11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2014 11:24 PM by grace198 RSS

Using point for others & 5th free night

grace198 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I  have Marriott credit card. My husband wants to get his own Marriott credit card so that he can get bonus points.

Here is my first question.

1.If he make a hotel reservation for me to redeem his points, is that possible or only the person who is the owner of that card can redeem the point for himself?

Because He can't go to trip with us.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

As I know that,we can get 5th free night if we stay five nights according to instruction.

For using point,it says

The 5th night must be booked at the time of the reservation and applied in conjunction with the same stay.

But, for using cash + points it says like below.

'Every 5th redemption night is free when at least 5 nights are the same rate (either standard or PointSavers). The redemption nights do not need to be consecutive.'

Here is another question.

2. Does the same rate mean the US Dollar or point?

As I know that every hotel has a different price,but the redemption point is the same if we stay at the same level hotel(ex. level 2=10000)..

Because we plan to have trip for two weeks,but we will not sure that we might have consecutive 5 night stay  at the same hotel or not.

If the same rate mean the same level(the same point to redeem), then we think that we can find the hotel easily.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

3. If we can get 5th free night, do we still require to stay consecutive 5 nights at different hotel like Monday to Friday?

What if we stay Mon to Wed at some Marriott hotel and stay Friday to Saturday at another Marriott hotel? Thursday is missing for those plan.

Can we still get 5th night on Friday even though it is not 5 nights consecutive stay?

Thank you!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Using point for others & 5th free night
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I make reservations all the time for my wife and children using my points.  No problem.

Pretty sure that the 5th night free on points has to be consecutive nights at the same hotel.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

grace198 Silver

Thank you. 1.So you mean that you made reservation for them,not yourself,right?

I thought so,but the website says like that.

But, for using cash + points it says like below.

'Every 5th redemption night is free when at least 5 nights are the same rate (either standard or PointSavers). The redemption nights do not need to be consecutive.'

All your Marriott Rewards questions are answered in this FAQ

So they made me confused.

2.Did you have experience that you redeemed point & cash to get 5th free night for 5 consecutive nights stay?

blava007 Platinum

OK it’s not that the 5th night stay is free a, but when you redeem your MR points for a consecutive 5 nights stay you will only need points equivalent to 4 nights, thus 5th night is free.

It's 20% point discount for 5 night stay.

grace198 Silver

Yes I know that. You are right!

But this sentence still makes me confused from FAQ of the Marriott website.

I wonder what it mean exactly..

Because it says that 'the redemption nights do not need to be consecutive..'

Thank you for your answer though!

erc Platinum

Welcome to Insiders, good to have you on board. What it means about consecutive nights is the following:

Whereas you do of course have to use your five award nights (for the price of four) in one stay, you can, if you are staying more than five nights use the nights in any order you wish. Where this comes into play is say for example you book a seven night stay, using your 5 for 4 award points and paying for two nights - well, you would of course prefer to pay the two nights when the rate is lowest (often weekend nights). So you might check in on a Wednesday, using award nights Wed &Thurs; pay Fri & Sat; use award nights Sun/Mon and Tues. I've done this a couple of times going midweek (to better match it with award flight) and paid $99 for Friday and Saturday, getting the $289 weeknight rooms  for points.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

To be clear, I have never used the points plus cash feature.  Just doesn't look like a very good deal to me.  But, yes, I call the platinum reservation phone line and make the reservation, and tell them it is for my wife, etc.  No problem.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

grace198,

I've also made reservations with points for family members with no problems.  Keep in mind though that certificates are different and they do require the rewards member to be present.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...