately become not so common.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

I completely agree with all that has been said here regarding airline motives, moron travelers, and how best to streamline the boarding process.

A couple of things come to mind for me additionally however, which can cause some confusion at times, and I can't help but wonder if that might make me seem on occasion, like that moron traveler.  I'm not talking about boarding groups or seat assignments (huge pet peeve of mine too, and not rocket science even for the infrequent traveler, especially on small planes, and some passengers feign ignorant on purpose, like we don't see right through their ruse.  I will not give up my seat for an able bodied single passenger without good reason, and especially not by manipulative tactics.)

What I'm referring to is:

1) Inconsistencies with TSA both from airport to airport and within the same airport from time to time.  At airport A, I don't have to take my shoes and belt off, but still have to take the liquids out.  Next flight, same airport and check-point, I'm yelled at for being "pre" and taking my liquids out.  Make up your mind already.  At airport B (again always the same checkpoint), I don't have to take my liquids out.  Then suddenly some cranky moron agent tells me I have to.  I start to object when the agent's colleague corrects her, and now she's mad at (rude towards) me because she felt embarrassed by the correction.

2) The term frequent flyer is relative.  I consider myself one who flies frequently, but not quite enough for status (and free checked bags), but it mostly doesn't matter, as I don't care to check my bags anyway.  I do a lot of regional flying, which happily means gate checking bags is offered because of the plane size.  I say happily because in the event that my regulation sized carry-on is full to bulging, I can still gate check it for free and not have to actually check it and pay the fee and wait for baggage claim, etc.  Now I know the rules and am happy to comply with them and I know that when my regulation size carry-on bag is bulging, I have to surrender to gate checking, and that's fair.  But sometimes I don't want to gate check my non-full, non-bulging regulation size carry-on, because when I deplane, I don't want to unnecessarily have to stand around and wait for all of the gate check bags to be unloaded onto a cart, etc. etc. etc.  In these instances, I'd just as much prefer to board with it, throw it in the overhead, grab it once we've landed and be out of there.  So if my regulation size carry-on is not full (and I know the difference), theoretically it should be fine to board with.  But there is an unknown variable, and that is the size of the overheads, depending on which plane I am flying on.  I don't believe that all overheads are created equal, and I'm sorry, but I just don't have them memorized from aircraft to aircraft (Q400, CRJ-7's and 9's, MD88's, 737's, 8's, 9's, E120's (well, nothing fits in those) and which ones my "carry-on" sized bag will fit in.  This variable can therefore create a potential problem.  I had an issue recently putting my little overnight bag (smaller than a roll-a-board) in an overhead, because the overhead was surprisingly narrow.  It was a Q400 and shouldn't have been a problem.  I was caught by surprise, as I hurriedly shoved on that darn thing.

3)  About that passenger who has to stand in the aisle holding up traffic while he sorts out all of his toys for the flight.  I have been harassed by gate agents for having a carry-on (22" roll-a-board), a small purse and a small lunch bag, because that is three, count 'em, three items, and by golly you are only allowed to have two (the roll-a-board was going to be gate checked).  Because the purse and the lunch bag were the exact same size, I obviously couldn't put one inside the other.  She made me put one item in my full roll-a-board, thus holding up the line.  I was not a happy camper.  Especially because there were large ladies in line behind me with their roll-a-boards and giant "purses" that were 6 times the size of my purse and lunch sack combined.  What ever happened to common sense?  Then after holding up the line to comply, I then had to pull it out again once on the plane.  So now I am afraid to keep anything like a lunch sack or my headphones (around my neck even) out at the gate for fear of a repeat of that nonsense happening again.  I have at least learned to put everything in that roll-a-board except for my purse, and then after passing muster with the gate agent and prior to actually boarding the plane, I get my stuff for the flight out of the side pocket of the roll-a-board before boarding, in an effort to not block the aisle.  But there is a first time for everybody, and my point is that unless you fly a lot, you don't know these things.  And it's easy for the infrequent flyer to forget these little nuances.  I guess I can see how infrequent passengers can become very flustered by the time they board the aircraft after having to deal with TSA inconsistencies and nazi gate agents, etc. and by that time be a complete mess.

So just my 2 cents.  I always try to gird myself with patience.  Especially when making a last connection coming off of a huge time zone change (especially in the UA domestic terminal .)

You go pluto77, I love it!!!!

I can't tell you how many times I have gone down the jetway while still grabbing things from my backpack such as headphones, phone, and reading material (Flying Mag of course) all while being the first on the plane (unless the rouge air marshal happens to be there first rather than stay incognito) just to not hold up the rest of the boarding.  This of course happened because I spent too much time in the UA Club enjoying my "Meds" that jerrycoin told me to get prescribed!!!

Great post Mrs. Pluto.

I have had similar challenges.  I have reading material and sometimes, I carry it and am told that it counts.  I need to stop to put it in my carry on and then when at my seat, remove it.

One time, I went before boarding and asked the preference and was told that I could carry them on and then still was stopped at the boarding and had to put them away.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

United seems to have slower boarding than other airlines I've flown--Alaska Airlines seems to be fairly quick.  The people bringing big carry-ons (or lots of them) don't really bother me though because I've always been able to find a spot in the overheard compartment for my carry-on whether I was flying on an airline where I have status (like United) or an airline I don't fly regularly (like Delta, Southwest, Alaska).

In terms of baggage fees, I think many airlines are doing them now so that does not bother me either.  Southwest does not charge baggage fees and at least the one at LAX is rough because of it--it seems like many flying out of LAX who need to check baggage fly with Southwest and usually bring two bags.  I had to check a bag once there and thankfully I came early...very, very long line.

IMO, I believe one of the biggest issues with carry-on baggage is not always the size of the bags, but the overuse of overhead bin space for laptop bags and other small bags that could easily fit under the seat. Based on my observations, the worst offenders are those with elite status (how ironic) which are also the ones to complain the most (usually).

Fortunately, I am in the first group to board, so I almost always have a space in overhead in my row. A "benefit" of boarding first is that I have watched those who put everything "up" and nothing "under" and will make a mental note of who are the culprits. While I have yet to get "punched in the face" by the offender, I will let the late-boarding passenger know that "the black laptop bag belongs to seat 7F - if he moves it you'll have room." I have gotten some really bad looks but it IS the RULE to put smaller bags under the seat in front of you (geez, they announce this rule at least 3-4 times on every boarding to where it is annoying).

Which brings me to my final grief - I should not be "volunteering" to police the over/under rules, yet I rarely see a flight attendant enforce the multi-announced rule. If the FAs would back up their announcement with a little more policing or follow-through, baggage size/number would be a moot point.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I have around 4m total lifetime miles with around 2.7m on the new AA. Since I have flown a lot over at least 30 years I have continued to see changes that hassle flyers. People don't want to check bags for two reason( to me)  it can cost and checked bags can take a long time to get out . So airlines merge so it becomes difficult to get First class upgrades  they nickel and dime you everywhere and fares keep going up. I therefore fly SW a lot. No change fees( most big airlines now are at 200)  don't have to pay for checked bags which eliminates reason number one and I find their ability to get checks bags out in general is quicker than other airlines so overheads tend to be not quite as full. And ( their fares have gone up) their fares if you are well in advance still tend to be lower than the big guys.

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

I agree with the majority of comments regarding the boarding process and the use or abuse of overhead space.  I do think the flight attendants should be more proactive in enforcing the announcements but, come on, aren't most flyers old enough to take responsibility for their own actions?  The announcements are made ad nauseum; before, during and after the boarding process.

With that said, prior to take-off, I have seen headrests raised, seatbacks reclined, tray tables down, electronic devices on, purses and other bags on laps, and huge suitcases sticking out of the space under the seat in front of the flyer, so if there was some sort of an emergency and I had to get out of my window seat I would be tripping over the suitcase.  The majority of the flight attendants walk right by.  Or what really irritates me is one will say, "Oh that suitcase on the floor can't be sticking out, let me find a place for it."  And then she digs around and rearranges the overheads so the suitcase will fit.  Or "Who is the owner of this heavy winter jacket (jammed in the overhead, taking up space that someone else could use for their bag)?"   Then they offer to hang the coat in the front closet!!  Geez perhaps we should keep rewarding bad behavior (note sarcasm).

Pingreeman,

You raise a very good point and it is well taken.  However when I thought about how I could apply your observation to my own recent flying habits, in terms of thinking about how I could do better with stowing the smaller stuff under the seat, something occured to me... Lately I am doing a lot of short, turn around flying to my parents house.  To help ease the hassle, I have taken to leaving a lot of my stuff there, so that often, the only thing that I take onboard with me besides my purse (which must be stowed under the seat during takeoff and landing) is an over-the-shoulder bag, probably 14" X 16" and not bulky, maybe 6" deep, as very little needs to go back and forth.  The over-the-shoulder bag will certainly fit under the seat for the duration of the flight, but at the expense of leg room.  Since I am being economical in terms of baggage, do you think I should have to give up my leg room (already limited by the pitch in the economy cabin) just because I am in fact being a good steward of economy?  Just curious.

pluto77  - I don't think you will like my answer, but yes, I do believe that should go under the seat - SIDEWAYS -  which should provide enough remaining foot-space between it and the seat brackets. Unless you do this, others are likely to follow what they perceive is "bad behavior" and think "if YOU can do it, then so CAN I." Even with your explanation, which I deem merits a little lee-way, it still usurps the 4-5 announcements of "please put your smaller bags under the seat in front of you and your larger bags in the overhead." Technically, it is your larger bag (and only bag), so based on the announcement, you are following the rules , but it becomes a matter of perception at this point.

Ping,

I appreciate your honesty and you're correct that I don't much like the reply , though I do see where you are coming from.  If other people choose to be focused on what their neighbor is doing (and misinterpreting what their neighbor is doing, for instance in my case me and my small, but "larger" bag) rather than paying attention to and following the rules for themselves, then it wouldn't be a problem.  But it is not a perfect world, and as such, you are suggesting that I sacrifice personally in order to compensate for bubbleheads.  I can be open-minded, and though the legroom is restricted in the economy cabin to begin with, I'll give it a try.  On short duration flights (one hour or less), I can't really rightfully complain.

Only flying about 12-18 times/year, I have apparently been fortunate that I have not run into a situation in recent memory where overhead storage was used up (and it is my habit to board toward the end of the line), so it's not something that I focus on in terms of what everybody else is doing.  Other than having to wait for others to stow their junk and those times when I find my seat occupied by someone else, and now doing what I know to do to keep gate agents - HAPPY!, I have had very few issues with flying in terms of passenger abuse or ignorance of rules, or lack of common sense.  As mentioned previously, patience and forbearance (and in the situations below, assertiveness) wins the travel day.

You're right - perception is everything and also we must pick and choose our battles.  I would easily stow the small stuff (and my only stuff) under the seat for a higher cause before I would let someone help themselves to my seat just because they like it better than their assignment and have a "first come, first serve" attitude with regards to it.

Me:  "Pardon me, I think you're sitting in my seat."

Passenger sitting in my seat and clearly knowing it:  "Oh you'll be just fine right here," in a condescending tone and patting her hand on the aisle seat next to her.

Me:  Paused (in shock, did she really just do that?)  "Nooo... I'll be just fine sitting in my seat, thank you."

Me:  "Pardon me, I think you're sitting in my seat."

Passenger sitting in my seat slowly sits up from their slouched, I've-made-myself-quite-comfortable-and-relaxed-for-the-next-two-hours position, and feigning surprise (but without conviction) while making no attempt to move: "Oh, am I?"

Me:  "Yes, I believe you are."

Silence.  No movement.  I continue to stand there looking at her quizzically.  She continues to sit still.

Finally, "Well, I'll have to move ALL of my stuff..."

She looks all around herself, as if to say 'what a hassle this is going to be, and is it really necessary?'

Me standing there:  "I'm patient.  I can wait."

She sigh's with irritation and makes a big deal about gathering all of her stuff, finally moving out of my seat.

Me:  "Thank you."

Me:  "Pardon me, but I believe you're in my seat."

Them:  "Does it really matter?"

Me:  "Yes, it does."

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

pluto77

Although I think it has only happened to me maybe twice, another route that I use is:

Me: "I think you are in my seat, which seat are you supposed to be in?" (Because this approach makes them check their boarding pass.)

Them: "12F"

Me: "Actually, this is 12A, 12F is on the other side (pointing to it)"

Them: "Oops my fault I'll move"

Both times was an obvious goof on their part.

If in a case where a parent says "Oh little Timmy likes the window" I would say, "Well that's my seat,I specifically chose that seat because its the window"

Granted, when its a 1 hour flight or less, who really cares but when its a 4,5,6 hour flight, I want the seat I chose because I paid for it and specifically chose it and was issued it so therefore it is mine.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

I would like to add to the seat conversation that I have given my seat up happily many times to people who have asked because they want to sit together and couldn't get seats together when booking or something similar. I have never been asked on a long-haul flight (over 3 hours) so I might have to rethink that courtesy if it ever arose. I will say though that in each case where I have given up my seat, it has been for another seat just like it, ie aisle seat (due to many bathroom breaks which is another story altogether). I do remember one time where I wished I hadn't given up my seat so quickly but it wasn't all that bad, just a fairly huge person next to me but the flight was very short.

With that said, I would never give my seat to someone who just blatantly "took" it because I am sure my shekels would raise up quickly and keep me from being the "good ole gal" that I normally am (that is,  when no one is crossing me...)

Amen.  Attitude is everything.  I don't care if it is a one hour flight, if someone is going to mistreat or manipulate me, then sorry, but I'm not playing.  Honesty and/or a polite request will go a lot farther.  Ask me nicely, give me a good reason (and if at all possible, don't ask me to relocate next to a super-sized human, or to a really bad seat on a long haul), and I'm all yours.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

pingreeman

That's awesome. I would love to see one of those instaces for myself. What could they possibly say? Thanks you jerk? All you would have to respond with is "Didn't you hear the 4 announcements?" And if they get huffy just grin.

ks77 - you must have been on some of my flights to see the exact reactions I have received! You should be there when a coach passenger tries to sneak by me in 1st class to get closer to the exit - I have a rehearsed remark, "Do you cut in line for urinals, too, or do you wait your turn?" (One of my last replies was "a-hole" and I countered, "wrong side of the subject, sir.") You should have heard my fellow 1st class passengers laugh!

I guess being an over all smartbutt I should make more comments on flights, but for some reason I usually take the higher road and just give them that look and then laugh at their rude ignorant attitude all while taking note of who they are....gee I hope they are not sitting right behind me as my seat will certainly be in their lap for more of the flight than they'd like if they have really crossed the line of stupid.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I basically do the same thing. I don't really ever speak up to other passengers. I find that when there is someone who is annoying or not following the rules, and I happen to have a connection, they somehow almost always end up on my second flight as well so I try to take that high road as well.

That's too funny as each time we find that annoying person at security or in the UA Club they are usually on our flight......HOW does that happen at an airport the size of IAH and with as many flights as there are, HOW I ask? 

I might have to just start carrying the famous Bill Engvall "Here's your sign" card and pass them out.

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

I totally agree with you on that one, I can usually spot my seatmates in one of three ways:

1.  Coughing up a lung

2.  Multiple screaming children in tow

3.  Paid or should have paid for 2 seats

But then have had some very enjoyable plane encounters as well.

erc Platinum

My bete noire is the door closing, defensive tackle, creator of chaos who just happens to be my seat mate in the oh so close, almost empty, middle seat.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Absolutely...don't you just love that when your middle seat is empty and more as more and more passengers pile in it stays empty and the just when you think the door is about to close they come and sit down. Or my favorite, they are holding us until an inbound flight with a handful of passengers are connecting and boom they are your seatmate so not only did you have to wait specifically for them they are now beside you.

After reading everything here, it occurs to me that (the hassles of) commercial passenger flying really are not for the faint of heart.  Between TSA, inconsistencies and lack of enforcement (and good judgement) of rules and policies from airlines, clueless flyers, entitled flyers (regardless of status), and infrequent flyers or at least less frequent flyers, and some of the nonsense that some of the airlines pull with regards to operations (which IAHFLYR has so well spelled out) the true frequent flyer puts up with a lot of hassle on a regular basis, and my hat is off to you folks.  You deserve every status perk that comes your way, though sadly, there are apparently not enough first class seats to accommodate all of you, yet you press on.  I shall look upon you with much greater respect as I slowly amble past you in the aisle (because some joker in the 3rd row of economy is sorting out their stuff!) while you're seated in your leather recliner, sipping your well deserved glass of champagne.

Cheers.

For the record, I do not ALWAYS make a point with some sarcasm, because a lot depends on the circumstances, but we have all met them - those idiots who are intentionally "overwhelming." I do choose my battles.

Regarding seat assignments - Every November/December (Thanksgiving/Christmas months) when I am upgraded to first class and I see a military person in uniform on my flight, I request the gate agent to swap my seat with the young man or woman who deserves my appreciation for their service to my country. You have never seen a better smile or received a better "Thank you sir!" from such deserving individuals (or a better feeling inside).

Any ideas on why a thread with UA on it gets so many responses? 

I bet our waffle king erc can do some ciphering and come up with some stats for us!!

erc Platinum

Funny that you shou...(oops, had to wipe syrup off my mouth) anyway, I do have a regression analysis of how your favorite airline seems to get everyone all roused up (is it United or you?) but like the saying goes, "statistics are like bikinis, they seldom reveal the most important parts".

I have read through all the posts and thought about what I am doing now and what I used to do.  No one has mentioned the fact that the airline keeps making our space smaller.  I used to stow everything that I could under the seat and still had room for my legs.  I liked keeping my stuff close because I keep reading material in it as well as other things that I like to access during flight.  Now I try to store what is allowed in the overhead because I have no legroom if I don't.  I am not that tall and sympathize with a tall person who can't fit into the space allotted and try for an aisle so that can extend their legs into the aisle.  I do feel that if they do that they should watch for people coming soon the aisle so they don't trip.

As promised our two new 22" Travel Pro Flight Crew 4 roll-a-boards just arrived.  They are going to work out just fine and we'll still be able to pack everything for a week of travel thus avoiding dreaded baggage claim.

I know ssindc will be happy to hear that we will still not be what is holding his luggage up in getting to him.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...