10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2014 12:23 PM by anadyr RSS

The Flyer Talk Awards for 2104 announced

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Here is the list courtesy of CNN, with some interesting choices. Marriott Rewards gets a mention for concierge lounges.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: The Flyer Talk Awards for 2104 announced
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

No surprise to me that American won in the airline category.  I thin they are the best! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I agree that the Concierge Lounge is a great benefit, but I wasn't a big fan of the Crystal City Marriott Concierge Lounge, which was shown in that article.  That Concierge Lounge actually has a nice and modern layout with a variety of seating options (noticeably better than most Marriott and Renaissance Concierge Lounges), but the food quality was quite below average on my visit.

erc Platinum

What I found fascinating about the 2014 (Fast Eddie thumbs) FlyerTalk Awards was that FlyerTalk announced on their forum last night that CNN was announcing the winners. That's (to me) like the Oscars running a press conference announcing that NBC has released the names of the winners .

One of the reports said Marriott had knocked off last year's winner, Carlson for Concierge. I would like to know who won last years other hotel awards (i.e. did Marriott slip). One of the comments on FlyerTalk discussed the relevant point that few travelers know about more than two programs (if more than one) and that it is essentially a popularity contest. I still credit any winners (Marriott included) because even with the numbers, they had to satisfy their clients enough for them to make the effort to vote. Although United is a paradox; each year landing last or next to last in customer service, but winning or finishing second in their loyalty program (think how good that Loyalty Program would be considered if United delivered the service).

On a different thought, I was impressed by the fact that this forum, Insiders (not Rewards which has over 40 million members and added millions last year, more than a million in China alone) added over 47,500 new members, at least six of them have shared a travel idea. It's apparently all about the numbers.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Beauty contests merely reinforce the fact that there are contestants in a pageant, some win, all are worthy and strikingly beautiful, IMHO.  Contests like this one merely represent the voters, albeit willing travelers, who check the block for their candidate.  So, as the old saying goes, I wouldn't touch these results with a ten foot poll.

erc Platinum

Bravo, your cleverness trumped your typing .

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Anadyr

I realize you like to jump-the-gun, so to speak, but discussion on the 2104 Flyertalk awards may be a bit premature don't you think??  I'm still waiting for the re-valuation of hotel properties…..

ansaa Member

Thanks for posting the article, anadyr! It's always interesting to see the "people's choice" each year.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...