1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 15, 2008 1:54 PM by scudderatc RSS

Golf in Scotland

azcatseye Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

My husband and I are thinking about a golf trip to Scotland. We are both reasonably good golfers and would like to play some interesting courses there. Seeking advice from those who have done so. What is the best time of year to play? What Marriotts are close by? Any tips for getting playing priviledges on private courses? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Golf in Scotland
    scudderatc Silver
    Currently Being Moderated

Went over last year.  Stayed at the Marriott Dalmahoy, which is just outside Edinburgh.  Two courses at the resort, one is not worth playing but the other was the site of the Senior Scottish Open last year, and was very enjoyable.  We spent 3 days there.  Also daytripped to Muirfield.  Then we ventured north and stayed at St. Andrew's for 3 days.  Obviously, this was expensive, but if you are going all the way to Scotland it would be a crime to miss this.  We finished with 4 days in Glasgow at the Westin Turnberry resort.  Played Turnberry Royal Troon and Prestwick while there.  All fantastic courses.  Obviously there are many other great courses, but these I can personally vouch for.  As far as getting on these courses, I do a lot of work with The Golf Channel, so they got me the tee-times in most cases.  However, sometimes staying at the course will get you on, in other situations you may have to work through a tour operator.  It is an expensive trip, especially now with the dollar plummeting against the pound, but it is one I will never forget.  Good Luck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...