21 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2014 5:06 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Help me decided between Munich Marriott or Residence Inn Munich

patrish Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I'm traveling with a friend to Munich in June and I'd like some feedback ou there as to which property to stay in Munich.  I've been to the Residence Inn and was highly satisfied with what they had to offer and I felt like I had great service there but was only there 2 days.  This time will be a longer stay and I plan to see a few castles and to try to get to Salzburg as well for an overnight trip.  Kitchen facilities (even though they are small) sound like a good idea but a spa and pool (even though it's indoors) sounds like a good idea as well.  Has anyone stayed at both or either and which way would you guide me? 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Munich, Bavaria, Germany Marriott Hotels & Resorts Munich Marriott Hotel
  • Re: Help me decided between Munich Marriott or Residence Inn Munich
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

patrish,

Can't speak for the RI, but can give "High Marks" for The Marriott, it's got:

Fashionable location

Wonderful "Champions" Sports Bar

Close to subway, for easy transportation to airport or downtown.

Nice spacious rooms, backed by nice staff

Treatment of MR members is very good, comped my breakfast on my last stays.  NO CL, but no problem.

It's a great choice you have to make.  Salzburg, is a nice drive or train trip for a "Day Trip"!

Good luck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    Munich, Bavaria, Germany Marriott Hotels & Resorts Munich Marriott Hotel

Thanks, I keep reading reviews on Tripadvisor because the reviews on this site are older and the Munich Marriott is not fairing out so well.  I figured out from some of the reviews that there is No Lounge but I think I'd get over it.  A little harder to get to from the airport but I think I can get us there from being there 4 months ago.  I think the double beds sound better than trying to share a queen or one of us sleeping on the sofa bed.  If you check it out the ratings for the RI are better than the Marriott.  That's what's worrying me.  I trust you opinion because you were right about the County Hall when some reviews had been less than desireable.  So you think renting a car is okay because there's a stop I'd like to make kind of on the way to Salzburg.  If we take the train I will miss the Eagle's Nest.  I'd like to see the place and the view.  Have you been there and is it worth it?

patrish,

Never been to The Eagle's Nest, but would enjoy going!  Sounds spectacular.

Yes, getting a car is easy and a plus for Munich.  Make sure you get an automatic.  I know the area around The Marriott is nice, and I think nicer than the RI, but I don't know that area as well.

The Marriott is easy to get to from The Munich Airport, (Depending on your luggage situation).

A couple of other things:

If you don't need a car "Right away" don't get it till you are for sure you will need it!  Get it for the day, turn it back in that evening.  Save the trouble of parking and cost associated with the car.

patrish, having been to Salburg, I have another much better, and closer place to visit.  Garmisch and Oberammergau are really easy and spectacular.  Please review previous posts on the subjects and do consider.

BTW, there are people who would NOT enjoy County Hall.  It is not inexpensive, nor ultra modern.  However, for me, the location, quietness, and the staff are great for me!

No matter what you decide, you will have a wonderful time.  Let us know if you need more detailed information for your trip!

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

patrish,

I completely agree with jerrycoin on the Munich Marriott and would also give it high marks.  The subway stop (U6 - Nordfriedhof) is a very short walk from the property.  The property does not have a lounge; however, if you have status as a gold or above, you will have access to the breakfast buffet in the restaurant each day.  In the evening, you will also have access to a drink and desert in the restaurant.  We enjoyed our stay at the property last December and would not hesitate to spend time there in the future.  As I recall, I reserved the property based on jerrycoin's review of the hotel.  I am certainly glad that I did.       

gm1,

That is kind of you to mention me as a "Good Source" of travel information on Munich!

No place is really "Perfect" so one has to chose their place based upon their:

Budget

Comfort Level

Interests

Other's "Credible" information and more!

gm1, we all learn something from each other that helps us in our travels!

Thanks and I'm going to check out the other places you mentioned.  I just learned the my ansestors were from Baden Baden and all this time I had somehow figured they were from Bavaria.  I don't think I can fit everything in on this trip (the story of my life).  Always wanting to see more.  Sounds like the Munich Marriot may be the better choice. 

patrish,

If you do desire to drive to Baden-Baden from Munich it is a lovely place and a little over 2 hours one way on The Autobahn.  Be prepared to average over 100 MPH, but you will be passed by many cars at that "Average speed"!

Not kidding!

Let us know what we all can help with!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Patrish,

If I may, I read where you were wanting to visit some castles.  I would just like to pass along that you might want to look into getting reservations online and in advance for the King Ludwig castles in Bavaria.  When I visited Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein in 2010, we had no issues with purchasing tickets when we got there, however last year when I was visiting Garmisch-Partenkirchen with family, some of our group split off one day so that they could go visit the castles, and they were surprised to find that tickets were sold out when they got there, so it may be something to look into.  Another palace that is not too far from Munich is Schloss Linderhof, another of King Ludwig's.  Also, if you make it to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Ettal Abbey is wonderful.

Neuschwanstein Castle | Tourist info | Admission

Benediktinerabtei Ettal: Willkommen translated

Bavarian Palace Department | Linderhof Palace and Park | Tourist info | Reservation

Thanks, but I did go ahead and buy tickets for the Neuschwanstein Castle.  So that's taken care of.  I was afraid that in the summer it may be so busy and I really shouldn't leave it to chance because I didn't allow myself enough time to see it in November so I have talked a friend into going with me.  Usually I pay for one of my grandkids airfare because my husband thinks he just can't do that long haul flight.  Luckily I have a friend that lets me take charge and she's happy with whatever I come up with.  Room on points so my friend at least gets to take advantage of the free Marriott stay and free breakfast.  Thanks for looking out for me and that's good information. 

Patrish,

You are in for a real treat!  Here's a few photo's:

HPIM0068.JPG

Merian Bridge, from Nu Ch St!  Pure beautiful!

HPIM0101.JPG

Wonderful place to visit!  You will have a great time!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Wow, how lovely.

Wow, that view of the bridge is awesome.  Is that above the Castle?  Where did you take that photo from?  I booked our tour on Viator.  Not sure if that was a good idea or not but they say we will not have to wait in line to get in.  I hope they also show us this view of the Merian Bridge.  I am definitely taking notes.  Thanks again!

patrish,

Sorry to wait so long to get back to you!

Yes, the bridge shot is from the actual castle!  One word of warning, the trip is "Exhausting"!  You may want to get a ride on a "Cart" to the actual castle.  I walked, up and down, but it is not for everyone!

Here are a few more photo's:HPIM0061.JPG

The stream underneath the Castle,

HPIM0073.JPG

One of the many "Panoramic" views from the castle!

HPIM0115.JPG

Wonderful places to dine and relax at the castle.  (This was at the base of the castle, and shopping was most pleasant as well)!

Sounds like you have a good arrangement.  Enjoy!

Patrish,

I was a little confused as to whether you were referring to the Munich Marriott or the Munich Airport Marriott in Freising.  I can only speak to the Munich Airport Marriott (and the Munich CY, which doesn't sound like it interests you, and I probably wouldn't stay there again - it wasn't bad, I just prefer other properties).  The Munich Airport Marriott, on the other hand, is fantastic.  I cannot say enough good things about it, or the cute Bavarian town of Freising, where it's located.  Here's more info on the property, which has a pool and spa, no CL, but coupons for drinks and food in the evening, and a truly fantastic breakfast room in the mornings.  The service was amazing, and we were upgraded to a room with two beds (considered an upgrade).  I don't think the property has any suites.  The rooms were nice.  The town is lovely.  Not close to the airport - as the name might indicate - you'll have to take the s-bahn, or a shuttle (which is really a taxi and costs about 20€ total for all peoples and luggage), or pick up your car rental at the Munich airport.  The Munich Airport Marriott has some great room rates as well.

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/95128#95128

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/marriott-hotel-reviews/mucfr

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-photos/mucfr-munich-airport-marriott-hotel/

Let me know if you have any questions about this property.

patrish,

If going to the airport to catch your flight is a concern I'd very highly recommend the Kempinski Hotel at MUC.  We stayed there the night before our flight home last year and it is simply incredible from every angle, service, cleanliness, decor and being right in the airport getting to the terminal took us all of about three minutes.  With the train station in the terminal it's easy to get to the hotel as well. 

IAHFLYR,

You and I do think alike!

That was one of the highlights of the trip.  The last night right there at the airport!  Did the same thing in Rome.  Sure took the "Pressure" off an early morning flight!

IMG_2916.jpg

This place is pretty nice!  BTW, pluto77 is also so right by indicating The Munich "Airport" Marriott is NOT less than many miles from the Munich Airport!

I Picked a flight that leaves at 12:15pm so no worries.  I hate those super early flights even though I get up around 4:30 or earlier every morning.  I wasn't sure what time the train starts running. Maybe all night but I didn't want the expense of a taxi from Munich to MUC If the train didn't run all night. Nice picture!

Great minds think alike Jerry!!   The "meds" selections that were available at the Kempinski were outstanding as well.

Our flight wasn't all that early, something like 11AM IIRC, but being on the airport was very helpful, we do the same when leaving from MXP as well.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...